My Day

LizG

My day yesterday,

Good,

HMG's announcement about outdoor Sports, this with some comments from the Commodore of HSC online , indicates probably not this week end, but the following, some limited sailing / racing will take place. That will give them 2 weekends to see if a limited Regatta week can take place  (due 1st to the 7th of August this year..)

It will be interesting to see if Wroxham week is resurrected as they cancelled a couple of months back. (due the week before HSC).

Bad,

The council closed our road... The alternatives are a muddy / sandy singe track with many potholes, or what is classed as a green lane that is tarmac'd but is often covered in sand, it's very narrow with house walls right on the end of the single track. they also put two road signs on our driveway without asking (road closed and diversion). Why have they closed aour road?, So they can park their vans on it, the hole they are digging is off a road junction on a different road..

It will be absolute chaos  tonight /tomorrow if the works are still on as the second homers / holiday makers head for their houses or caravans..

Good,

I've just taken Delivery of half a dozen sash clamps, proper old British made ones. 8ft to 4ft in size with extension bars for the smaller ones.. A friend is unfortunately having to clear his parents house...

Bad...

I have 5 hours till I finish work..

Good..

Tomorrows Saturday...

• Like 3

Morning all,

Saturday,

Stern 800 grit sanded then varnished,

Bow deck area of boat sanded 60 grit,

Keel ballast holes re drilled, stub keel bolted on, left to "rest " while fully tight.

Sunday, varnish not sticky, but not set enough for a light sand and recoat of varnish,

Starboard side sanded with 60 grit except for those areas that were repaired they are still a bit sticky to sand..

I had intended to release the keel, then coat the join with thickend epoxy then re- tighten up, but moving the barbeque to a new site became more important..

As for Horning Sailing club Annual  Regatta Week due 1st to the 7th of August It's cancelled.

The club could not find a way round the virus  regulation no more that 30 people on the premises at once..

At a normal regatta there's about 100 boats with the mix of single handers and the 2 and more handers that's around 200 people, 

plus

3 line crew minimum, 2+ score keepers,

8 rescue boat crew morning and 6 afternoon,

12 galley crew in shifts through the day

Parents of minors.

That's without the additional non sailing family and friends, traditional visits by old members and just curious visitors. Totalling around 300 people on the island at max, the majority are out on the water most of the time, but it does get a bit sardine like at times.. The island is only about 60ft by 180 foot.

So the club will restart sailing this weekend with up to 30 boats up on the broad, that's people arriving and leaving at different times, plus locals with boats sailing from their own houses, all entries all pre booked by email..

• Like 1

'Melton Bottom'  Now there's a village name not mentioned often.  It's just off the A63 nearing Hull.  40 mins drive from our place this morning, by coincidence is was about the same 40 mins back home which completed a 13 x Hr day for me once again. I normally don't travel but got talked into this one. I'll be there till close of play Thursday too  (Tomorrow will not be as long though as 2 x estimates to do after 1800 more local to home). 

45 x m2 of floor tiling with underfloor heating to be installed, in two phases along with wall tiling to be done later on in t year.  Onwards and upward then in the normal manner

Griff

• Like 1

At last - a decent cross country flight (a declared 381 Km triangle) around Hamburg airspace.
Flight completed at an average speed of 75 km/h just using solar energy (which generates
the thermals) apart from the initial launch.  Pretty hard going halfway as high-level overcast
shut out the Sun & had me dicing it with bunches of windmills.  However I managed to scrape
away & conditions got better.  An auxillary motor onboard does calm the mind even though
I did not have to use it to avoid an out-landing on some farmer's field.

East & South-East of Hamburg the combine harvesters were hard at work.

The best weather some weeks ago came whilst we were mostly grounded due to Corona.

This was the first decent flight since I upgraded the instrument panel to have a more modern
LX9000 navigation system to replace the aging LX8000 I have had since 2009.

Today?  Overcast & rain.

Yesterday, departed home at 0715 for Melton Bottom in the normal manner.

On the M18 North got to the M62 and the interchange was SHUT! which sent me on the M62 westbound, wrong direction of course.  8 x mile later I was able to get off the 62.  Going back East was pointless as I would have just been directed back onto the the M18 south.

I found mysen on the A19 going north, rang Bro' who was at home, he got onto google maps and also google earth and directed me through many single track roads and was eventually able to join the M62 past the closed area, after a large tailback.  It was kinda fun with him telling me what I should be seeing round the next bend etc.

I was still proper delayed though, I should have been at the clients for around 0800, it was 0925 by the time I arrived.  Such is life.  I never did find out why the M62 was closed in both directions

Griff

Saturday,

Building a new area for the barbeque, this included moving and installing 17.5Kg foundation blocks.. My back and arms are complaining.

Sunday , Sanding, cleaning  varnishing decks and stern of my boat "Blue Moon" .. which brings me to this..

Broads Registration Marks

7 private  half deckers/   keelboats,  (e.g. ybod, bod,  wod, only)   Rebel, Reedling,  Yeoman, Squib,    Flying Fifteen and    traditional Broads    half-deckers   etc)
[50 mm] options: 
(a)  on both sides near bow

(b)  on board beneath bowsprit, visible both sides

(c)  on cockpit coaming facing outboard, both sides  

d)  on foredeck, port and starboard, near deck edge but display not required provided the vessel is clearly marked with its registered name on both bows or on the stern (or in the case of vessels with long counters on the  aft cockpit coaming)

8 private   sailing dinghies,     including those    used for tuition    commercially but    which are not   let out for    unsupervised hire

[50 mm] options: 
(a)  on both sides near bow

(b)  on tabernacle both sides

(c)  on stern of vessel facing outboard provided clearly visible and never obscured by covers etc. while vessel  is afloat.

My boat is the size of a Dinghy, but is in fact a small Keelboat, when I designed it I took various styling clues from Broads designs of Keelboat, so it's a Mini Halfdecker. I think hopefully she will come under halfdeckers   etc

I want to keep the hull name and, if required, marks in a traditional style. This doesn't mean 2 inch high black vinyl letters.

So do I come under  Rule 7 , or Rule 8? Under 7 you don't need to carry registration marks at all. 

If she does have to carry a registration mark, then I'd go for the Stern option.

Then in what form to paint the mark,  the rules say "Characters must be plain,  not stylised, and must be applied on a contrasting background".

It will be in Blue against the golden timber background, so thats Ok. 

But the "Not Stylised" is interesting, I was for instance originally taught copper plate handwriting at school so is that stylised? as that's more normal to me than the issued plastic letters..

And finally on this topic, I'm going to put her Name " Blue Moon" on the stern under the last couple of coats of varnish It would be sensible therefore to put the registration mark on at the same time..

It appears to me there is no way of obtaining a registration Mark before paying.. and there is no way I'm paying a years broads tax before I launch next year..

Did i mention Horning sailing Regatta was possibly on...

Then it was Off..

Now it's likely it's back on..

NO Non Club members, prebooked entries, of a limited number, and it's likely to all be on Black Horse Broad.. 1st -7th Aug 2020..

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

and it's likely to all be on Black Horse Broad..

Don't tell me that is so as to allow "social distancing" between boats rounding a racing buoy? Out in the open air in the middle of Black Horse Broad????

Please tell me I am joking, otherwise I shall be ever more convinced that human society is coming clean off the rails.

7 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Don't tell me that is so as to allow "social distancing" between boats rounding a racing buoy? Out in the open air in the middle of Black Horse Broad????

Please tell me I am joking, otherwise I shall be ever more convinced that human society is coming clean off the rails.

No, it's because I'll be on a boat that week and they are a tad nervous in case my wife drives !

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Vaughan said:

No it's social distancing from tourists on the river / not attracting crowds on the river bank. With a limit on only 30 people on the Island by government rules, they don't want to attract people. Also we normally have  up to 5 rescue boats out during regatta week now only one "patrol boat". Rescue boats spend a lot of the time guiding and rescuing tourists., I know from the last 40 years I always end up rescuing more tourists than sailors. The least contact with "furriners" the better.

• Like 1

Oh while I'm on this section I mentioned problems with registration of a boat, not yet ready for the water.. I've since been told you can down load the normal application form fill it in (crossing out payment section) and tell them that it is for registration only and not pay. Then they will send you your  number so put it on your boat . and just pay when you launch.

• Like 5

Earlier in the week - Girly client with three young boys I was there all day floor tiling the entrance hall.  Had some great banter with Mum winding her up and catching her out which her boys thought was hilarious.  I bought them all an ice cream as the van stopped right outside their house (With the most drop dead gorgeous ice cream van lady I have ever seen).  As I left at the end of the day she told me that my van out to carry a government health warning of the driver inside!  Whatever can she mean?

Thursday - an Indian couple who I have done a lot of work for recently.  Bantering with the wifey is always great fun.  'Pillow Hair'   'Any Yorkshire in you'? etc etc.  As I left she informed me that she was going into her prayer room (She does this everyday for a session) to pray for me and cleanse my soul.  She followed that golden nugget up with that it would be a very long session and would probably take at least two!  Whatever can she mean?

Yesterday I was at 'Ad Astra' a lodging Kennels near to Thorne.  Now I know the owners from ages ago and am always doing work for them.  I love the place full of dogs of all shapes / breeds.  I get free run of the place too as I have become friends with them and well trusted.  I get to make a fuss of the lodgers, sometimes getting in the runs with them  but one has to be careful, not all the canines are 'Griff Lovers'  One in particular was there whilst his handler was away, this was a huge German Shepherd full on trained attack dog.  Even with my Miroku I would have stood no chance with him.  Couldn't get anywhere near the cage or he would have damaged himself whilst trying to get to me to rip me to a slow death.  There are very few dogs I'm wary of and only one that I am genuinely scared of.

I met him yesterday

Griff

• Like 3

Mooring all,

Saturday,

First thing bleaching water stained decking on the boat, this was with a bottle of oxalic acid, that had been for a tour of Norfolk..  The 48 hour delivery took a week because it went...

Leigh on sea, Chelmsford,  Norwich,

Attleborough, recorded out for delivery,  a couple of days later, Attleborough,

Norwich,  a day later , Norwich,

Stalham, a Day later, Stalham,

Acle, Delivered to my house 4 miles from Stalham ( it had the correct details on the box)

Anyway after bleaching some bit's were successful , some bit's needed a recoat, and some bits never did clean up.. That was washed off, and during drying time, the top 6 inches of the boat sides were sanded down, ready for next weeks filling / sanding /painting. This area was damaged during transport back from Saudi..

When dry the decks and stern were varnished, The jib club was given a sand down an a first coat of varnish applied, that really soaked in..

A mounting point for Little Baron has started being created on the rear hatch cover, this is a sunken area for his plinth to sit in and be locked in place. The plinth was given another coat of varnish too..

Sunday,

Building more breeze block walls for the barbeque area.. that went well, Work on it will stop for a couple of weeks as I'm going to use the "table" as a work bench for cutting wood to repair the mobile homes eaves.

Monday..

When you work on the above, you get lots of little scratches on your hands..

IPA hand wipes and sanitizer don't half wake you up in the morning as I clean down the equipment at work before starting..

• Like 2

Well yesterday was a very mixed bag it started well enough, my son-in-law had been suffering from particularly unpleasant flu-like symptoms for a week with  high tempertature etc., so  one obviously  thinks the worst  could it be covid?    He went to get tested and when the result didn't arrive within the promised time frame  and he chased it  it seems they had lost all record of him! So he went on line,filled out a form and was given the advice to report to A and E within 1 hour! after various tests he was declared covid free - phew.It seems he has a very severe lung infection, nasty but not  as dire as covid can prove to be. My daughter phoned with the news just as we were, leaving to go to visit friends on their boat at Brundall Bay Marina. We had a really lovely day spending time with them and seeing various  old friends from our time mooring there. We arrived home about 10.30pm having had a really super day - the best for many months,to find a letter that had arrived after we'd  left telling us the very sad news of  the death of a very dear friend from our boating days at Ely marina. So the day didn't end  nearly so well as it had started.

Carole

• Sad 3

That really was a mixed bag, at least fate had it that the good news was at the start of a lovely day and the sad news waited so as not to cast a shadow over your visit to Brundall Bay.

Nonetheless sorry to hear of the loss of your close friend.

• Like 1