My Day

LizG

Thursday We looked at the worsening weather and decided to head home today with Polly’s Caravan.

All went well and we left Upton at 10. 
It didn’t last long!!
The car lost power on the A47 and  I just made it into Hethersett/Thickthorn Services where we called ‘International Rescue’, actually Mayday Caravan and Motorhome Club Recovery.

Thunderbird 1 came and attempted surgery, the theory was that it was a coil. It wasn’t and current thinking, excuse the pun, is that it is the alternator+ other possible issue.  
We were now awaiting Thunderbird 3 to tow us to 5 Ways on the A 11 where we will then have a relay to ???? Home hopefully.

Ah but Covid! We can’t travel in the cab, no screening. IR decree a taxi for us to home, car and caravan relayed there.

So we waited..........

No Taxi........

Several phone calls to IR ......

Ah Covid, nobody wants to do the job.

We waited.....

Ok a taxi to take us to liaise with the caravan and car so as to then travel in a screened Thunderbird home.

Yes but the car left an hour and a half ago.....say we miss the link? The idea of a night in Elveden Forest held no attraction at this point.

More phone calls and a lovely operator called Georgie said she had taken personal responsibility for sorting the whole thing, and she did.Bless her.
We got a taxi  (4.30) to take us to Five Ways (Elveden) the car and caravan went there ages ago.

We didn’t miss the link....

The second truck came at 6.40 And we were home at 9.30 that was 11.5 hours after we set off for a 2.5 hour trip. 🙂

So now to get the car fixed.....but that is another day.

still waiting for delivery of a new brake master cylinder that failed as i was testing the new discs and pads i had fitted to the car, it was due yesterday, but due to a problem is being redelivered today hopefully. fitting is simple, just a few bolts, bleeding any air from the system will be the fun bit, and the weather too of course.

well thats me looking stupid, £100 in parts, new brake master cylinder fitted, and it was still not workin properly, i did s lot more searching on the forums, then found 1 post saying to check the calliper springs were correctly fitted, with pictures showing right and wrong, popped outside and mine were wrong, i now have the brakes working i am still going to get new fluid and replace it as its quite old, and i still have new handbrake shoes to fit, weather permitting this weekend.

• Like 1

Peter, don't beat yourself up about it, your not the only that looks for the complex solution.

I have just spent 2 hours finding out why the new lights in Jill's dolls house do not work, I changed all 8 AA batteries but no luck, all the connections looked ok etc.

Check the batteries are reading 1.5v, yup, put them all back in, the RIGHT way round.

OOPS well I knew that was what was wrong. Dear!

paul

Today I had a breathing test at the hospital, which normally done by the nurse at our surgery (Five minute) walk from home.Which at present  there not doing.Then we picked up our daughters wedding  photos, which we had framed.Then this afternoon I was told my scan due next Monday cancelled because the machine  not working properly. So will be rearranged, all I need.

• Sad 1

My day? well my weekend including Friday evening

Came home dodging broken branches and soggy roads..

to find in our garden:

Several healthy branches of an oak tree pinning down the mains triple twisted insulated cable to next door and the farm beyond. The biggest was over 18 inches in diameter.... (power stayed on!)

Next doors telephone cable snapped on to the ground,

The marquee the boat lives in, stripped of it's covering which was wrapped up with ropes by SWMBO.

During a first cup of coffee, something flashed by the front window of the house..

On donning full waterproofs and riggers boots I went outside to find we'd lost three leading edge roof tiles and they'd taken down the front of house guttering which was what I saw go past. I retrieved the plastic gutter from the road, but the clay tiles were destroyed on impact.

A survey of the garden, now I was rigged up, showed a tree stump demolished, many branches down. Some smaller fir trees that had survived years are now at 45degrees..

UK power networks were phoned.. lots of questions including a request for photos, and repeated warnings to stay away from the cable..

Saturday,

Cleared  branches under cable as they were on the cess pit covers, on which I then placed big plant pots, I didn't want UK Power coming in with a Hiab and parking it on the covers, fishing one out of the cess pit would be awkward..

Covered the boat with plastic, weighted and roped down, cleared the area of anything of value and the wood supplies were removed to the garage and wood shed..

While going round to the neighbours to discuss tell her that UK power was organised, noticed we'd lost another 3 tiles one landing almost intact, that was retrieved  and now needs measurement so I can find replacements. It appears not to be a common tile.

From about 16:00 till 21:30 the power went off, we were just preparing to sleep in the living room, as the multifuel stove meant it was the only warm room when the power came back on..

Sunday,

UK Power arrived a bit later than forecast, as they found another tree on the cables of our road on the way to us.. As it was they decided to remove the branches with large pruning saws on fibreglass poles which plug together. unfortunately the last branch cut released the tension in the wire and catapulted onto and destroyed one of the plant pots, but at least we weren't fishing for it in the cess pit...  the guys were from Sussex

A bit later found two electricity hiabs outside our house, went out to see them, they were lost, trying to find a certain house without power, which was the farm a bit further on. These guys were from Wales!!!

So I then informed the neighbour it was cleared, so she phoned (by mobile) to get the telephone people out.. They arrived 20:00 and unbeknown to me laid a temporary cable across the garden.. which I tripped over when taking the dog for his morning patrol at 06:00 this morning..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ray said:

Pretty uneventful really then?

:default_coat:

Well the big event was down at the model railway club behind Haines Boat builders on Friday night, I could hear the asbestos roof coming adrift and bits sliding across the roof before crashing down behind the building. Luckily that's the landlords responsibility. During the evening there was a big crash from their yard, as something big got blown over.

Didn't stop me planting about 200 individual 4X 4 inch fence posts (in 1:148 scale) (that's 0.6mmX0.6mm) probably over a 1000 to go....

• Like 2

Our village - Stopped at the red traffic signal for the roadworks coming from Hayfield bridge.  Three vehicles in front of me all stopped.  Then a Richard Cranium in a small-ish white BMW shot past all three of us at speed, straight through the red light and away - Well guess what R.C - You're on dashcam - Happy days

That was yesterday

This morning downloaded and sent off to the Rozzers for them to deal with

Jumping red lights I see all the time and I normally live with it but this guy really was pushing it plus far too fast, especially for any pedestrians crossing who would have known the ‘last’ car in the train was past them

Griff

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

my day yesterday and part of today, having returned from lads week saturday it was time to get stuck into some serious jobs on the car, before the holiday I had replaced the handbrake shoes, but in doing so revealed the need for new rear disks and pads, so that was item number one, then on to the suspension drop links, item 2, as I had ordered a set of heavy duty drop links, i had the same job for the front, as well as requiring 2 new bottom ball joints on the suspension. the first of these was a pig and in manouvering the parts around I managed to seperate the cv joint, that was where I gave up sunday.

this morningit was back to the grind, i needed to remove the drive shaft to repair the cv joint, I have ordered a whole new drive shaft complete with cv joint, which will be fitted in due course. I had heard the drive shaft could be a bit of a pig to remove, but it popped right off with no problems, having watched the video, the cv joint was rebuilt within 20 minutes , repacked with grease and put back on the car.

It was then time to repeat the balljoint replacement on the drivers side, as well as the drop link, having watched a good video showing how to do this, the second side went without a hitch, with me finished and the car back in working order by 12.30pm.

somehow these jobs are a lot harder and take more out of me than they used to so yesterday i was left stiff and aching all over. still i am glad that i can do this work myself, otherwise the cost of keeping my car on the road would be prohibitive.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

my day yesterday and part of today, having returned from lads week saturday it was time to get stuck into some serious jobs on the car, before the holiday I had replaced the handbrake shoes, but in doing so revealed the need for new rear disks and pads, so that was item number one, then on to the suspension drop links, item 2, as I had ordered a set of heavy duty drop links, i had the same job for the front, as well as requiring 2 new bottom ball joints on the suspension. the first of these was a pig and in manouvering the parts around I managed to seperate the cv joint, that was where I gave up sunday.

this morningit was back to the grind, i needed to remove the drive shaft to repair the cv joint, I have ordered a whole new drive shaft complete with cv joint, which will be fitted in due course. I had heard the drive shaft could be a bit of a pig to remove, but it popped right off with no problems, having watched the video, the cv joint was rebuilt within 20 minutes , repacked with grease and put back on the car.

It was then time to repeat the balljoint replacement on the drivers side, as well as the drop link, having watched a good video showing how to do this, the second side went without a hitch, with me finished and the car back in working order by 12.30pm.

somehow these jobs are a lot harder and take more out of me than they used to so yesterday i was left stiff and aching all over. still i am glad that i can do this work myself, otherwise the cost of keeping my car on the road would be prohibitive.

Well done grendel.

Well I've only had 5 months to do this (having gone back to work finally) but the final straw was a new drip last Sunday very close to the white boat floor boards which I am still working on!!

Climbing off the step ladder onto the roof was the bit that required a bit of courage but after awhile I got more confident!  Gutter still to be fixed but don't want Cuprinol going into the water butt.

Haven't decided on whether to replace weather boards as all the leaf litter collected in the edges and rotted the wood, the shed was still very sound

Very satisfying even if won't win any prizes and my joints are completely wrecked and my knees are extremely sore!

IMG_20201020_153245_694[1].jpg

IMG_20201020_153249_791[1].jpg

IMG_20201020_153415_843[1].jpg

IMG_20201020_153607_348[1].jpg

• Like 5

Today has been a busy day, firstly i had to take my ex mother in law to her annual marsden checkup, and then when i arrived home i found my new driveshaft had arrived 2 days before it had been promised, this gave me a slim chance to get the thing fitted and the car in before the retest window expired, i arrived home at 2pm, by 3pm the part was fitted and i was at the test centre, left the car there, and arranged to be back just before they closed, arrived back at 5.15, and was just in time to see the car reverse from the test bay, got the thumbs up from the tester, so after a lot of work, and some new parts i am good for another year. I had been a bit worried about the emmissions as she had been kicking out a fair bit of smoke, but the good long run to norfolk for lads week and some injector cleaner in what was left in the tank when i got home meant she sailed through with under half the legal limit on emmissions. i am a happy bunny for another year now

• Like 3