My Day

LizG

one cupboard moved then time for a break and breakfast, this is when disaster struck, I was toasting my hot cross buns when the electric tripped, turned it back on and went to restart the toaster, tripped again - my toaster has died, I forsee a shopping trip becoming necessary today

• Sad 1

On 11/04/2020 at 19:25, grendel said:

so taking it easy today, after all morning shopping i tackled the remaining corner, 4 or 5 more garden sacks of rubbish cleared out, and i had an idea, i have two small bedside cabinets with tools in.

IMG_2812.JPG

then i have this long supposedly over bed cabinet

IMG_2810.JPG

i wondered if i could stand that across the two bedside cabinets, but no, that makes it about 8" taller than the windowsill. hmm, how about above the window, there is just room there, and upstairs i have the two old vertical cabinets it was supposed to sit on.IMG_2813.JPG

this would give me storage above and to each side of the window - perfect.

IMG_2811.JPG

Then i have about a 13" gap to fill, so some risers need to be made, so if they are made about 12" i can lay a bench across made from the packs of laminate flooring in picture 1, under the risers i can fit the two new old stock (still wrapped in plastic but slightly rusty 11 1/2" high drawer sets for more storage (actually the bench needs to fit 4" below the top of the riser block to line up nicely with the windowsill, still no problem) i feel a plan coming together, and i have an 8 foot length of 3x2 and some other bits just ready, hmm thinking, do i have enough, the 8 foot will do the verticals, i will inspect my timber pile, now i know why i saved certain bits of wood - but hang on i hear myself yell, i cleared a real heavy duty bed head and foot out, that must have some decent timber the uprights were 4" square. i think i have just solved my timber issue, so just from the stuff i have lying around i am going to create an elegant storage solution for my conservatory.

IMG_2816.JPG

bed ends, timber on the hoof

IMG_2819.JPG

the arrangement of the cabinet in the riser section, the line just above is the 12" mark, plenty of room behind for nice thick 4" legs, some of the other pics below show some of my timber stock, first job tomorrow will be releasing the table saw from under some other stuff to cut some risers.

IMG_2814.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

You have more paint tubs than Dulux!

they are jointing kits, they basically contained jointing resin and sand, to fill electrical joints with, they are then bought back to the yard where they have to be disposed of, the sand and resin mix comes in sealed bags that have a centtral divider, so theoretically you mix the two halves of the bag thoroughly and then snip the corner to pour, so the bucket isnt needed any more for mixing, but the bags do have to be protected to stop them getting the internal seal split and prematurely mixed.

ok final installment of the cupboard build, i did have to get my willing assistant to help lift the final cupboard into place, as although i had the 19" height i needed to get it into place i also only had 19" between the front corner and the roof, so it had to go up with the top of the cupboard touching the ceiling and then be slid back berore dropping the back end into place, it went in with less than 1/4" spare, now i need to figure where to place it sideways to leave storage at one end or the other on top next to it. for now i am leaving the folding table in the middle, as i have realised i can swing the leaf up to create a bigger work space. (yes the table top needs a polish - probably a sand down and a polish realisticly.)

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2832.JPG

• Like 2

Spent a pleasant time this afternoon teaching my younger son (not that young...27 yesterday) how to make a Victoria Sponge. He was given a choice of doing it the modern way (all in one in a mixer) or the old fashioned way (a bowl, wooden spoon and elbow grease, and done step by step...cream the marg and sugar etc.). His Dad likes Bakewell Tart, so we added almond essence. The cakes are now cooling...seem to have risen okay. :default_biggrin:

5E82D074-33C3-48EC-96AD-B33A60ABBAAB.thumb.jpeg.b125eb359bf1f1c7188a6323e942509c.jpeg

To be filled with cherry jam once cooled and the top lightly iced. Yum!

• Like 6

packing storage spaces started, a lot more space than i did have, i now have room here to do yoga, some bits have been moved in, some of the stored stuff was kept, that is mainly in the buckets stored floor to ceiling against the side wall, some bits have moved in from my workshop already, power tools and spray paints have gone in the cupboards, and my unimat 3 lathe has moved here so its more ready for use, next job tidy the workshop, i now have a great deal of storage space to free up the stuff just chucked down on the bench, all the little bits will now have drawers, i have probably gained nearly 100 small draw spaces in this shuffle around and quite a few big shelf spaces for tidy storage.

IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2835.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

IMG_2838.JPG

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Assembled cake! Icing is a bit runny, but hey ho

When I saw the first photo of the two halves I swear I could smell the fresh baked sponge now I'm pretty sure I can taste it ☺

Do you do Red Cross parcels? 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Jayfire
26 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Assembled cake! Icing is a bit runny, but hey ho

Looks scrummy Helen. 

If Mr YM likes Bakewell tart then with me living only around 20 minutes from the village I'll have to try and remember to pop into the original Bakewell shop and bring some along to the AGM this year :default_biggrin:

Guest Jayfire
8 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Any trip to Ye Olde Bakewell Pudding shop would automatically, without doubt, be considered essential travel.

You reckon they'd open up The Red Lion next door too :default_norty:

Used to be a regular stop when I got about more. These days, especially as 'er indoors is coeliac, it's  rare treat. Our last taste was last year when Aunty Pat sent me one down. I had to get home quick as the bulldog had worked out what was going on and was guarding the package!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Being a stones throw from Bakewell, I like Bakewell Tarts

I like 'em as well.

This evening's offering:  Leg of Lamb & Apricot roast.  Lamb was from Lidl - and very tender it was too.

IMG_2172-mini.jpg

Tomorrow its Shephard's pie (& following day also most likely).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HEM said:

I like 'em as well.

This evening's offering:  Leg of Lamb & Apricot roast.  Lamb was from Lidl - and very tender it was too.

IMG_2172-mini.jpg

Tomorrow its Shephard's pie (& following day also most likely).

How strange, we had a Lidl leg of lamb tonight too, stuffed with loads of garlic and herbs. West Country lamb and very tender. Cold roast lamb tomorrow with jacket potatoes and salad - an easy meal after the full roast. 

• Like 1

I should have added that Alec decided on the old fashioned way of making a cake. It’s just as well that he’s always struggled to decide whether he’s left or right handed. Comes in handy when doing that much cake mix beating.

I had also planned to roast a leg of lamb for this evening, but Alec has a regular DnD (I know it’s a game of sorts) fixture with his Uni friends on Monday evenings so the lamb has been put off until tomorrow.

I’m cool with that. Have enjoyed a fairly chilled day today (it was chilly too...outside), having totally overdone things on the allotment Saturday and Sunday, compounded with trying to do too much cooking. Yesterday evening I felt totally exhausted. Stupidly combined lots of allotmenteering on Saturday with doing a ‘real’ pizza (dough, pizza sauce from scratch). Yesterday morning I helped Graham cut down tree branches that were shading our plot (it needed careful planning and judicious use of ropes to prevent the timber from falling onto our neighbour’s plot), then we had a lunchtime BBQ, followed by loads of seed sowing in modules/seed trays, and later a steak supper to celebrate Alec’s birthday.

Phew!

Its nice to feel we’ve achieved quite a lot over the weekend, though we now have a lot of felled timber to cut up. 

• Like 2

Wow Helen, that puts me to shame. 30 minutes in the garden on Friday and three 20 minute walks was my lot this weekend. My jigsaw puzzle is coming along nicely and it’s amazing how many hours one can spend messing around with video clips. Oh and not forgetting finishing watching Dr Foster onNetflix! 😂

• Like 1

After our 'Day Off' on Sunday it was back at it yesterday. 

We had a slow and unusual start, went onto an online provider and watched 'Jumanji' during the forenoon.  So this is what it has come to now? watching a film during the forenoon? - God help us all.

It was somewhat colder but nowt to do outside.  So, in slow time I elected to deep clean the sides / reveals of all the opening windows, doors, frames, servicing the locking and opening mechanisms as I went through the house / conservatory / garage.  There are twenty two of them in all.  I also removed the top and side covers on every radiator and cleaned out between the vanes too.  Fitted a new curtain rail in a bedroom under instruction for good measure

I didn't complete them all.  I have left one radiator, five opening windows and the garage door to complete today.  Today will also see the newly decorated front bedroom floor deep cleaned, it's a traditional tongue and grooved affair so I thought I would waste an hour on it whilst it is currently naked.  No carpet in there now and won't be until the carpet outlets are back in operation

Our kitchen area is fully tiled walls n floors as one would expect along with a gloss white upvc ceiling with LED downlights.  I intend to remove the tired grout / silicone throughout and renew it all.  That will waste a few more hours

Griff

• Like 5

15 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Any trip to Ye Olde Bakewell Pudding shop would automatically, without doubt, be considered essential travel.

Bakewell is my home town, Bakewell puddings are the finest hangover cure on earth, Bakewell tarts are what got you into trouble

• Haha 4

Opening windows and frames completed along with final radiator on Tuesday.

Yesterday was a real slow day, spent lots of wasted time researching the interior cab lighting in Trevor for potential upgrade to LED, still not fully confident so nowt ordered.

Our cctv 4 x camera system has packed up.  I received weeks ago a new hard drive I had ordered, time to fit it - fault not fixed.  On further investigation with my trusty multi meter and help from Youtube, it turned out to be the power supply unit.  So a replacement ordered along with the second one that powers up the cameras.  I'm thinking if one has failed, the two of them being the same vintage it would be sensible to replace them both.  They should arrive today courtesy of Amazon Prime.

The rest of today for me will be spent sorting out our office and all therein.  MrsG continues with deep cleaning window glass and the blinds in our conservatory.  Then she is onto valeting the inside of her car - At last!

Griff

• Like 1

Today, Saturday has arrived as it does.  MrsG's car still not internally valeted but hey ho.  Yesterday - Office fully emptied then cleaned out.  That is emptied into our conservatory and the large dining table therein.  Today the pair of us will sort the lot out before returning a percentage of it back to the office, our shredder will be getting a proper work out

The power supplies arrived for the cctv which is now fully operational once more.  Some magnetic hooks arrived for Trevor - they are far from performing as advertised so that means I have some more carpentry to do in the load area to enable my step ladders and small wet diamond cutter to be stowed satisfactorily. Cab Led's might arrive today.

We have just under 3 x more weeks of this partial lockdown, probably more in reality.  I've not run out of jobs in front of me yet but now having to go slow time to stretch them out,  that's not factually correct - I have been going slow time all along, just having to go even slower now.  The office should be completed today.  Tomorrow being Sunday will be a day off then we go once again.  I've added a few more items to the list that will use up time.  Fully clean out the fish tank.  Strip down clean / oil all my guns.  Bring my mighty Tiger into the conservatory for a clean and polish.  They will be added onto the end of the ever shortening list butt will queue jump the fish tank

Griff

• Like 2