My Day

LizG

On 23/06/2020 at 06:28, BroadAmbition said:

Yesterday, I commenced another new job for a client, this one will be four days to complete.  First job was to remove 30 x m2 of solid wood flooring, glued down onto concrete.  I was hoping it was a hardwood in decent size planks that I could save, clean up and put into our stock.  It turned out to be Oak - Good.  However it was in short planks, the longest of which was only about four n half foot and not many of them.  Added to that was the amount of adhesive stuck to the back which was far from easy to remove, so the lot sadly had to go into my mates bio mass burner.  Disappointing to say the least, can't win em all

Griff

BA NBN 815.JPG

BA NBN 816.JPG

I have to say Griff you come across as a work horse, but how do you fair with your knees at your age? I have a few friends in the carpet business that have knees that creek and groan through work, and another one that has had ops on both. It would be nice to know how you cope, although one of my friends swears by those cod liver oil capsules.

I often get asked that same question times many - How do I cope?

By being sensible and aware not to abuse them is the easy answer.   I hardly ever use knee pads either as I find they chaff especially as I tend to wear work shorts April through to October.  I also have a cod liver oil Omega 3 that has vitamin D in it every morning (Also recently started taking B12 too).  Of course not every job is a floor tiling job, sometimes its walls and sometimes kitchen walls above worktops so no on knees, but then you are on your feet all day and not sitting down for five minutes

However - Some days I do ache with just plain and simple being physically tired - I tend to ignore the symptoms as best as I can - I sleep ok but annoyingly seem to wake up for no apparent reason during the night and not for the common O.M,P

Workhorse? - Most definitely, it keeps me in shape and trim.  Every day this week including the drive to work and home has been a minimum of a twelve hour day so come getting home tomorrow another 51 x Hrs done in five days.  Next week will be shorter as I originally planned a four day week and its local too.  My job is proper physical, the evenings are office work, estimates / account / invoices and the like I usually spend at least an hour but often more each evening on the PC, hence only now getting caught up with the forum.

I was supposed to be having both this Sat and Sunday off but a client has has had his brand new en-suite spoiled by a Richard cranium of a plumber drilling 4 x tiles wrongly for a radiator so I have to go and change them on Saturday plus a lady in our village needs 2 x tiles changed after a boiler fault, and a new windscreen will be fitted to Trevor if they ever give me an appointment time.

I want to detail Trevor inside and out with a new ceramic polish just received then there are three items to attend to on the Mighty Tiger and I'd very much like a ride out for an hour or so on that, oh and new switches to fit to some new LED strip lamps in the under stairs cupboard to fit too.  On top of that I would like to see grandkids and our own kids if possible at some point and re-introduce mysen to MrsG too

Life sure is busy nowadays,

Griff

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

With civic services not back to normal I do wish people would bring a black sack with them and take their picnic, bbq or fast food stuff home with them.

20200626_072048.thumb.jpg.441bd0feb40993f648360a21d9c5afc1.jpg

Can you imagine what Bournemouth must have been like yesterday? ☹️ It seems as though the average Brit has no idea how to clean and tidy up after themselves these days. After the recent warm weekends, the White Cliffs have been like a rubbish tip in the mornings, paper plates, fast food wrappers, plastic bottles and, worst of all, tissues left in the bushes - no guesses as to what they’ve been used for! 😠 Where did it all go so horribly wrong?

• Sad 1

31 degrees and no air-conditioning. What do you do? In our case yesterday we went to our local beach.  We eventually found a parking spot in a nearby side road and set off beachwards with our picnic, towels and beach mats.  We arrived to find that the place was busy but not ridiculously so and it was easy to find a spot to pitch our camp 4-5  yds from anyone else. Now for a swim. The water was absolutely freezing. No, I mean Winterton on Sea with extra ice cubes. I eventually got used to it after the cold had killed off my nerve endings and had a very pleasant dip.  The tide was coming in fast so we had our picnic lunch and then moved our pitch up the beach. Then a rest to let the food go down, another swim, dry off again, pack up and the 10 minute drive home. 

Everyone we saw observed social distancing, there was no bad behaviour, except for a group of kids extravagantly smoking marajuana on the beach. No abuse, no riots and no littering that we observed. No TV cameras and no drama. Interestingly our local council was doing regular bin emptying on the seafront. 

• Like 2

On 26/06/2020 at 10:16, vanessan said:

Can you imagine what Bournemouth must have been like yesterday? ☹️ It seems as though the average Brit has no idea how to clean and tidy up after themselves these days. After the recent warm weekends, the White Cliffs have been like a rubbish tip in the mornings, paper plates, fast food wrappers, plastic bottles and, worst of all, tissues left in the bushes - no guesses as to what they’ve been used for! 😠 Where did it all go so horribly wrong?

It's be dreadful all over, and it makes my blood boil. I live about 200 yards from here, and you can imagine what that's been like in recent weeks, especially as the council and police never bother coming this far out of town!

CW Aerial.jpg

Sadly it all boils down to respect , or lack of .

It seems that the “can’t be ar**d” attitude of all age groups has become as widespread as covid19, just drive anywhere near a drive through burger joint and you will see detritus all over the area and when young children see their elders behaving in such a way then they too will do so .

Much has been said on here concerning the removal of the boat waste bins yet only yesterday at an almost deserted Ranworth I picked up about a dozen beer bottles and food wrappers from the staithe green which had been left there less than 25 metres from the bins .

I'm chomping at the bit here. Got screen replaced that released me at 1100.   Been to Swinton to collect a cracking bench that Dungraftin has restored in honour of his late wife Kathy - I have to deliver it to Sutton yard for him.  Got home loaded van of tools / materials needed for this maintenance period.  Now waiting on a call from a mate so I can go and do an oil change on the van before getting back home to change then away.  Tick Tick Tick . . . . . . . . . . .

Griff

• Like 2

We shan't be out on the river just yet as yours truly is still repainting and varnishing. In the process I decided I didn't like the look of the screws in the midship cleat as they were steel. 10 mins later all 4 were out. 3 sheared and the last rusted away. About half an inch of each screw was all that was holding :default_icon_e_surprised:. I have now replaced them with 4 1.5" x 12 ss screws until I can replace with through bolts. Needless to say I will be checking all the other cleats. I don't know who originally fitted these cleats as the boat was exhire and been in private ownership.

Anyway, on to a different subject. There seem to be a lot of these on the river this year. image.thumb.jpeg.aa36c35f504b94c8fb8bd35172dc00c8.jpeg

Not a reg no in site. I do wonder if the BA are missing out on toll monies here.

Thats it, back to work and a beer on deck later:default_drinks:

Safe journey all of you travelling this weekend.

Colin

• Like 3

my day yesterday, went shopping, arrived home to be greeted by my daughter who says, dad i need to go to Ashford for 12.30, it turns out that she woke up this morning with a bit of a cough and feeling hot, now she actually thinks its probably just a cold, she tends to catch everything going when she does venture out these days, but suffice to say she started back at work last week (and one day the week before) and has to catch a bus to get there, she also has a good imagination and always thinks the worst when it comes to feeling unwell.

So it was off to the local test centre for a test and now wait at home for the results, i am pretty certain that will come back negative, but as she works in the nhs field she has to be careful.

The test centre promised results in 48-72 hours, but this morning, by 6am  less than 18 hours after her test she had her results, thankfully clear, so thats all ok. a worrying day but with a happy result.

• Like 7

yes thankfully she has not got it as she is in one of the semi vulnerable groups being an asthmatic.

so for the last few weeks there has been a rubbing sound coming from one front wheel on the car, gradually getting worse, today I finally got out there and removed the wheel, one side of the brake disc there was a rust band around the disc, it was deeper on the inside than outside and was rubbing on the pad wearing that section of the pad abnormally. as apart from this the disc is fairly new, all I did was get a coarse grit plate in the cordless multitool and sanded through the rust scale until it was smooth with the disc, a problem caused by a lack of driving the beast due to lockdown, if necessary I can replace the discs and pads, but at least the noise has gone for now, the rubbing was due to the rust swelling as it rusted and rubbing the brake pad.some of the remaining discs may need similar treatment, but that can wait, the main noise has gone.

• Like 1