My Day

LizG

Been down that path. "I will go and see Brian next week". Brian would say, " I will go and see Martin next week". Then I get a phone call from Brian's eldest daughter saying he had collapsed  and died. Never smoked, a lot fitter than me. As YnysMon says in his last sentence, but make the effort to visit.

Cancer is such a dreadful and deceitful curse. In the last 5 years I have lost my wife who I met on bonfire night 1966. We were together for 50 years 18 days and married for nearly 46 years and 5 friends, two of whom were also in the September 1962 intake at Merchant Taylors, so life-long really, we were all just 13 and I am now 70.

I too feel alot of anger Griff. For them, with so much left to do, and at the huge void in my own life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On a happier note, I have just looked at the Burnham Overy Staithe Webcam and Met Office forecast.

So I will get my snap box and flask filled and have a drive along the coast road.

For anyone who does not know Burnham overy Staithe, you can park free on The Hard (care with tide needed). The walk along the sea wall then over the dunes to the wide, wild, sandy Strand is stunning.

1918958164_Screenshot_20191031-072013_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.39afd45c25623f1ab357bc2676c1431d.jpg

Screenshot_20191031-071302_Chrome.jpg

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I once met a proper stunning Jenny Wren back in Gibraltar 80 - 81 whilst I was drafted there back in my RN days.  She was a Wren Writer and all the lads fancied her.  Her name was Pat Britton. I got to know her quite well, we became friends.

In 1985 Mysen and my then girlfriend went to her wedding near to Peterborough.  My then girlfriend became my wife in 86, Pat Britton (Now Williams) and her husband came to our wedding.

We kept in touch over the years.  Pat divorced about 10 years ago, she has two grown up children, lives near to Peterborough

Late last year Pat noticed something was wrong, she immediately went to the docs - Breast cancer.  The hospital praised her for coming forward immediately.  They were confident they could fix her - They did and by March of this year she was given the all clear

May of this year and the cancer was back, hugely aggressive this time - It wanted her.

We lost Pat last night in a Hospice in her sleep

She would have been 61 next January.

She was one of the most vibrant, pleasant and yes, damned attractive girlies I have ever met

We had a date next year to take her onboard 'B.A' for a long weekend.

I was supposed to be taking Pat to a charity ball next month in MrsG's place (MrsG has been away since 24th May).  I'm proper upset and yes,    b l o o d y    well angry too.  She did not deserve this

People - Don't put off seeing your satellite friends or making an effort to see them.  One day sadly either you or they will be permanently absent, make the effort whilst you still have the ability

Griff

Sorry to hear your news Griff, we discussed your friend at Thurne a few weeks ago, didn't realise it was so imminent.

Cancer changes everything usually for the worse, but in a strange way it can be very uplifting, life becomes more precious and the people in it even more so, make the effort to see those that matter to you.

• Like 3

Breast cancer is frighteningly  prevalent these days.  My mother-in-law had three daughters -in-law - all three of them have had breast cancer although thankfully all three of us have survived it so far. My tussle with it was 14 years ago. Even when you survive it you are never quite the same again. Small symptoms that previously were dismissed as "probably nothing" become worrying.

Carole

Due to delays I never got as far as Burnham Overy today. I walked at Blakeney and grabbed my picnic on Morston Quay.

The charter season must be over for Charlie Ward and Juno as she is back on her Winter berth on Blakeney Hard.

20191031_110937.thumb.jpg.8a1c323c665027681d6bf1e4fb75ee1d.jpg

20191031_111049.thumb.jpg.cdeed71b230759b73e3cceae9faebbc7.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

On a very dreary and damp Saturday morning I said good bye to a very important part of my life - almost 50 years of it to be precise!

Water Rail has found an extremely good new home and maybe the new custodian will make their presence known at some point in the future.

Liz

IMG_20191123_101315155[1].jpg

IMG_20191123_093250936[1].jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

47 minutes ago, w-album said:

Water Rail has found an extremely good new home and maybe the new custodian will make their presence known at some point in the future.

Sorry to hear that you have had to say goodbye to Water Rail, I'm sure she will be looked after well by her new custodians however :default_smile:

5 hours ago, w-album said:

On a very dreary and damp Saturday morning I said good bye to a very important part of my life - almost 50 years of it to be precise!

Liz

IMG_20191123_101315155[1].jpg

IMG_20191123_093250936[1].jpg

Saw her on Saturday heading towards Acle.

• Like 4

Today is 26th November. Nowt unusual there.

For me though it will be the first day without wearing a nicotine patch since the 30th August.   I've completed 6 x weeks of 'Step 1' patches - 21mg. Then 3 x weeks of 'Step 2' patches - 14mg. Finally 3 x weeks of 'Step 3' patches - 7mg.

I should have completed step 3 on Friday 22nd but have obviously missed a couple of days somewhere along the line. So I have now been without a cancer stick for 12 x weeks and four days or 88 x days. That equates to a financial saving of at least £880:00 Next 'Target' will be in 12 x days time, 100 x days and a cool £1k saved. Target after that? 30th August 2020 - a full year stopped and £3'650:00 saved. Biggest target of all will be getting my MrsG to honour her promise of also stopping when she eventually comes back home to live

Since the end of May MrsG has spent 150 days away from home with the longest run away from home being the current one,  46 x days - and counting

Onwards and upwards then

Griff

• Like 8

9 hours ago, w-album said:

Liz

Liz shall miss seeing Water Rail she was always a lovely sight to see, as you went through Horning and always looked so well looked after.

I hope her new owner has many happy hours in her. Hoping to still see you and maybe her new owner at the Beccles wooden boat show.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

For me though it will be the first day without wearing a nicotine patch since the 30th August.   I've completed 6 x weeks of 'Step 1' patches - 21mg. Then 3 x weeks of 'Step 2' patches - 14mg. Finally 3 x weeks of 'Step 3' patches - 7mg.

I should have completed step 3 on Friday 22nd but have obviously missed a couple of days somewhere along the line. So I have now been without a cancer stick for 12 x weeks and four days or 88 x days. That equates to a financial saving of at least £880:00 Next 'Target' will be in 12 x days time, 100 x days and a cool £1k saved. Target after that? 30th August 2020 - a full year stopped and £3'650:00 saved. Biggest target of all will be getting my MrsG to honour her promise of also stopping when she eventually comes back home to live

Since the end of May MrsG has spent 150 days away from home with the longest run away from home being the current one,  46 x days - and counting

Onwards and upwards then

Griff

Well done Matey!

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Onwards and upwards then

Griff

Well done Griff. Mrs O and I kicked the habit back in 1982 and, although the first 3 months or so of "cold turkey" was hell, I stuck with it with help from Mrs O and she with support from me, and we have not looked back since.  It does gradually get very much easier over time to the point where you stop thinking about it. The amount of cash you save at today's prices is eye watering but by far the biggest benefit has got to be your health.  Stick with it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Liz

That must have been such a wrench for you.  I can't imagine ever being in that position.  If you get really bad withdrawal symptoms and need a woody weekend afloat, we have 'B.A' ready to go 24/7 - Just ask

Griff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

That must have been such a wrench for you.  I can't imagine ever being in that position.  If you get really bad withdrawal symptoms and need a woody weekend afloat, we have 'B.A' ready to go 24/7 - Just ask

Griff

That's a lovely gesture - thank you.  It was 'quite' a sad moment to put it lightly!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I’m sure it must have been after all the care you had lavished on her to keep her in such a lovely condition. Always thought how smart she looked wherever we went through Horning.

Guess you will have been suffering ‘withdrawal symptoms’ for some time up to the sale and will be for some time.

Kudos to Griff for the offer.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2019 at 00:47, BroadAmbition said:

Onwards and upwards then

Griff

Well done Griff!

Patches got me off my 2 packets of Senior Service per day many years ago. I think they are over £13 a packet now.

However, as others have said always be on guard and never get tempted. I strongly believe you are never a non-smoker if you were heavy like me, you are a smoker who has given up. In the mid 70s (to pay for a mooring at Cobbs Quay) I gave up for nine years but a cigar at a party, I thought I could handle it got me back. In a week I was smoking 5 Villager a day which was very expensive even then, so moved to Silk Cut, then Dunhill, and in no time back on the "Untipped". 

Judith's first bout of cancer was oral, when I see youngsters of either sex smoking I shudder.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's a lovely gesture - thank you.

It ain't just a gesture, get yersen a crew together and cast off

Griff

I would be terrified handling a boat that size - 27' 5" was fine but............ maybe a day out with your good self would be nice!

• Like 1