My Day

LizG

28 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Moored at Thurne, far from.easy very windy.Took us a few attempts to moor.Called into the Lion for a drink.Marina and I spent a fortune in the Ramblers as always Just help three boats to moor, being so windy.Off early tomorrow crossing B/waters.

We had a bit of fun in Thurne dyke on a bit of a breezy day. Got on shore with a rope at the front, but the stern swung out across the dyke and didn't want to come in. The stern ropes weren't long enough to reach the shore.

It took longer than it should have done to think of tying the two stern ropes together to make one longer one so we could pull the stern in....

Nice place for the night though.

6 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

For some years we have had long ropes,a pain at years but very useful  at times.

When we hired on Lough Erne we got two short ropes and that was it. Presumably to reduce the chances of us wrapping one of them round the prop. But it made mooring very difficult at times.

Having four decent length ropes on the Broads this year was luxury, because normally once we had one rope on there was no trouble getting the other one on land to pull the boat round - which is why we got caught out when for once the stern had swung out so far that the stern rope didn't reach.

• Like 1

Today we head back south,hoping to get to Beccles late afternoon.So it's going to be a long day.This week on the Northern broads,been fairly quiet. Having said that some idiots Friday evening speeding in the dark heading for Wroxham. Last night some heading for Potter.All of which twenty something, Male groups. 

34 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Ian it was us waving from WRC, won't be stopping here again, not enough arms and legs to pay for it!!!

paul & jill

We said exactly the same when we moored there (only for a few minutes though) in June / July.   Place looked like a builders yard, and no 240, even though they were still going to charge us for it.

Hi Paul,when Alan Frist got Orca,we went with Alan and Dave,dought I will stop there again.Food was fine,I asked if I could get diesel the next day. Yes that fine next day sorry the pump is broken.Plus they charge for water.We are now at Beccles arrived just before 17.30.A long day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilB said:

Enjoying a drink in The Dancing Man brewery in Southampton.  Only a couple though as I have to be on the boat show stand at 6am for the crane to lift the engines onto the stand.

It’s the start of a long 2 weeks !

We normally got to the Southampton show, but will be aboard Lightning this time. We only live half an hour up the road, so we would have been there, and come to say hello.

Today we came from Beccles to Hardley cross, we did intend to take aday boat to the locks.We did a pump out and fuel at Steve's, waited until he lifted some boats out for repair,plus asked him about some possible work on our boat.Then it started to rain.So made for Hardley cross instead.We had a nice meal on board Rump steak,roasted new potatoes, mushrooms, onions green beans and broccoli. The steak we brought at the butchers. So pleased a number of good butcher shops on the broads. As a chef I love good old fish shops,veg and butcher shops.Sadly many have gone in London.

• Like 1

We used the butchers in Loddon, it`s all the way through the village on the right hand side heading south. I think it`s on the corner of "Kittens Lane", though not 100%. The gammon steaks we bought were really good, and by the looks of them, PROPERLY smoked.  I`ve been told there`s a good butchers in Brundall, but have not used them, though may have a look when we take over Lightning this Saturday.

52 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

I suspect most surviving independent butchers will be of a good standard nowadays. They have to be to compete.

Exactly Trevor. We are lucky to have an independent old school butcher just a few minutes away. Superb quality, all meat and poultry sourced locally and all traceable. Little bit more expensive but well worth it. He gets customers from all over the area including many restaurants etc. 

• Like 1