My Day

LizG

This morning applied the slate sealer, it changes the shade when wet but dries back to normal, this is an impregnater not an enhancer.  3:5 Hrs later it will get a second and final coat. Four after that -  Job done so the furniture / pot plants and the like can go back into their rightful place

Next job - We have five concrete lintels above ground floor windows / doors that have been painted gloss white an age ago and are now looking tired.  The upper ones are protected by the overhang on the roof and are fine.  Wire brush / sandpaper / undercoat and gloss.  Onwards and upwards once again then

Griff

BA NBN 723.jpg

BA NBN 724.jpg

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, grendel said:

All this work you are doing Griff, you could always come down and help me tidy my conservatory.

I think you mean "Depository" Grendel. Not Conservatory.

• Like 2

The chiminea thing although it has a cover on it every winter, it was looking tatty and was showing surface rust.  Onto Ebay (other outlets are available) for some VHT paint aerosol form - Mat black so MrsG decreed.

Wire brush (No Dettol) then two applications which used the whole tin up.  Jobs a gudden

Griff

BA NBN 727.jpg

BA NBN 728.jpg

• Like 4

not the best day.

I received an email early this morning to advise that an old school friend took his own life on Thursday. I'm sad to say that we lost touch a few years ago after he moved to Lincolnshire but did bump into each other last summer in Great Yarmouth purely by chance. We shared a jar or two in The Barking Smack. His daughter tried to call him on Thursday and getting no reply on several occasions decided it warranted a visit and found him when she arrived. 

Later this morning I had a call from the minister of our church to advise that a very old friend of the family, one of my late mothers best friends had also passed away. Her carer went in to help her out of bed and found her sat in the armchair wrapped in a blanket, It appears she had got herself downstairs in the night. It is not clear at this time whether her death was corona virus related though she had shown no symptoms. She has been unwell for some time. 

Keep an eye on your loved ones folks, and stay safe.

• Sad 7

so taking it easy today, after all morning shopping i tackled the remaining corner, 4 or 5 more garden sacks of rubbish cleared out, and i had an idea, i have two small bedside cabinets with tools in.

IMG_2812.JPG

then i have this long supposedly over bed cabinet

IMG_2810.JPG

i wondered if i could stand that across the two bedside cabinets, but no, that makes it about 8" taller than the windowsill. hmm, how about above the window, there is just room there, and upstairs i have the two old vertical cabinets it was supposed to sit on.IMG_2813.JPG

this would give me storage above and to each side of the window - perfect.

IMG_2811.JPG

Then i have about a 13" gap to fill, so some risers need to be made, so if they are made about 12" i can lay a bench across made from the packs of laminate flooring in picture 1, under the risers i can fit the two new old stock (still wrapped in plastic but slightly rusty 11 1/2" high drawer sets for more storage (actually the bench needs to fit 4" below the top of the riser block to line up nicely with the windowsill, still no problem) i feel a plan coming together, and i have an 8 foot length of 3x2 and some other bits just ready, hmm thinking, do i have enough, the 8 foot will do the verticals, i will inspect my timber pile, now i know why i saved certain bits of wood - but hang on i hear myself yell, i cleared a real heavy duty bed head and foot out, that must have some decent timber the uprights were 4" square. i think i have just solved my timber issue, so just from the stuff i have lying around i am going to create an elegant storage solution for my conservatory.

IMG_2816.JPG

bed ends, timber on the hoof

IMG_2819.JPG

the arrangement of the cabinet in the riser section, the line just above is the 12" mark, plenty of room behind for nice thick 4" legs, some of the other pics below show some of my timber stock, first job tomorrow will be releasing the table saw from under some other stuff to cut some risers.

IMG_2814.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paul said:

not the best day.

I received an email early this morning to advise that an old school friend took his own life on Thursday. I'm sad to say that we lost touch a few years ago after he moved to Lincolnshire but did bump into each other last summer in Great Yarmouth purely by chance. We shared a jar or two in The Barking Smack. His daughter tried to call him on Thursday and getting no reply on several occasions decided it warranted a visit and found him when she arrived. 

Later this morning I had a call from the minister of our church to advise that a very old friend of the family, one of my late mothers best friends had also passed away. Her carer went in to help her out of bed and found her sat in the armchair wrapped in a blanket, It appears she had got herself downstairs in the night. It is not clear at this time whether her death was corona virus related though she had shown no symptoms. She has been unwell for some time. 

Keep an eye on your loved ones folks, and stay safe.

Very sorry for your loss Paul, it must be hard to learn of two old friends passing in one day! Sincere condolences.

looking at it i may be able to get all of the riser material from the bed frames, this will match well with both the cupboards and the draw units, so first job tomorrow will be bed disassembly.

if anyone is wondering about the garden wire on the windows that is to keep houdini cats from raiding my workshop, it means i can have the windows open, but keep the cats away from sharp tools.

• Like 1

i have come in for a sit down, i am probably sawdust coloured as i have been running my table saw hard cutting joints in nice pine, got everything cut out, and then because i used more of the bed wood without paying attention, found i had encroached on the area for the drawer units - whoops, so had to do some surgery to widen things out again.

• Like 3

so the risers are complete, pretty they are not, could i have done it better, certainly, i was doing it easy, i could have done pucker joints etc, would it have been any stronger - probably not, strength and durability were my goals, and that i have achieved, just using timber from the foot of the bed.

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG

• Like 2

GROUNDHOG DAY AGAIN!

Went for a walk, did some jobs in garden, had a sandwich, went in the garden pulled Goose Grass and Nettles. Early dinner, load dishwasher, watch what I have recorded on tv.

Tomorrow will be a change I need to do some ironing.

• Like 1

so the firsd draw set is in place with a riser on it, I had thought i would need to put a top lower, but looking at this i can just about put the top across at the top of this and still allow the window to be opened. tomorrow it will be clearing a space the other side of the window, put the second cupboard there then get the next sections down from the bedroom, and put it all together, then maybe another day start filling things up.

IMG_2823.JPG

• Like 3

Nothing to report yesterday,  Had a ‘Day off’ very lazy, actually read a Sunday rag. Bbq’d Sunday dinner between us..

All (and I do mean all) external house issues now completed.

Not that much to do inside but it will keep us going for a few days yet if we go slow time. 

The reserve is a complete garage sort out. Not started that one and won’t until the barrel is being scraped

Griff

• Like 2