My Day

LizG

15 minutes ago, Paul said:

Finally got Breydon settled at 3.30 this morning, then off to bed. Up just after 6 with Jamie, got him his breakfast, toured the house with a bin liner, emptied all the bins and the rubbish from Jamie's bedroom. Collected Breydon's bottles, washed and sterilized them ready for him waking. Tidied Jamie's toys and vacuumed the Lounge, hall and stairs. Collected the dirty laundry from the bedrroms and put the first load in the machine. Made a cuppa and sat down to listen to Clueless on Radio Leicester, forgetting that they cancel it on Remembrance Sunday so started listening to Treasure Quest on Norfolk instead. Gave up, it's painful since David Clayton left. Mowed the front Lawn and communal lawns opposite the house. Washed the car. Burped Breydon after his mummy had given him his "breakfast". I just seem to have the knack. Took the first load out of the washer and into the tumble dryer, second load into the washing machine. Went to Hinckley shopping. Got home, had a cuppa and a yummy donut from Morrisons's, emptied the washing machine into the dryer, load 3 onto the machine. Went to see friends who sent lots of goodies for Breydon and took them a thank you gift. Got back home, put pizza and dough balls in the oven for tea. Sat down to eat it and put the recording of the Grand Prix on only for it to have stopped half way through, thank you useless Talk Talk box, I didn't want to see the end anyway. Did the washing machine and dryer again, Ironed Jamies uniform for the week. Sat on the sofa with a cuppa and dozed, so now waiting for the last load to finish drying, then off to bed. Up at 3.30 in the morning for work, two pallets to North Wales then collections all afternoon. Looking forward to the rest. 

The only bit I understood was cutting the grass.  :default_hiding:

• Like 1

Hi Steve, docs think it could be as a result of pneumonia which I have had three times . Once really badly with lungs filled with fluid 80%. Not good and it damages the lungs, had gluteraldehyde too (  tegodore) and exposure to asbestos when I was a child . So everything crossed it’s just calcified lumps. 

M

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Snow... yes you heard snow, I went to the car at 05:50 and the roof was covered with scattered white stuff. the roof of the car was also frozen though not the windows.  I carefully checked and it was Snow not hail.... Once on the road I could see the odd lonely flake decending, for the first couple of miles, then nothing else, no drizzle or anything. So Norfolk has had it's first snow of the year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Snow... yes you heard snow, I went to the car at 05:50 and the roof was covered with scattered white stuff. the roof of the car was also frozen though not the windows.  I carefully checked and it was Snow not hail.... Once on the road I could see the odd lonely flake decending, for the first couple of miles, then nothing else, no drizzle or anything. So Norfolk has had it's first snow of the year

Snow ..... Snow ..... Don't even use the word :default_badday:I'm off down to " My-Newt " on Friday for the weekend , and a last bit of cruising until maybe February . The wife will cancel accompanying me if she thinks there's even the remote chance of any white stuff falling from the sky . 

• Haha 1

Awoke at around 9 this morning and made a cup of tea for myself and Mrs O. Then half an hour of checking e-mails and activity on various forums before heading off to Canterbury for a hospital appointment. I waited for over an hour for a 2 minute consultation with a very nice but very busy lung consultant, who confirmed that my nodule has not changed in size or shape in the 2 years since it was discovered. Welcome news, but why couldn't they have told me by phone or letter? The bad news is that I will require a final CT scan next February after which, if there is still no change, they will sign me off.

Then it was home for lunch, followed by an hour or so of pottering in my “man-cave”, where I am carving a little mouse from oak to grace our younger daughter's cheeseboard. I made one for our other daughter last year and word got around! After that, I spent another hour sorting out my growing pile of medical correspondence and then sat down with my laptop to put together a checklist for the sad upcoming task of winterising Windmill Lady.

After Pointless and a sandwich, we set off to the village hall for a meeting of our local history group. For a village of 1500 people we have a long and rich history, going back to the Romans, who built a shore fort just below the village, through the Saxons, Normans and right up to the present, where the local aerodrome saw action in 2 world wars and was the starting point for record breaking flights by Amy Johnson and others.

After an eventful day, it was off to bed, tired but very much wiser.

• Like 4

Up at 6.30, we have had our 31/2 year old alarm clock staying with mummy while they get building work done at home.

Breakfast and t shirt painting...as you do. Our creation featured trucks, mostly, but there was an added bird on a roof to cover a splodge, and a pterodactyl flying at the top of the design by special request. Later we managed a big red helicopter on the back, so it was deeply satisfying.:default_biggrin:

Lunch over, it was off to soft play for grandad, to play basketball and drive the fire engine, as you do,  while mummy worked online and I prepped the course I was running this evening in a school.

Everyone was pretty tired by dinner time, so we all chilled out, then it was time to wave the family off, stash the toys and hit the sofa. :default_biggrin:

I will miss them tomorrow!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SteveO said:

Then it was home for lunch, followed by an hour or so of pottering in my “man-cave”, where I am carving a little mouse from oak to grace our younger daughter's cheeseboard. I made one for our other daughter last year and word got around! After that, I spent another hour sorting out my growing pile of medical correspondence and then sat down with my laptop to put together a checklist for the sad upcoming task of winterising Windmill Lady.

So your real name is Robert Thompson:default_biggrin: your have been found out!!!

http://www.robertthompsons.co.uk/_shop/gifts--small-items/cheese-board/

• Like 1

Sunday
Breakfast was  had, . Then two more painkillers before setting out to the sailing club.

On arrival one of the rescue boats had already left to go up river to the Wroxham club and tow back three boats.
I finished getting one more out , loaded up with buoys and helped  put them out with others assistance.

After bacon butties and coffee....

Race one, wind north Westerly occasionally Westerly, up to 15 mph very sunny. Course 5P, 2P,1P.   

1 was by perci's island,

2 at the clubhouse

3 at the first bend up river from the club,

4 at Black horse broad entrance,

5  up river at Dydlers mill. 1

During the pre race manoeuvres we saw 6 rods on the bank apparently unattended and  apparently with no lines out. We swept past their rods 3 feet away, not seeing any lines but there obviously were, as all the alarms went off and lots of swearing came out of the tents.

We started in 5th the wind meaning it was fairly easy to sail straight along the left hand bank. Fairly soon we overtook one boat but they are beginners. Then we overtook Bernard fairly easily to windward, which was a surprise. This put us in third, ahead Toby a good sailor but with an inexperienced crew today.

We had just reached the 60 degree bend to the right and started to have to tack rapidly from side to side of the river we soon overtook Toby, but he came right back and overtook us. A couple of tacks later and we were tacking alongside each other for several tack. This slowing us down while the leader was getting away. Eventually we broke away and started gaining on the leader.

Meanwhile John, who was late for the start, had been gaining. We rounded buoy 5 in Genoa up spinnaker. Now as the tide was coming in and we were heading down river I kept us close to the bank. But the leader Gary sailed down the middle of the river, so we slowly gained as we rounded the left hand 60 degree bend I cut across the river shortening the corner but also keeping out of the tide which is at it fastest round the outside of a bend.

Cutting inside Gary we then we're between the wind and him so blocking his wind, so we swept past him into the lead. As we then went across the river to the right hand bank again we dropped the spinnaker and pulled out the Genoa, we held the lead, until a gust from behind brought him alongside just as we reached the 90 right at the club house.. holding inside bank was a huge advantage as we turned, Gary hit the highest tide against him as the river narrows.so he slowed and we turned round buoy 1 clear in the lead which we held for the next two laps...

Race 2, wind slightly less, and occasionally more Westerly. Course 4P, 2P, 1P..

Just as we attempted to turn for the line the beginners were in our way heading parallel to the start line, then they turned for the line, but it was too late. Two boats Gary and John were gone. We had to pass the beginner then try to catch up. The catching up took most of the time getting to buoy 4, but we didn't pass them.

Rounding buoy 4 up spinnakers again and with the big bird flying we kept to the bank again and slowly passed Gary after cutting across the river. John blocked our way at the corner so we went below, as we all moved back across the river to the right Gary went above John. As a final insult to John the beginners followed us. John went down to 4th...(for a short time)

With John and Gary fighting each other, we got away a bit. And got an easy run to buoy 1.
Rounding that we were struggling up the bank and had to put in a tack. The others did also then we tracked again and we're slowly forced across to the Swan  right hand bank. We were glad to hear the shortened course signal, we really were forced to the bank by the wind as it had a bit more north in it . We would have like to be a bit further out the tide was supposed to be still coming in...

Then as we approached the fishermen again I was leaning out on the bank side and said Up UP, to he on the helm as he looked out on the  left looking at the buoy and when to tack for the mark.

But just as  we turned for buoy 2 we.... Hit two of their rods oops...

We just made the buoy and then finished. John just behind us got a shift in the wind and tacked earlier avoiding the angry fishermen, but was able to reach the buoy and finished second...

After a couple of cheese rolls and a coffee

Race 3, or for us there wasn't one, we again had won the trophy and everyone else packed up.

The following dinghy race went on but struggled to finish as the wind died...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well a morning appointment, that I was was rather dreading in one way but in another way was wasn't dreading.

Sitting waiting in the hospital, the time to the appointment seemed to stand still. Well I got called in, had a chat about how I was feeling etc, then told my PSA was down to 1.66. Then a physical examination of my prostrate, to be told no lumps all soft and smooth.

Back into the main room, and told all good, but will now be on active surveillance every 6 months, unless I feel I need to be seen before the 6 months is up due to things going out of normal.

A great weight of my mind, and a nice early Christmas present.

Charlie

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Well a morning appointment, that I was was rather dreading in one way but in another way was wasn't dreading.

Sitting waiting in the hospital, the time to the appointment seemed to stand still. Well I got called in, had a chat about how I was feeling etc, then told my PSA was down to 1.66. Then a physical examination of my prostrate, to be told no lumps all soft and smooth.

Back into the main room, and told all good, but will now be on active surveillance every 6 months, unless I feel I need to be seen before the 6 months is up due to things going out of normal.

A great weight of my mind, and a nice early Christmas present.

Charlie

Great news for you Charlie. Hope you have a brilliant Christmas too.

03:00  Woke up with painful back after yesterdays digging,  went down stairs.... rapidly... my feet went out from under me half way down,  left arm  /elbow caught over bannister till I slide down and hit the pineapple on the bottom up right, bruises also to right hip. Painkillers now obtained for two reasons..

Futher painkillers with coffee before I left  08:00.

Drove to the sailing club carefully, much frost on the roads.
Flags up, Buoys put out, bacon butties consumed.

Weather, wind, west north west, not a lot, up to 25 mph as it felt like it. Absolutely clear skies till the last race. When scattered clouds appeared. Frosty to start with and not much warmer later.

Race 1 course 4P, 2P. Tide going out gently.
We started in the middle of the river in 5th place unable to get where are wanted 'cos the others got there first. The wind was coming over our front starboard ( right) side, we could just hold our course straight up the river. We did have an overlap on 4th and 3rd place, and slowly overtook them.
Once we got fully alongside we were blocking their wind and so got well ahead. The lead two boats had got a good lead but once we turned the 60 degree right turn we were head on into the wind and started tacking. We were slowly gaining on the leaders but didn't catch them before the left hand turn round buoy 4. Genoa in spinnaker up... Only it didn't there was a complete foul up with the rigging, ( my fault) some how we stay ahead of the next 4 boats but didn't get it sorted till they were along side us just before buoy 2.

They had the advantage sweeping round the buoy in front of us putting us in 7th. We fairly rapidly overtook one boat. Setting off after the others, we gradually caught and overtook two more boat and rounded the bend to find the third place Boat doing circles (720 degree turn) he had obviously accepted a penalty for infringing the rights of the second place boat. We just managed to pass them before they completed the penalty.
They followed us to buoy 4 round that and Genoa in spinnaker up. It went up this time, and away we went. There was a huge mess of ropes in the bottom of the boat, which took most of the time to buoy 2 to sort.
It was fairly in uneventful for the next lap, but as we approached bouy 2 for the finish two boats came up between us and the wind. There was nothing we could do and the went past. So after rounding buoy 2 we finished 5th.

After an extra 5 minute delay to allow the last boats to finish and have a coffee.

Race 2 wind has a bit more west in it.
We started in third and followed the first two boats keeping pace with them. The change of wind. Meant we were all being forced towards he left hand bank. We thought we were lucky as where we approached the bank was a small bay meaning more time till we tacked.

We tacked and.... Stopped... we had run aground... Luckily as we had tacked, we could hold the Genoa on the wrong side of the boat, while I leant out healing the boat, so lifting the keel out of the mud, the wind dragging us sideways off the mud.

During this two boats went past, we started following, but were slower, we must of had mud stuck on the keel. It took several hundred yards before the mud washed away and they had gone some distance ahead.
At some point during this, the burgee halyard broke and was tangled up round the top of the mast which didn't help.
In the tacking up to buoy 4 we overtook one boat, then rounded the buoy, a successful spinnaker launch meant we got away from the boat behind. The boat in front decided to stick to the right hand bank in search of stronger wind. We took the short cut across the corner and it paid off
We came along side heading for buoy 2 . But that meant we had the inside for rounding the buoy we rounded ok and we were back to third.

We were however a long way back and although we were gaining, we were nowhere near the first two boat at the end of the race..

After that, it was down mast, untangle the burgee, repair the string, up mast. Then cheese rolls and coffee for lunch.

Race 3
We started in 1st.. just.... we chose the left hand bank and the second boat the middle at the start. By this time the tide was coming in so it was a 50/50 choice, we had the right choice, and slowly went ahead.

When we first tacked we were not far enough ahead and we were forced to tack back as they had right of way. That gained us a few more yards on the bank until we called for our right not to run into the bank. They were then forced to tack, allowing us to do so.
When we tacked back they carried on a bit more hoping to stay above us after their tack.
However we got some wind and got away.

After rounding the bend we continued to increase our lead, this continued for the rest of the race so we won the third race.

• Like 3

My day actually started yesterday morning, preparing myself for a colonoscopy which took place today. This was a follow-up on two similar procedures, the first of which, four years ago found some, fortunately non-cancerous, polyps. The second procedure, three years ago confirmed no further polyps or re-growth and so this was a routine 3-yearly follow on to see if anything further had developed. I take this very seriously because it was bowel cancer that nearly killed my father 2 years ago. If there had been a screening programme 25 years ago, he may have been spared a lot of grief. The bowel cleansing process is not pleasant, so I won't dwell on it. If you've had to undergo it, you will know exactly what I mean!

This morning I set off for our local hospital with nothing more than a glass of water inside me. I hadn't eaten since breakfast yesterday, but you don't feel hungry whilst cleansing, strangely enough. I was weighed, blood pressure measured, briefed on what was to happen during the procedure, fixed up with a canula in the back of my right hand and given a fetching pair of split crotch blue paper knickers and a backless gown to wear. Eventually I was ushered into the colonoscopy suite where I was encouraged to “assume the position” on the trolley. After a few whiffs of gas and air, to steady my nerves, the procedure began. More gas and air and things started to take on a surreal quality. It is slightly strange to see your own appendix from the inside, but eventually we got there. Thankfully nothing had changed/grown in three years and I was given the all clear there and then.

All in all, the German Gastroenterologist did a great job, the Irish nurse looked after me extremely well and my heart rate and blood pressure were kept nicely controlled throughout by the medicines prescribed by my Dutch cardiologist. I could make some choice observations about the wisdom of Brexit, but this is a non-political forum, so I will leave them to your imagination. After the procedure, I was wheeled out into Recovery for 20 minutes, was then allowed to dress and was given a very welcome cup of tea with biscuits before being discharged, walking a bit like John Wayne and with a slightly sore rear end, but fit to fight another day!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I greeted the postman while sitting inside the post box....

Or to be more precise I've built new walls either side of a new gateway.

Built into the walls, I've built a bin cupboard one side, and the other I've put a letter box ( above) / parcels cupboard (below), I was sat inside bolting bearers to the wall to hold a shelf.

What started as bleed valve that could not be opened ended up with the radiator being replaced.

I am currently working on our kitchen, new worktops and replacement doors. Yesterday I came home early to sort out the radiator under  one of the worktops, I could not get out the bleed valve, tried various sockets, so I located a new radiator vent from my spare plumbing parts. The blank at the other end of the radiator was tight but I managed to loosen it, why is that radiator valves never fully lock off when you need them, a slight gush of water later the new vent was in the radiator.

Tan put the heating back on and quickly turned it back off when I discovered a leak, not from the vent but from the bottom of the radiator. We put cloths down while i fashioned a container to catch the leaking water. After moping up I went to Screwfix for a new radiator (free valves on certain radiators). 

More moping and altered pipework later we had a new radiator in place, no leaks and heating back on.

One of my pet hates is that radiators brackets are of a different standard than they used to be both in distance between the brackets and the height this means that you have to remove the old and relocate new brackets (yes they are supplied also the fixings). 

What started as a few minutes job ended up taking about five hours with the kitchen floor filled with plumbing tackle.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

No snow
No high winds.

What we've had is light winds, mostly drizzle, light rain, but it has been continuous, wet...

So Sunday being sailing day, I was off down to the club.

Weather as above, wind direction south Easterly, later Easterly, zero to maybe 15 mph.

Due to the unusual wind direction, buoy 1 was placed well down river at the first bend down river from the club past the New Inn, we brought 2 half way back to the club outside the New Inn, buoy 3 outside the club and buoy 4 at the first corner up river from the club.
The start line was heavily inclined so it was a long way from the inside of the bend on the far side of the river..

Race 1, 1P, 3P, 4P
We decided to start at the club end of the line and reached there unchallenged. One boat was behind us, and one still in the dyke which, as we were going the opposite way to normal was behind the line.
We started first, but the boat which was in the dyke was close behind and the third boat close behind them.
The wind meant it as a long tack on port, short tack on starboard after a couple of tacks boat 2 got a lift and was able to sail along the bank for longer whereas we had tacked earlier. When we came back from the other bank they were on starboard so we had to give way. A couple of tacks later and they were clear ahead.

We were down to second, we were about 60 ft behind when we rounded buoy 1.
Up spinnakers, Genoa's in. The other boat wandered off course during this and nearly hit the bank. They chose to sail on the right to middle of the course, we chose the left as it had more wind and less of the outgoing tide. We quickly drew alongside and they moved across the river to cover us.
We each took several turns to lead, but when we reached buoy 3, they were alongside, we had the inside rounding the buoy. We dropped our spinnaker and sailed on under Genoa, they tacked their spinnaker. We drew ahead but when the wind came right for them they caught us, just then the wind came more ahead they were forced to drop the spinnaker and while they were doing that we drew well ahead.
For the rest of that lap we drew further ahead, and kept that for the rest of the race.

Race 2 and 3 didn't happen for us, our competitors got too soggy and gave up.

The dinghies did do one more race during which one dinghy hit a tree, broke it's mast and capsized. Our rescue boats raced off to fish him out of the river, but by the time they got there he was sitting on the upturned hull.
Apologies to a motor boat called Dilligaf moored on Horning staithe, which the wash from the rescue boats caused to rock and roll.

After putting the boats away, a cup of soup and cheese rolls it was time to paddle my way home. Several places on the way home had puddles right across the river..

Then it was time for ., A long hot bath....

• Thanks 2

This wouldn't be an unusual day perhaps but put into the context that by this time next Monday, all the presents should be open and some of us will be feeling very full, and some may be feeling a 'bit sleepy.'

So my day started with the most important thing you do 7 days before Christmas, paint the banisters and the hand rails up to the loft room.  Yes we have had all year to do the touching up but it has to be done before Christmas! Honest.

Then whilst the other half goes for one of his Christmas lunches, I decide to put all the recently purchased bird food into tins in the shed.  We have an unwelcome guest that eats through plastic containers.  On my second trip to the shed, I spy a baby hedgehog.  This is the second one we have found in a few weeks (they said there are usually two) so I  ring the local vet that  takes them in before they are sent to a refuge and I hot foot in my car over to the next village.  I have to explain to the kind receptionist that when I found it - it was eating a dead bird!  And unfortunately when I picked it up with gloves on, the bird came with the hedgehog.  The receptionist looks under the newspaper and says 'oh I see but at least it was eating something' - she very kindly threw the additional rubbish away for me when handing back my container.

After lunch, I decide to do my next task, which is to wrap up all the Christmas presents..... bear in mind it is still 7 days away, this is quite a remarkable achievement (except I still haven't got anything for daughter 3!) but only after a few presents, I run out of wrapping paper and where is the wrapping paper.  I believe it is in the loft room, which requires passing the wet hand rails :( - that put paid to that. 

Then I spy two Ring-necked Parakeets on my bird feeders - the cats can't be bothered so I am off down the garden telling them to 'go away!' (several times)

I then get the text to say that his lordship is in need of my taxi services and with confirmation that the wrapping paper is indeed in the loft room, I carefully go up the stairs to retrieve it.  I also sell something on Ebay, get all the presents wrapped and finally find time to cook my supper (someone else isn't in need of supper!)

That was my day plus a few other things but not important to mention!

Happy Christmas!

• Like 4

Saturday, went to a pub with Broadland Model Railway Club, where the pub had problems the pubs central heating had flooded the place in the morning.  Luckily the dinnning room had a log burner, and while we were there extra heaters were arriving. This dod not stop us having  a very good meal, after which we went to SWMBO's weaving group, which convienently was just over the road. they were having a "make things for Christmas" day. I caused some excitement, as of course, I was wearing a kilt....

Sunday, being sailing day it was off down to the sailing club .. eventually, the landrover was in an ice cube, much chiselling and spraying of de-icer. Driving out of our gate and turned left. The landrover slid right...
The roads for the next 5 miles were sheet ice, it had obviously rained after the roads surfaces had frozen.
After that it was gritted roads till the sailing club.

We got the rescue boats out as usual the one I was preparing went one cylinder for a while, till it warmed up. After loading with Buoys we did a circuit of the island, ice breaking. Once the buoys were out another circuit of the island breaking more ice.

After bacon butties time for racing.
Rigging the boats, was difficult, all the ropes were frozen stiff...

Weather Westerly mostly but varying right round to south. Wind nothing to not a lot, dry, sunny to start, clouding rapidly.
Bouys in their normal places, buoy 1, 200 yards down river from the club, buoy 2 outside the club, buoy 3 half a mile upriver at the bend, buoy 4  further on outside Black Horse broad.

Race 1 course 3P, 1P, 2P.
We started at the starboard end of the line, with two other boats. Three others started at the port end of the line. As it turned out once several tacks were had, we were 5th so it was the wrong choice, everything was moving quite slowly. Rounding buoy 3, spinnakers up and that went well. We chose the left hand bank against the tide, the others the right. Our choice was right, when we moved slowly across to the right hand bank for the right hand bend we dropped our spinnaker as did the others.

On rounding the corner we were right behind the others, I had to swerve a bit to lose speed or we would have run into the back of them. As we slowly closed, a gap appeared and we slid close up on the bank. This meant when we cleared the bank of trees we got the wind first and pulled out into a clear second place. On rounding, buoy 1 we chased on after the lead boat. Those behind getting in a mess, all trying to go round the buoy at the same time.

We then followed the lead boat all the way up to buoy 3, rounding that and again choosing the left hand bank. The lead boat the right, When we crossed the river the corner we were ahead. We rounded the corner and then buoy 3 in the lead. We chose the right hand side for more wind, the second place boat the middle. My choice was the wrong one, the tide had got stronger, and they over took us by tide power. That gave them the inside at buoy 2 and they beat us into second place by less than a boat length.

After a partial defrost.

Race 2, course 4P, 2P.

We made another bad start, so bad we were last, tacking up to The bend we were at least close to the next boat, which we passed on the bend, On rounding the bend all boats were keeping to the right hand bank, but for the odd tree which forced us out. At one we tacked out and almost stopped, getting further behind.
Just after rounding buoy 4 the boat we had passed, re-passed us and we followed it all the way down to buoy 2, but when it was time to drop the spinnakers, theirs jammed as they rounded the Buoy, so they stopped as the spinnaker wrapped round the mast, we slid past and got the bell finishing second to last.

By this time it was raining, with the forecast for hours of rain, we all packed up, at least the ice melted...

• Like 1