My Day

LizG

What have you got in those joints Griff?  Doesn't look like jointing sand?

Mine needs doing again but it's just plain jointing sand which is a pain to keep clear of weeds, plus my assistant below is now a teenager and not so keen to work !!

12961140_10207523780746924_6873595383872340424_o.jpg

• Like 1

Stage Two - Completed throughout

I'll take a better photo in the morning.  At present there isn't any sand of any description between the blocks.  This time I'm not going to put any in either.  I'm sick to the back teeth (If I still had them) of weeds and moss growing in the sand.  Last time I had a 'Professional' clean the lot and re-sand it with that type of sand that's supposed to inhibit growth.  In my case it must have been some sort of fertiliser sand as I had growth within a few months.  It's infuriating

What I have got coming for Stage Three in a few days is some 'Pre-em' from a farmer friend or to give it its correct title 'Pre-Emergence'  It's a weed killer that farmers use on their fields that allows crops to grow but stop weeds and the like.  I am going to spray the entire block area paying attention the the joints and leave them sand free.  I will then monitor the situation and see how things develop.

Today's job for me is to mix some cement and re-point the brickwork below the DPM down the to blocks right round the house and garage.  Can't wait to commence with that one  :default_rolleyes:

Griff

my day so far, up at the crack of dawn and log on to work, problem office keeps saying its updating, all files that were open shutdown and unavailable (and unsaved) after 90 minutes IT opens and I am the first in the queue. 45 minutes later i get off the phone with IT they have decided to reboot my computer (this option is not available to me when remotely connecting) finally I get a call telling me that my computer is available. yay its all working.

15 minutes in, IT instigate a global restart and update on all machines so disconnected again while we wait for everyones computers to restart, once again all the work I had inputted back into my spreadsheet has vanished.

The cause - apparently Microsoft changed the method they do updates, then just for a laugh immediately sent out a new update, before any of the machines had been rebooted to change over to the new system, result upgrade failed, office unavailable

• Sad 2

Trials and tribulations eh? - Infuriating for you at least the issues are on 'Their' time  The start to my day? - another lazy one, still in t dressing gown.  Once washed n dressed I will get on with the pointing.  The 'Mer' polish should arrive today - that means wash the van (Again) and polish the lot - still got some carpentry to do in the load area at some stage

Griff

Today is April 01st as we are all aware.  It is also the day that Grandson number three is supposed to arrive.  I'm hoping he will be at least a day late. 

MrsG is going to feel somewhat frustrated when he does arrive, as she won't be able to go and see him until this partial lockdown has been lifted.  She should have been there in the maternity ward, that ain't gonna happen either.  It could be months before we see him proper other than using Facetime and the like :default_sad:

Griff

25 minutes ago, grendel said:

my day so far, up at the crack of dawn and log on to work, problem office keeps saying its updating, all files that were open shutdown and unavailable (and unsaved) after 90 minutes IT opens and I am the first in the queue. 45 minutes later i get off the phone with IT they have decided to reboot my computer (this option is not available to me when remotely connecting) finally I get a call telling me that my computer is available. yay its all working.

15 minutes in, IT instigate a global restart and update on all machines so disconnected again while we wait for everyones computers to restart, once again all the work I had inputted back into my spreadsheet has vanished.

The cause - apparently Microsoft changed the method they do updates, then just for a laugh immediately sent out a new update, before any of the machines had been rebooted to change over to the new system, result upgrade failed, office unavailable

I was brought up on Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word etc. Swore by them. Not any more. Next time I have a major change I will go Mac.

Problem is while my MS. Surface pro is coming up to four years old my Samsung Android Phone and Tablet are under a year old. I want to go all Apple product but given the cost I will have to get more mileage from my Samsung yet a while.

2 hours ago, grendel said:

It is April 1 after all! 

Our 42nd wedding anniversary today. We were planning to go out for a meal this evening, but that is clearly now out of the question, so we had to improvise with a lunch of steak, chips and salad cooked at home, followed by ice cream with home-made raspberry coulis – delicious. The home-made cards that we exchanged this morning were much more meaningful than the usual £3 worth of cardboard cr*p from the People's Republic, purchased from Sainsbury's.

We plan to take our customary social distanced walk round the village this afternoon and then will get back to the garden. Around 15 years ago, I foolishly followed radio gardener Bob Flowerdew's advice to cover spare ground with old carpet as a weed-suppressing mulch. This has since been covered with a lxuriant growth of ivy, brambles and nettles that have grown over and through it, making it the very devil to remove. Anyone with ideas of how to dispose of 400 sq ft of dirty old carpet pieces? Still, slow and steady wins the war, so I will press on.

• Like 5

My boy and his partner are now enjoying Harry James Griffin who came into the world yesterday afternoon. 7lb 2oz  Mum and Harry doing well, both should be home later today

MrsG desperate to go see him but of course under the current CV issues that's not possible so Facetime it is for the foreseeable

That's our third grandson.  We have our fourth grandchild due from our daughter late September - Whole family now hoping that one can be a girl.  Still, one more after September and we have a five a side football team

It dawned on us last night that me n MrsG are now directly responsible for there being five more humans in this world with a sixth on the way - Wow

'Were going to need a bigger boat' :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 12

On 31/03/2020 at 17:56, NeilB said:

What have you got in those joints Griff?  Doesn't look like jointing sand?

Mine needs doing again but it's just plain jointing sand which is a pain to keep clear of weeds, plus my assistant below is now a teenager and not so keen to work !!

12961140_10207523780746924_6873595383872340424_o.jpg

First off I'm a chef not a builder. Like most doing stuff in the garden and house.One job is our paving in the garden,which is York stone .What's best to fill gaps that have appeared over the years.Any advice would be good.