My Day

LizG

my day so far, a call to ask if i had a spare micro filter, as my daughters internet had stopped working and they wanted to test their internal bits, as if its their equipment they get charged £65, anyway a quick trip with the micro filter, some post and her christmas presents, and a doorstep exchange for my christmas present, and then back home.

As i got near home the snow started, and there was a good layer overall by the time i parked up. now back snug indoors for the next 6 days.

• Like 1

Having to drive to Retford first thing this morning, got a 30+ m2 floor to prep and tile with large format porcelain jobbies.  Retford is a distance to travel for me as normally closer to home

Roads look as icy as a frozen Broad.  Van is yet again iced up too.  Thank goodness for winter tyres and a heated screen / seat.  I could have really enjoyed a heated steering wheel too.  I must be getting nesh in my dotage

Griff

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I could have really enjoyed a heated steering wheel too.  I must be getting nesh in my dotage

Got one of those on my car, thought it was another useless gimmick until it got cold but use it all the time now!

• Like 1

Well my weekend started with moving the keel outside, someone insisted in getting in the picture..

image.thumb.png.0a3f288cce2af052af266c77aacc155d.png

That's as far as I got with the keel, it's got another 50 ft to go to get to the boat, but the ground is too soft, I need to get some thick sheets of ply or OSB to stop it sinking in..

So the keel,  or to be more precise the trolley beneath is now protected by a big sheet of plastic until it can be moved.

Between the keel and the boat will be an weight load spreading board. This has been made and glassfibred, it needs a good sanding down then comes the joy of lying on my back beneath the Boat getting it lined up and attached, then drilling through the hull for the keel bolts..

The keel all up weighs about 180kg, but the volume it takes, gives around 30kg buoyancy.. That hits the target 150kg...

image.thumb.png.acb46f1b050f1892f317819fa9c8be1d.png

• Like 2

It’ll all be ready for your arrival - said this morning’s client. 

Really.

Two n half hours later of me cleaning / prepping the floor it is actually ready.

Then I’m informed they want it herringbone style along with  12m of skirting tile / trim as well

Bang goes a steady four day job.

Sigh

Griff

D1369469-9270-4FC1-9534-ECB789C27525.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

After a weekend of rain, we woke to find everything coated in white stuff , which looked beautiful under a  clear blue sky. The sun was warm, so we decided to have a trudge round the village before lunch.  The  air over the Channel was surprisingly hazy but  from our vantage point in the churchyard, you could just make out the bulk of Cap Gris Nez in the far distance.  Not much by way of shipping to be seen except for one large container ship heading South.  Back home and we prepared lunch. Haggis, bashed neeps and champit tatties in honour of Robert Burns' birthday. The whisky gravy of my own devising set the dish off nicely. A rare treat indeed.   Don't know what the rest of the day will bring, but if it is as good as the first half, bring it on!

• Like 4

Yesterday at 1800 I was driving home from the clients. (Via another potential client that I had to do an estimate for so eventually got in for around 1930, another 12 Hr + day)

The whole floor is now tiled with skirting tile & trim fitted, although I can't fit a few pieces of skirting tile until the kitchen is installed.  None of it is grouted.  I knew this would happen due to the extra time required for a herringbone pattern, some of the cuts / shapes round the door frames were a right challenge not to mention the client then decided they wanted extra tiling done in the under-stairs cupboard too.  This means the pressure is on for me to fit in time to grout 30+ m2 then I can issue an invoice of course.

Todays job is a little un so after finishing the tiling I shall be whizzing off back to Retford to try and get it all grouted then back to todays job to grout that.  There is still a small chance that I won't have to do any tiling work tomorrow afternoon

Griff

• Like 1

Eureka!  Last weekend I actually got two days off with no tiling responsibilities whatsoever.

Yesterday I commenced a motorcycle showroom job.  It's a biggun too, over 200 m2 of porcelain floor tiling plus around 75 m of skirting tile to fit.  The ball ache will be the prep work, lifting up Karndean and floor skim.  Spent all day at it yesterday doing about a quarter of the area and still nowhere near ready to stick a tile down, won't be sticking tiles down today either but I'm hoping to get some self levelling compound down. 

Woke up to a decent covering of snow this morning as expected and it is still snowing now, through to about 1000 so the forecasters say, that'll make getting to work interesting once again

Griff

BA NBN 926.jpg

BA NBN 927.jpg

BA NBN 928.jpg

• Like 3

This weekend was just sanding the keel weight spreading board,

Putting up more shelving in the future library, painting the next set of shelving and making a stack of blanks for the section after that. 

Painting the  New axle for the trailer, and more planning of the Modifications to the trailer.  AKA the cutting plan for the old flat bed that sat on the old trailer, to make the new bed for the keel to sit on..

Plus I decided to make a new trailer board, the old one is in the region of 40 years old and a bit the worse for wear. The new one will be all LED and meet the latest spec's. Parts have been ordered..

• Like 1

I've been busier than a bag of busy things on this job

Today - Thursday, I actually at last 1805014807_BANBN930.thumb.jpg.fce0c29aee387a2baf7cad450e2ca243.jpgcommenced tiling of an area that has taken me three full days to prepare.

I lost two n half hours though as the showroom manager down at Triumph head office had sent up the incorrect set of floor plans.  By close of play I had managed to get 17m2 stuck down.  More of the same tomorrow

Griff

P.S   Not a scooby how the photo ended up in the middle of the txt - Sorry

• Like 1

By Friday at 1800-ish, 25m2 down including 14m of skirting tile and trim.  Lost my day off Saturday as had to sort out a family mini crisis during the forenoon and seeing as the day was mucked about went back to the Triumph showroom and grouted it all

Today spent about hour n half changing the brushes in my Fein multicutter, that was only a 15 min job, the remainder of the time was discovering a break in the supply cable, not where you would expect it either :default_smiley-angry047:  Still, all to the good and raring to go in t morning.

It has at last started snowing about an hour ago.  That means tomorrows commute will be delayed with yet more numptys blocking the roads with their unsuitable low ground clearance cars shod with soft summer too wide tyres.  I refuse to get stressed out or worse proper angry.  Note to self - take a snow shovel and one of my shotguns!

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It’s days like this that I am thankful for working from home. It has snowed a bit overnight but it’s blowing around and looks really cold. No decision to be made as to whether to take the car out, wait for the bus or walk, as would have been the case in the past. 

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

Not going anywhere:-

My Anemometer is reading mean 35mph, gusting 46mph windchill - 10C. From ENE.

Earlier on it  was showing 47mph -2C that's -12C windchill from the official weather station at Weybourne. 55mph -14 wind chill late yesterday..

The afore photo'd Collie wanted to play outside when I took him for his morning walk at 06:00   No chance too Darn Cold..

Drove the car in from the coast near Stalham, to near the Airport, not a lot of snow on the coast maybe 1/2 inch, but in Norwich about 2 inches.

Biggest problem, lockdown means not enough cars to melt a channel in the snow for the tyres..

A thought on lock down, how come on the previous two weekends lunchtime walks with the dog, about half a dozen cars would go past on the road section.. Yesterday in bad weather... None.. So were they really essential journeys the previous weekends?

And as for this weekend, several shelves made painted and installed in the house.

A section of the old flatbed on top of the trailer was cut to size outside, brought into the workshop for trimming up, de rusting, painting etc.. Problem..

In doors the angle grinder is darn noisy on metal.. Operations suspended Till I can find out where my ear defenders have hidden themselves.. (gloves, goggles, respirator, thick overalls were worn)