My Day

LizG

8 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Looks very quiet there John 

The promenades and bars are quite busy during the day, shorts & t-shirt with a fleece at night, currently bars have to close at 5pm so the evenings are quiet, we are happy watching TV at night(have an app on the telly with everything on).

What we wouldn’t do for a week of warm weather unluckily we are not reality stars who can fly here and there willy nilly so until it’s very safe todo so we will be staying in soggy Cornwall and hopefully visit sunny Norfolk in May , June ,July and October 

We also have a weeks allocation in March but realistically that’s probably not going to happen 

51 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Looks lovely. What kind of temperatures have you got out there?

During the day its around 17° but feels warmer, I wear shorts and t-shirt but you need a fleece/coat in the evening. Lots of expat retirees here for the winter, only around 20% of bars are open but its nice not to have all the stag/hen parties, it makes for a pleasant experience, its not somewhere we would visit in peak season, we had planned to go to Portugal later this month but sacked it because of covid. Looking at the snow on the webcams in Norfolk makes us glad we are here.

2 hours ago, Jemaki said:

we had planned to go to Portugal later this month but sacked it because of covid.

Lots of changes on the travel front with negative tests required to come back into the country and self-isolation. I haven't ever been to Benidorm but do like Spain. I'm not that widely travelled though ... and I don't think I have any desire to be anywhere other than at home right now.

My day today? Staying in and keeping warm.

• Like 1

my day, another day for shopping, unfortunately, being a giesel, once the battery has provided the pre-heat there is barely enough juice left to turn the engine over, so after jumping it, it was shopping, then more shopping at halfords for a replacement battery (to be fair its been in the car since i got it 3 years ago and only used once a week for the last year).

so after getting the battery it was home via a scenic detour, I can report that at Manston there were about 40 lorries queuing for covid tests, and I passed another small convoy of about 5 headed for Dover on the operation Brock route. so can happily report that there seem to be no hold ups or issues with the port of Dover that I could see.

Old Battery charged up with a decent run (I was told by the man in Halfords it needed at least a one hour run to charge it up, so a one hour run it got). The battery will still get changed out for the new one once the weather cooperates, as I dont need to be let down. the new one is getting topped up as i dont know how long it has been on the shelf in halfords, but it does come with a 5 year warranty.

• Like 2

My day (well our) a phone call from my niece at 10:30, get over here now, 23 miles away, so of we set to get Pfizerred.

They had too many phials thawed and most of the ones that had bookings needed the Astra vaccine because of various allergies etc.

She is a steward at the leisure centre she normally manages.

I think anyone passing was being dragged in rather than waste a drop.

So far neither of us felt the jab or are suffering any effects, well apart from possibly 3 points going through the average speed cameras but I think remembered they were there in time.

paul

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, snunn said:

. . . . . . . . . . .so we will be staying in soggy Cornwall . . . . . . . . .

There are worse places to be than Cornwall!!  I wouldn’t mind being there myself just now.  Cornish pasties, decent fish and chips and cream teas still taste good in the rain (but not all at the same time, obviously).  We’re due to go to Cornwall for a week at the end of June (postponed from June 2020) and looking forward to it enormously.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, snunn said:

Don’t get me wrong I love living here it’s very special

but it does rain quite a lot !

where are you planning to come in June !

We’re staying near Kuggar - halfway between Coverack and The Lizard.

Having sold Hot Gossip we are looking  for another boat that has to fit a  very specific crfiteria.  Got advised today of a boat that may be of interest to us  and looking at  the details, indeed it is but we are unable to go and look at it in the present situation.  Am  I cheesed off? Very! Big time! 

Carole

4 minutes ago, addicted said:

Having sold Hot Gossip we are looking  for another boat that has to fit a  very specific crfiteria.  Got advised today of a boat that may be of interest to us  and looking at  the details, indeed it is but we are unable to go and look at it in the present situation.  Am  I cheesed off? Very! Big time! 

Carole

Nor should anyone else?

16 hours ago, addicted said:

Carole

16 hours ago, addicted said:

Can only hope so. but that's not the whole story , when looking to buy a boat , I enjoy the search as much as the finding, I'm never happier than when  roamijng around marinas looking at boats

Carole

I know exactly how you feel.

I bought "New Nyx" at the back end of last year. I had a stark choice. Buy the boat that on paper, looked to be ticking all the boxes, or risk not getting it because of my delay.

I am still yet to see my new boat but have owned it for approaching 3 months now. Hacked off? yes, very, but I still think I was right to buy.

I was unable to view back in Oct/Nov because I'm caring for an elderly lady. On Wednesday, she had a fall and is, for the time being, back in Hospital. So... I'm freed up and can go and see my new boat... Whoops, no I can't... Lockdown!!!

I reckon she'll be discharged from Hospital at about the same time the lockdown is lifted, but hey! That's life.

Carole, I say all this because in my opinion, if you can't have the viewing, don't necessarily fail to buy the boat, however frustrating it might be.

• Like 1

I get your point and thank you for your thoughts but we would not risk buying a boat unseen. I am fairly pholosophical about this type of thing - if a delay means losing the boat then  I'll take the view that it was not meant for us. To be honest I'd have preferred to find a boat later rather than  sooner.   If it's sitting on a mooring unattended during the rest of the winter months not having been prepared for winter by Tony or someone he trusts to do it I'll worry constantly. You're obviously made of very stern stuff to be tolerating this situation so stoically, you must be itching to get on board your new Nyx. I really feel for you.

Carole

• Thanks 1

I’m tiling a kitchen floor.

Yesterday fitted 6mm insulation boards - I told the client to supply 10mm. Then 100w heating mat - I told him to supply 150w. Now I’m fixing  ceramic floor tiles that are as cheap as chips, should have been porcelain of course. Thing he’s a shooting mate of mine and not short of a few Bob. He’s gonna regret he didn’t take my advice, you can’t tell some folk even when they are mates

Griff

image.jpg

• Like 3

I've oh so nearly got a full day off from tiling today - One of these days it will happen, he says optimistically.

I have to go round to yesterdays client to silicone worktop to tile, a five minute job that I knew would need doing today.  That should have been it

But no.  I get a call from a client whose bathroom I tiled last week.  He has just got round to installing the w/c only to find that he put the waste pipe in the wrong place.  Also the hot n cold pipes for the shower were in the wrong place too.  So, he has removed three tiles and re-sited said services in the correct location.  Could I go round and fit three new tiles for him as he cannot now finish the bathroom fixtures and fittings until I have done so.

What a right royal PITA  Fitting three ceramic wall tiles will be, all three have to be shaped / cut, that means loads of tools out of t van as just the same as if I was fitting two hundred tiles.  If I don't do it for him today it'll only have to be done next Saturday and its holding him up.  Sigh.  Ok then. here we go once more, onwards and upwards

Griff

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday the forecast was for the odd light shower, started snowing about 15 mins ago and the forecast is now for 3 hours of heavy snow followed by light snow for another few hours!  The teenagers are still in their pits but my 7 year old and dog are getting excited.  Any snowmen will have to be on the green though as the garden may have a couple of doggy land mines 💩

21235C88-5DBF-4831-BF26-F8EFAFF0A301.jpeg

• Like 1