My Day

LizG

On 02/09/2019 at 12:58, grendel said:

right , part collected, back to work, a quick hour in the car park and i now have the belt on, because it was a brand new belt, the tensioner, even right against the stops was a fraction away from making it easy, so struggling I finally got it over the lip of the final pully, then as my indicator repeater had arrived, that got fitted, then a full check, oil, water, washers and tyre pressures, top up the fuel with sunflower oil (5 litres - £4 at asda) and the car is back in tip top condition.

So the next time we see a Volvo estate followed by the aroma of frying chips, we'll know who is driving.  :default_biggrin:  If the government gets its way on disallowing the use of red diesel for boats, I think there will be a few folks on the Broads who will change to chip oil  instead of spending the £1.30+  per litre that duty paid diesel will cost.

and the beauty of it is that those old deisels will run on it just fine, as long as you dont exceed 2500 litres a year, even at a 50/50 mix (for which no modifications would be required - like pre heating) you would be quids in - even buying brand new oil at the supermarket.

if anyone wants more details Maurice Mynah is your forum expert at chip fat diesel.

To be fair if you are using old chip fat it will need processing to remove and chips or fish bits first

Food was lovely, I think I got a little unlucky with my tea which tasted a bit stewed, which is odd because it had the fresh teabag in the cup. I'm sure it was 'just one of those things' as everything else was lovely and we have friends who have been there many times.

It's run by the same people as the Dunes Cafe at Winterton, which is also excellent 👍

Can’t comment on the cafe at Acle. But we went to the one at Winterton-on-Sea yesterday. It was very busy as we arrived in the middle of lunchtime on a warm sunny day. Service was ok but the food was poor. I had a pre-wrapped sandwich which was completely soggy and tasteless. Put it down to the time we arrived. Might try it again on a different day out of season. 

You probably don't want to hear this but this was my day:

My plan was to travel from our local station to Braunschweig (Brunswick in English) via Hamburg & Hannover main stations.

My local train into Hamburg main station opened its doors as my Intercity Express (ICE) to Hannover closed its.  Connection missed.  Rebooked onto next ICE to Hannover (that stopped 4 times on the way) & slow train to Braunschweig.

Arrived an hour later than planned which only gave me 1.5 hours for a meeting at the German Aero Club instead of 2.5.

Train back from Braunschweig to Hannover was on time but my ICE up to Hamburg was 40 minutes delayed "due to technical problems with another train".  This meant a later train was earlier - took that , managed a 3 minute connection for local train in Hamburg-Altona & got home.  Good job I speak some of the language...

So all that way for 1.5 hours instead of 2.5 & one of the guys who was supposed to be present was missing (3 others were).

Why a British Citizen is Claims Officer for the German Aero club is a long story...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Can’t comment on the cafe at Acle. But we went to the one at Winterton-on-Sea yesterday. It was very busy as we arrived in the middle of lunchtime on a warm sunny day. Service was ok but the food was poor. I had a pre-wrapped sandwich which was completely soggy and tasteless. Put it down to the time we arrived. Might try it again on a different day out of season. 

That's a real shame, hopefully it was just one of those off days but it's hard not to let it put you off I know.

• Like 1

Agree completely Ray. Probably not the best time to have arrived. Picked up a prepacked sandwich for quickness given the queue. Would also definitely still try the one at Acle if we end up out that way. Is there anywhere much to park if driving rather than boating, does anyone know?

• Like 1

We walked past the cafe and over the bridge the last two times we ere in Acle, I’m pretty sure there was a parking area beside the public conveniences, not huge, but not full either. There’s certainly a turn off from the road just after the bridge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/09/2019 at 14:47, Chelsea14Ian said:

We are called Sweetkingfisher. Staying here overnight, then onto Stalham tomorrow. She's a Alpha 29.One just went past us (Artic tern).Theres still a few of us on the river.

Saw you and waved this morning near the bottom of The Ant 👍

• Like 1

Two things stood out today, one good. 

I had an email from the TV Licencing Authority informing me that the card I pay our license with has been declined and please follow the link to reset...... 

BWe pay by DD . 

Just saying in case anyone else gets this crap.

And then.... Phill got a call from the historian researching the history of his church for a Heritage Lottery thingy. 

It  seems a plumber working in the roof above the choir in 1998 found a bag of Charles I coins. His source is the Church Magazine of the time, and the article he cites was written by Maurice, a very well respected, and sadly deceased architect member of the congregation. 

The historian has checked with the records on Treasure Trove, but the find predates the law requiring a record, apparently, so now the diocesan archivist is checking it out too. Can Phill throw any light? 

This sounds really exciting!  A Civil War stash?  I am getting really into this!

We ' phone a friend' Frank is on holiday in France; no immediate reply,  so I leave a message. Moments later Frank calls back. 

Yes he recalls the article clearly. It was in the April 1998 newsletter. 

Ohhhh April....

I hope Maurice is enjoying the joke 'up there', 20 years on.

The historian is definitely including this in his presentation now, it is, too good to miss.

• Like 3