My Day

LizG

5 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

First off I'm a chef not a builder. Like most doing stuff in the garden and house.One job is our paving in the garden,which is York stone .What's best to fill gaps that have appeared over the years.Any advice would be good.

This was just jointing sand which included weed killer, the photo was about 4 years ago.  I did it again last year and sealed the drive with some stuff from Screwfix!  A year later the weeds don't seem to have taken much of a hold yet so the sealant is doing something!

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire

Well after the loss of a close friend last week to the Covid virus and continued the week making decisions that became more stupid and more stuoid as the week went on, the timing of the local Health Service requesting help from my Fire Service employers couldn't have been more timely.

In addition to our usual tasks this week has been spent delivering medication to vulnerable people (400 delivered in our first 2 days) as well as putting plans into place for a number of additional COVID  tasks over the next few months.

We have thankfully agreed that we shall be staffing emergency Ambulances, transporting NHS supplies and PPE for the Health Service, working in the health service control room taking calls and communicating to crews over the radio and staffing patient transport ambulances for those requiring assistance.

To be completely honest, we are absolutely delighted to have agreed to these additional roles in addition to our usual work, and the delivery of prescriptions and shopping to vulnerable people looks to be stepped up too, so I am glad to be doing a small part alongside my colleagues to sort this ruddy virus out.

Take Care Everyone, Stay Safe

Guest Jayfire

Thank you guys (and girls), I really didn't want/need thanks but I was just updating on how things are going and how silly I have been this week. 

The healthcare professionals are the most important people right now without any doubt whatsoever, it is just an absolute honour to be able to support and assist them however we can do.

And for those staying at home and doing everything that is asked of them in order to help :default_icon_clap: 

My day in 1978. 
There was a television on in the corner. I opened my eyes to see Martina Navratilova holding the Wimbledon Trophy. ‘I am so glad she has won at last’ I thought and fell asleep again.

This was pretty much the first thing I had seen in over three weeks, because I was in an ICU bed at the time, being taken off the life-support that had put me ‘on hold’ while my body fought Tetanus- for which we had preventative vaccine but no cure. 

Why mention it now? Well all the talk of ventilators and ICU provision may sound pretty frightening...but...

Nobody is pretending they are used except at great need, of course; but they are there to do what they did for me with Tetanus; hold me in a sort of stasis, protect my life functions and give me the best chance to fight off the infection. 

I can say that I was not distressed on the whole, not in pain, not aware of the titanic struggle for life going on in my body.

If you are afraid for yourself or a loved one, please take it from my experience that the outside pictures we see of machines and tubes and so on is not the same perspective as that of the patient, who is sedated and medically relaxed. Also that they are on that ventilator to live if at all possible.

Keep safe.

• Thanks 15

Another Issue that needed attention was the bottom two course of bricks below the DMP on the house and garage.  They are in a poor state, I had jet washed off the growth and loose mortar whilst doing the block paving.  Then it was re-pointing, whilst this made them weatherproof and sound they still did not look good.

Ok then out with some black flexible weathershield masonry paint, the first coat took me hours as the bricks are far from smooth, it was somewhat of a ball-ache to be honest.  Second and final coat much easier.  I'm pleased with the results, MrsG even gave it her seal of approval!

Griff

BA NBN 707.jpg

BA NBN 708.jpg

BA NBN 709.jpg

• Like 6

My boy collected his partner and 4 x day old Harry James from hospital yesterday to take them back home.  On their way they swung past our place.  Due to social distancing etc MrsG was not allowed a cuddle, they couldn't even take him out of the car but at least we got to see him through the car window.  It'll be facetime and the like from here on.  Happy days

Griff

• Like 7

We have a dwarf breeze block wall in our back garden around the bbq area.  It used to be dressed with slate.  Last year under orders I removed it.  We got an estimate for someone to come and render it with coloured render - about £600 - Wow and wow again and there is only about 9 x m2 in total.  Stuff that, way to expensive.  So now was the time.  After cleaning / scraping off  I had a go at it mysen but what material to use? - Frost proof flexible floor tile adhesive, the polymer porcelbond stuff would have to sufffice.  On it went everywhere, allowed to cure, scraped flat, DA sanded, then dressed again. DA'd and hoovered off which is where I am at now.  Next stage is the textured masonry paint 1st coat which I will apply today.

Yesterday I also got the gutters cleaned out inside and out, along with the facias and soffits all round the house / conservatory / garage, they are all upvc and now look sparkling

Griff

BA NBN 710 (1).JPG

BA NBN 711.jpg

BA NBN 712.jpg

• Like 5

Just think of all the boat time you are building up by getting these jobs done.

Aren't I just.  Not to mention Shooting and mighty Tiger riding.  Trouble is to do those three hobbies takes beer chits :640_pound: and I'm slowly going bankrupt day by day  :default_icon_eek:

Griff

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My day yesterday was spending a few hours in the shed working on a jukebox mechanism. after lunch I gave the front door another coat of yacht varnish and worked in the front garden (so I could see the open front door) weeding some of the block paving path that goes around the front of the house. Stuart phoned he needed some wood to finish a sand box for Lucas. I dug out some wood for him and we chattered at a safe distance for a while until he went back home. Mike came back home after working in the staff canteen all day, better than manning the supermarket isle's.

Alan

• Like 1

My poor wife is going through it! Now she has galloping shingles, the pain and irritation is really getting her down. Every two hours I need to put drops in her eyes, but that turned out to be an unexpected bonus this morning. Six o'clock and looking out of our bedroom window revealed a real bonus feature! A gorgeous dawn highlighted a deep mist over the marshes and the river. From our bedroom we look down onto the mist, despite the shingles a grand start to the day! The Broads at their very best.

• Like 6