My Day

LizG

35 minutes ago, Ray said:

Might as well join in ☺ Great Western railways Monday to Friday 06:00 to 18:00 and Saturday 06:00 to 13:30, every week, week in week out. I became a zombie and eventually quit for something where I at least got weekends off.

Happily retired now anyway πŸ‘

Might as well join in. When I worked for Babcock & Wilcox on repair jobs at power stations we used to work what were known as ghosters 8am to 8am then 8pm to 8pm

when I started my current job, I was just working normal office hours, but for the first 6 months until I passed my probationary period, i was working at Borehamwood- a good 2 1/2 hour drive from home- each way, I would leave home at 5.30am, and get back home around 7.30-8pm (depending upon traffic) eat then go to bed to start the whole round again next day. after my 6 month probation I was allowed to work from our office at Childerditch, a whole hour closer to home, where I have worked since, its still a 12 1/2 hour day (leaving at 6am returning home at 6.30pm) but that is due to optimising my timings for traffic and generally starting an hour early every day, this gives me some leeway when traffic is bad, or when I need to leave early.

Longest shifts.. At RAF Staxton Wold and at RAF Neatishead, In both cases, worked a normal Day shift , By which time we were snowed in, Spent the Night driving a snow Plough landrover, which at Neatishead Included going down to the mini roundabouts at Hoveton, rather than try to turn there. I went Down to the Station, then to RoysΒ  then back.

At least I had the snow plough on my military drivingΒ licence, the others were out shovelling.. Then did a full Day shift, by which time the main roads were cleared and the night shift came in.. So twice I've worked 36 hours.. Certainly several times I've worked 24 hours for the military..

Most of my working life I've worked 12 hours shifts with up to an hours travelling either end. Now it's a mere 8 hours at work with 3/4 hour travelling either end.

Sorry to hear about your day Griff, it's one of those "sod's law" things sometimes with Birthdays. Hope you did make it for dinner and can enjoy the remains of the day. I also recommend the practice of an an Official Birthday, pick a day that's free and enjoy something with loved onesπŸ‘

• Like 2

Or to be more accurate "My Morning" ! As it was such a beautiful morning I drank my tea on the terrace in my pyjamas.

Before I went in for my phone a Tawny had been hooting in my Yew tree but he had stopped or gone by the time I video'd. I had wanted to get the sound. He sits there alot at the moment or on the gable over the kitchen and is unbothered by me coming and going. My garden is very rich in Bank Voles so I am sure he is well fed.

20190824_053347.thumb.jpg.27ce00265af87d024b327e4493dd3a77.jpg

20190824_053401.thumb.jpg.2f737d0fe9ade3d1bb953949361945fe.jpg

20190824_053410.thumb.jpg.32c4bb0c9384a02fa027d72d5c230375.jpg

20190824_053513.thumb.jpg.b2c5956059fa90553786b1fdc8edc74e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We just got woken up by a crow or rook hammering his beak on the window which has been going on for weeks but never seen him up until now.Β  This now explains the frequent times we think someone is knocking on the neighbour’s door but no one to be seen.Β 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Common occurance and very annoying, They don't like their own reflection. I have travelled 11000+ miles away and had an Australian Corvid variety wake me up in my cabin on the Wilson's Promontory, the most southern piece of mainland Oz.

I had to move my bird table as an early morning thief would see himself in my kitchen window.

• Like 1

When we lived on the green belt north of London we used to have an enormous garden full of treesΒ of all kinds and were visited byΒ most birds but the oneΒ I remember particularly Β is aΒ golden pheasant who Tony use toΒ feed each morning before he wentΒ to work. On his day off, therefore not up so early, Fred as we called him wouldΒ come banging on all 3 sets of patio doors lookingΒ forΒ his breakfast. He was a magnificent looking bird.

Β 

Β 

Carole

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not quite on the Broads but we’re in Lowestoft today. Have just been for a walk by the sea. You rarely see it this calm along here and the colours are amazing. Not sure the photo will do it justice. Very hazy out to sea.Β 

822358EF-E421-4BCF-A040-BA801F7C4792.jpeg

• Like 4

We had a lovely afternoon on Saturday, visiting Boughton House. It’s really palatial and still in private hands, the Duke of Buccleuch’sΒ I believe.Β 

Β It isn't open a whole lot, so we took the opportunity for a couple of guided tours.Β 

I especially enjoyed the one that took us behind the scenes, and upstairs rather than grand state rooms.Β 

Our guide was a sturdy 80 something who had been born on the estate and had first-hand information going back through the decades.Β 

β€˜This is the housekeepers sitting room, I had many a tea here as a lad,’ 

β€˜We all liked to get into the kitchen, it was pretty cold everywhere else’

β€˜That is the present Duke’s grandmother, she was a lovely lady, we used to come up from the school to sing for her at Christmas.’

The Duke’s PA was a formidable woman, fair, but a bit scary.

And so on...

...but the story I liked best relates back to the C18th. The family hasΒ a reputation as animal lovers;Β and the Duke of that time had responsibility for the Royal Menagerie in the Tower of London.

When any of the creatures became Β too old and needed to retire, he brought them to Boughton House to live out their days in comfort and peace. No animal was ever put down.

There had been a persistent story in the family of a lion in the pantry. Recently the archivist found a letter from that Duke laying down his instructions for β€˜Lion’.

Our guide read them to us.

Lion was to be let out as soon as the servants wereΒ Β up and allowed to go wherever he liked. Hw was to have food prepared for him and a bowl of water always available in the pantry. He could go where he liked all the day and to be shut up warmly when the servants went to bed.Β 

Some time later Lion no 2 joined the household!

That was some kitchen cat!

Β 

• Like 2

Today the roads into the Broads were quiet in the early morning, hooray!Β 

We were so early in Upton that the pub was shut! Now this was bad because, no coffee, and good because we headed to the boatyard and there found Tradition and Cerise Lady moored up. So with a cup of Katie’s tea and a lovely β€˜catch up’ Β chat with everyone; we could not have done better.

We checked out Brilliant eventually then headed for the caravan which will be home for a few days while we work on the boat. It belongs to old friends so we were immediately comfortable.

The view is just great so I am posting a β€˜guess where’ to annoy everyone.:default_cool:

We headed back to Wroxham to collect a few things from the mooring, and buy an electric fan! I have a feeling it will be needed this week.

It will be down to a bit of hard graft tomorrow.

D59503FB-3BE2-42C1-9927-3F6F4D88E8CF.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Polly said:

Today the roads into the Broads were quiet in the early morning, hooray!Β 

We were so early in Upton that the pub was shut! Now this was bad because, no coffee, and good because we headed to the boatyard and there found Tradition and Cerise Lady moored up. So with a cup of Katie’s tea and a lovely β€˜catch up’ Β chat with everyone; we could not have done better.

We checked out Brilliant eventually then headed for the caravan which will be home for a few days while we work on the boat. It belongs to old friends so we were immediately comfortable.

The view is just great so I am posting a β€˜guess where’ to annoy everyone.:default_cool:

We headed back to Wroxham to collect a few things from the mooring, and buy an electric fan! I have a feeling it will be needed this week.

D59503FB-3BE2-42C1-9927-3F6F4D88E8CF.jpeg

Lovely to see you both x

8 minutes ago, Polly said:

Will do, Lulu, but she isn't a pretty sight just now. :default_blink:Β 

Also, apologies! Your windscreen covers got left behind this morning. We are back in Mid-September.

No rush at all. :)

• Like 1