My Day

LizG

So sorry to read this Griff, 

The final act of kindness we can give to our furry companions is to make sure they don't suffer.

Thoughts with you at this time.

Macie will go to sleep peacefully having only known unconditional love. 

• Thanks 1

My thoughts are with you this morning, Charlie. I had the pleasure of a chat with Macie on a couple of occasions, on the Broads.

On the island in Thorpe are the graves of 3 of my parents' dogs, one was my mother's poodle (also a trained gundog) whose grave is close to where the gunboat used to moor and I am told, is still looked after by one of the residents there. The other two are up in the woods at the back, where my father had dug a duck pond out of the marsh and where they spent many an evening duck shooting. Their head-stones are still there, if you know where to look. There was a 4th labrador but she has no grave, as she had to go off to the vet when the arthritis got too much.

I had to leave my own Labrador in France, back in 1983, when the yard I was working for was put up for sale and I had to come back to Norfolk. She was a bit old by then and I am afraid I just couldn't afford all the vets bills and quarantine, which were necessary in those days. She spent her last few years with friends on a small boatyard on the Midi but it had such a bad effect on me that I have never wanted to have another dog.

I will always have some wonderful memories though, and I know you do too.

• Like 3

You have my sympathy Griff. It is a horrible job but it has to be done. I remember my last working retriever Benson, he was 17 physically still fine but he had dementia. The only consolation is you know she had a good life with you.

• Thanks 1

It will be a sad, empty house that Griff returns to tonight. Only advice I can offer is to go out and buy another dog asap. Griff will be able to blow the money that he's saved on fags!

Me, I don't own a dog and haven't done for very many years. My dad & I used to shoot and also had a golden retriever. We also had an incredible stash of ex WD ammunition left over from WW2, dad was one of those who would have gone underground had the dastardly Hun invaded but since they didn't and whilst the arms and explosives were collect the ammunition wasn't so as kids we shot at anything. Acually it was dad who shot at a rat in the chicken run, a bullet richocheted and killed our dog, we were all really heart broken. For that reason I have never since owned a dog, I wouldn't want to go through what Griff is going through. He has my deepest sympathy. Perhaps if we had gone out and bought a new one but we didn't.

My thoughts are with you, Griff. Hop on the mighty Tiger and head North!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that Griff, you have our sympathies.

I remember when we had a West Highland White called Snudge. We got him around my 11th birthday in 69, and he came with us for my first trip on the Broads in June 70.  Sadly we lost Snudge to Cancer in lat 81 at the age of 12. I got more upset when we lost him, very much more so than when we lost close family members.

I hpe Macie dog is looking down on you from above saying thank you for a good life?.

• Like 2

And so back to the Broads, and maybe another bit of sadness. Due to family & work commitments by daughter has decided to sell her 110 year old Broads sailing cruiser. Yesterday was taken up towing her up to St Olaves for her winter storage, since Hannah has now had an offer it will probably be the last time that we lay her up and the last time that we look forward to fitting her out come the spring. On top of that arthritus is taking its toll on yours truly and whilst I enjoyed a perfect trip to St Olaves and back I now know that my boating is becoming harder and harder.

Its an hour and a half trip from Oulton Broad to St Olaves with a boat in tow. We set off at about twelve thirty hoping to arrive at low water slack so going alongside would be easy, which it was. Oulton Broad had a few white horses running against us but four horse power was more than enough. Incidently we left Water Rail moored up at her new home on the Broad, not quite the same without Liz aboard.

It was to prove a good day for birding, literally thousands of geese circling over the Share Marsh as we went along Oulton Dyke, a few herons too and we lost count of the Marsh Harriers that we saw during the day. A kingfisher or two plus a rare Moor Hen plus a dramatic dog-fight between a Rook and a Marsh Harrier made the day that much more interesting. Who says that the Lower Waveney is boring, it isn't if you keep your eyes open. On the way back the Herringfleet otter came out and accompanied us for the best part of a mile. 

The lighting was warm, unlike the wind, the reeds glowed, especially when a bank of dark clouds came in and set them off. At one time a full rainbow followed us but the rain held off. We arrived back at Oulton Broad with the last of the sun, by the time I had hobbled up the garden it was almost dark, the end of a good trip, despite aching bones.

The only other boats that we saw were a few boats on their home moorings, otherwise we had the river to ourselves. Other boats add interest but that aside sollitude does have its attraction, especially with the winter sun. Well layered up, topped off with windproof hats and jackets, we couldn't have asked for better conditions, wonderful! The Broads at their winter best. Only six months to go before the butterfliers start to come out :default_biggrin:!

• Like 5

Oh Griff, I’m so very sorry,. At least you were with her, she felt your arms and love to the end and she has no pain now. Hopefully, you will be able to draw some  comfort from the lovely memories of the huge number of miles you will have walked, shot, drove or floated together over the years. Thoughts are very much with you x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Incidently we left Water Rail moored up at her new home on the Broad, not quite the same without Liz aboard.

I don't want to distract from BAs sad news but thank you for your nice words.  It isn't quite her new home but a temporary home so I understand. Saying good bye to special animals is heart breaking but also saying good bye to special boats that that have been part of your life is also very emotional - the serious difference is that they still live on...........

Have a drink on us all tonight Griff in memory of Macie - she has been part of the forum as well.  It has brought tears to my eyes thinking of your families' sadness tonight!

• Like 3

I too felt the pain when my dog reached that time in her life where it was cruel to be kind time, cruel on me but kind on her and I am sure that Macie didn`t regret one day of sharing in your life mate.

This weekend I am driving 250 odd miles to see a dog who is not expected to see the new year, he is a 17.5yrs old grumpy git Corgi called Toby or often refered to as Mr T and he is very special to me. 

Unlike others here I would advise against rushing out and getting a puppy instead I would urge you to consider a rescue dog as many of them are there not of their own making.

• Like 4

My day today starts with me still being loaded up with cold. The worst bit is not sleeping most of the night with sinuses so blocked, you go to bed with a headache, and wake up with the same  one, but that's if you are lucky enough to actually get some sleep. 

What I need is to be steering Lightning out on the open rivers from up top, fully rapped up taking in plenty of that fresh Norfolk air while drinking a steaming hot mug of fresh lemon juice sweetened with a couple of spoonfuls of honey. 

The lemon and honey is already being consumed, but sadly 250 miles from the Norfolk Air.