My Day

LizG

5 minutes ago, stumpy said:

Wrabness - not far from the Butt and Oyster!

About 4 miles, but you need to be that crow! Wrabness is on the south bank of the Stour and Pin Mill is on the south bank of the Orwell.  Short straight line distance but a long walk without a boat.

• Like 1

Yes indeed it is the view from Wrabness, just along from All Saints Church, overlooking the Stour estuary towards  Felixtowe so full marks to Grendel.

ChrisB is correct,the building in question is the Grayson Perry one, when the sun is in the right postition it's rays reflect brightly from the house, a bit like a road sign in headlights(I forget how this was achieved now).

ChrisB is right again, the only Butt and Oyster that I know of is at Pin Mill but there was a pub just up on the main road called The Wheatsheaf(formerly The Drunken Duck- I think) and one called The Black Boy close to the train station, both now long closed.

Sorry Turnoar, not Hull  but I quite fancy watching Only Fools and Horses now.....

• Like 1

Monday - Left home at 0615, Home at 1800 - Altringham

Tuesday - Left home at 0615, Home at 1800 - Altringham

Today - Left home at 0645, Home at 1700 - North of Leeds

Both venues were unoccupied refurbs with many different trades attending.  Social distancing on site is just not possible and is failing big time

Griff

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Monday - Left home at 0615, Home at 1800 - Altringham

Tuesday - Left home at 0615, Home at 1800 - Altringham

Today - Left home at 0645, Home at 1700 - North of Leeds

Both venues were unoccupied refurbs with many different trades attending.  Social distancing on site is just not possible and is failing big time

Griff

I have found the situation very difficult to deal with, My guys will only be working on site if no other trades are there.  They have found they can't rely on others to maintain distancing.

Occupied houses are not happening either, it is difficult enough normally with householders and children wandering around,

No point in having the new additional risk assessments, agreed 5 days before and then verified 24 hours before starting when other trades have no assessments or concept of the need for them.

Clients are now told if we turn up and find some one else there, they go or we go and they have a aborted visit fee.

Any hope of the housing market recovering in the next 9 months are wishful thinking, unless someone is in the process already there is not going to be the infrastructure of agents, surveyors and solicitors up and running in sufficient numbers to deal with new sales.

Homeowners are going to be doing up rather than moving until next spring, that should help you Griff.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Homeowners are going to be doing up rather than moving until next spring,

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. We spoke to an estate agent yesterday and he said that they are way busier now than before lockdown. 

Bacton...Early this morning.

There must have been a lot of folks been there in this good weather the bins are overflowing with bottles, food wrappers and bbq detritus. However the beack had been left immaculate

20200521_060441.thumb.jpg.69dcf9a6be6832ab6b76a835f1227e44.jpg

20200521_063143.thumb.jpg.a4a1423e8edd3cc85ef47787625b5a23.jpg

20200521_064606.thumb.jpg.05150ac0a7ad1ddd40c1162a1447dc85.jpg

20200521_062141.thumb.jpg.f941887ac7f677efc82a14ad23b3c588.jpg

20200521_055509.thumb.jpg.eec0f86e29aefa81ee17d0b301adfe6d.jpg

• Like 3

Hmmm, My day! Well yesterday I received a phone call from a friend of mine who lives in Norfolk. He has taken my boat to a spot easier for him to get to, where he has told me he is going to clean it. Now, this is great news. Apparently poor old Nyx is greener and more sap covered than my friend has ever seen it.

Now, some of you may remember that I used to pay someone to clean it. Nobody could tell if he had or hadn't. To be blunt, he wasn't frightfully good at cleaning boats, and as I was going through a financially tight time, we agreed to part our ways (in a friendly way) and our agreement came to an end.

Last December, my situation improved, and whilst having a beer or two in the Pleasure Boat. somebody asked if I was looking for someone to clean Nyx on a monthly basis. I agreed and started paying her in January. Unlike the first chap who used to turn up and do a poor job, this young lady hasn't turned up at all.

Now, I realise that from late March she would not have been able to do the job, but that still doesn't explain Jan, Feb and March.

So, That's two people who have let me down. Two out of two! A 100% track record. I'm getting a bit hacked off.

Do I have "Sucker" tattooed on my forehead or what?.

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. We spoke to an estate agent yesterday and he said that they are way busier now than before lockdown. 

That is an agent talking it up :default_biggrin:

They are busy because they have limited staff in and are dealing with the pipeline they have.

My company normally does 50 surveys a week, we had 3 enquiries in two months and just 1 since last week.

The market is frozen by fear of the future.

The construction business should be open except there is a nationwide shortage of plaster and plasterboard that is likely to last 6 weeks. I can get 3 bags of finish plaster, from St Austell,

These shortages will not help.

• Like 2

Felt a tickle in the back of the neck region, rang surgery to get telephone chat. By the time chat happened full blown shingles on the back of the neck AGAIN! Grrr arranged prescription for antiviral tablets to reduce the length and severity of the outbreak and lower the post herpetic neuralgia ( which sucks big time) . Rang pharmacy am, truck broken down , no meds, rang at lunch, still no meds, rang at 17:35 ( pharmacy shuts at six) meds finally arrived. Jumped in car to go get em. Phew took first tablet. If not taken within 72 hrs of that first tickle the anti virals won’t work and you’ll have it for two weeks, which is a bit of a bummer. 

With all this focus on SARS COV-2, I forgot to take my usual precautions and wham out came mr Herpes and Mr Zoster. 

How anyone without a car is expected to deal with that I don’t know. 

Oh well such is life. 

M

• Sad 5

There was a national shortage of plaster during the early-mid 70s.  We were running a small building company in Enfield   North London and we had 5 contracts that were about to grind to a halt for lack of plaster and I managed to locate a supply  -  in South London and so imperitive was it that it  was worth my while to take a  small truck over there and collect  it. Somehow one manages to cope with these problems.

Carole

• Like 3

5 hours ago, addicted said:

There was a national shortage of plaster during the early-mid 70s.  We were running a small building company in Enfield   North London and we had 5 contracts that were about to grind to a halt for lack of plaster and I managed to locate a supply  -  in South London and so imperitive was it that it  was worth my while to take a  small truck over there and collect  it. Somehow one manages to cope with these problems.

Carole

Cornwall is a long way from Kent for 3 bags :default_biggrin:

I need over 100 bags to start with,

Everything has been moved back till mid July and keeping fingers crossed.

• Sad 2

after the hurricane in 87, my mate who worked for his brothers roofing firm was driving to scotland to get pallet loads of roof tiles, they had pallet loads of special and different profile ones as stock in the yard, these they sold on to the people who turned up in hire vans with a brand new ladder on the roof, as they knew nobody locally who needed these particular patterns, mind you he did get told off by his brother when he signed off one of their subcontractors work as complete, then found that the contractor had only tiled the visible halves of all the roofs.

12 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Apparently poor old Nyx is greener and more sap covered than my friend has ever seen it.

Now, some of you may remember that I used to pay someone to clean it. Nobody could tell if he had or hadn't. To be blunt, he wasn't frightfully good at cleaning boats, and as I was going through a financially tight time, we agreed to part our ways

By the way, God doesn't except cheques and the rainfall is free of charge!

Just been told I'm back at work from the 1st June.. It will only be 40 hours though the department I work for doesn't have an overtime budget,  I'm the only one in the department that earns so little I could claim it. 

I've not done as much to my sailing boat as I'd hoped  during the lock down,  I'm still working on the keel. 

I really do need to strip and revarnish the deck this summer. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheQ said:

I really do need to strip and revarnish the deck this summer. 

I am still researching this but thus far I seem to have established that it is not absolutely essential to take all ones clothes off to varnish the deck of a boat.

Still... Whatever lights your candle!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My day has not been so good so far . Over the last few weeks I have missed a good curry so I had a go with all the authentic ingredients which I dont mind adding was a 8 out 10 on my curry scale ............but thank goodness toilet rolls ain't an issue anymore :default_icon_redface:

Finny

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

good start to the day, when you have been working for two hours and are 1 hour into amendments on a drawing when some kind soul reorganising the office to be coronavirus compliant just turns off the computer you are remoted into to work, losing all that work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

My Day.....And the next three if I can stand the pace! If not probably four.

20200529_135907.thumb.jpg.e476f304fb5791e9a0f441830c2a03ab.jpg

Three bedroom, single story, with just over 1400 sq. Ft. Of cream carpet. It is that time when I have to root out the Vax shampooer!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

My Day.....And the next three if I can stand the pace! If not probably four.

20200529_135907.thumb.jpg.e476f304fb5791e9a0f441830c2a03ab.jpg

Three bedroom, single story, with just over 1400 sq. Ft. Of cream carpet. It is that time when I have to root out the Vax shampooer!

We have the same version, every time we use it and see the colour of the water we start thinking about laminate flooring all over the house!

• Like 1