My Day

LizG

8 hours ago, addicted said:

..... something to do with the gulf stream used to make it unseasonably warm.

Carole

I believe anything above freezing is considered unseasonably warm on the west coast... even in summer! 

Malaig is a personal favourite along with the Silver Sands 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only saw snow in the Outer Hebridies a couple of times, didn't settle.

The inner Hebridies.. The school bus going across Skye followed the snow Blower From Kyle to Uig, it was only rarely we could see out above the level of the snow.

Some years later, followed a snow Blower from Dunblane to Oban, first car through in 3 days, But Oban Itself hardly any snow at all..

God created the world and all it contains...

But the Hebridies ... They belong to Macbraynes..

• Like 1

We've only been to Scotland twice and then for a very short time.  We  once took the over night train  from London to Fort William to go and look at a boat on Loch Laggan The conductor gave us the heads up  about the beautiful scenery we passed though vey early and asked if we'd like him to give us a knock. It was absolutely breath taking We ate a superb breakfast while watching the most magnificent landscape go past. We've never forgotten it.  On another occasion a few years later we spent 4 days in Edinburgh which we also enjoyed very much.

Carole

• Like 1

When I was young my Uncle Roy had moved from Sheffield to Scotland chasing work on the railways (he also emigrated to New Zealand again chasing work on the railways). In the years in Scotland he lived by the railways in Motherwell, Wishaw and Law.

My reflections travelling to Scotland were the long journey in first the Combination (we had a two seat sidecar) and then the Ford Popular and finally the A35, we had quite a few stops so it took many hours, I well remember the Scotch Pancakes, our trips including to Loch Lomond (which was very shallow at the southern end of the loch) and going through the Trossachs.

One of the homes at Law was at Station Cottages at the side of the line, looking at steam trains going pass at night was magical for me at that time of life.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3

Have you ever thought: “I’m fat.” “I’m old.” “I’m not enough.” I was young once. To all my friends from 40 years and up: Most of us are going through the next phase of our lives. We're at that age where we see wrinkles, gray hair, and extra pounds. We see the cute 25-year-olds and reminisce. But we were also 25, just as they will one day be our age. We aren't the "youth in their summer clothes" anymore. What they bring to the table with their youth and zest, we bring our wisdom and experience. We have raised families, run households, paid the bills, dealt with diseases, sadness, and everything else life has assigned us. Some of us have lost those that were nearest and dearest to us.
We are survivors. We are warriors in the quiet. We are humans, like a classic car or a fine wine. Even if our bodies aren't what they once were, they carry our souls, our courage, and our strength.
We shall all enter this chapter of our lives with humility, grace, and pride over everything we have been through, and we should never feel bad about getting older. It's a privilege that is denied to so many.”

(Mums funeral tomorrow)

Griff

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

Thank you  so much for those kind words Griff.  I can't say I'm embracing this  stage of my life with much enthusiasm, and when catching an unexpected reflection of myself find myself thinking "who the hell is that"! I think having to give up the boat has caused me the most angst,  especially as from the neck upwards I can still hop off and on   the boat as easily as  always,  so it's hard to accept. I'll try to bear in mind what you have said.  Thoughts with you and yours for  the  funeral.

Carole

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Griff for sharing those words, it is something I am struggling with at the moment, hitting 60, thoughts of retirement and a very elderly mother in law. When we were young the thought of getting old never occurred to us, the reality is somewhat harsh.

Thinking of you for tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Griff, your post was so moving...your choice of words and the way you expressed yourself made me think you’re a poet in disguise.

That post of yours was one of the most moving that I’ve read. It was ‘concentrated’ post in terms of emotion and thought, and I say that in the context of having very much empathised with other very emotional posts from other forum members who have lost loved ones or who struggle with ill health.
I found it so helpful personally.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope all went ok yesterday Griff, and echo the words of others as to your post. Thoughts with you and your family.

I know that when I lost my mum, I was dreading the funeral. But once I came out of the chapel I felt a weight lifted and that in some way I understood why we put ourselves through that moment. And while other friends and family then go home and get on with their lives, it allows those of us closest to the person we lost to be able to start the next chapter, to move forward in a way we couldn't do until the funeral was done. At least that's how it was for me.

My mother-in-law is quite poorly in hospital, she was taken in yesterday, Dr's orders even though she didn't want to go. But at the grand age of 100 she is inevitably not what she was. Sad for her family to see, but she's in the right place, and being looked after for a while will hopefully be good for her.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Glad  all went to plan. A nice family get together  will no doubt be a welcome occasion after all the stress of the recent times. I quite envy those who have family around at times like these,  having no extended family at all.  I was the only child of two only children hence no uncles, aunts or cousins. Hope once you are both home again things return to normal quickly.

Carole

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife reports that the first pair of Canada geese have arrived at the nearby fish ponds after the "Winter" break.

We normally get between 8 & 12 geese in Spring - their dawn patrol which goes past our house is quite loud.
Many of these continue further northwards but one or two pairs remain to nest. Last year one pair raised 4 or 5 young despite there being a fox faimily in the neighbourhood.

• Like 4