Any News On Berney Arms

Baitrunner

I may have missed any updates, but as we get underway this season is there any news on what is happening there? Any stopped there recently?

i know there was talk of food being offered? But what about beer?

seeing as we might be stopping there this weekend. 

Not necessarily good news.  There is apparently a reopening event taking place this weekend, a 'hog roast'.  Rumoured that the people running this event were also involved in running the 'rave' in the area last year, that had booming beats echoing across the marshes.

Berneyarms replied to this (added by Mod, HA)

Berneyarms

And a big old hello to you all....what's all this about a rave...wish I'd been told as it might clash with our opening.... hold you hard an less a that old squit ... we will not now or ever be holding/hosting or attending any rave at the berney....my favorite saying is the proof of the pudding is in the eating....any silly bugger can talk rubbish promising the world , but at the end of the day the truth shines through......so....perhaps the best thing to do is come and have a look and support us.....green Jack beer arrives tonight ..!!!!!

Edited by Hockham Admiral
Berneyarms replied to this

Good evening....have been up at the berney a few weeks helping them get ready ..they seem to be doing an amazing job with no budget and no help...they are definitely  not into rave music..quite the opposite ..all of  their efforts appear aimed at saving the peace and beauty of the area .. not so quick to judge people bob in case you're doing them a disservice ..perhaps what this  pleasant little group of people needs is our support..I for one will  be there...they do have an alcohol license  for the easter weekend and a bbq.....!

• Like 11

Respect to Bob's views of course but thinking about it there would be one serious problem with a rave - access. No trains after dark, no legal road access for the general public (they wouldn't be able to find their way anyway, long complex route) and I can't see a load of stoned punters walking 5 miles from GY or Reedham across the marshes. Or heaven forbid hiring a boat :naughty:

Mind you I understand the original owner managed to buy it back somehow..........

• Like 2

Just now, NorfolkNog said:

Nor much to tell Peter - the pub was up for auction a while back but was suddenly withdrawn as I understand the person who owned it before managed to buy it back. Think back to change of use, holiday chalets etc 

Ooh dear, I thought that the problems of the past were dead and buried.

12 hours ago, Bobdog said:

Not necessarily good news.  There is apparently a reopening event taking place this weekend, a 'hog roast'.  Rumoured that the people running this event were also involved in running the 'rave' in the area last year, that had booming beats echoing across the marshes.

Booming beats across the marsh, that could soon upset the local residents!

Re the noise, it's amazing just how far sound can travel. When one of my daughters turned eighteen we had a garden party, as one does. I thought that we were having a disco, one of my other daughters being a DJ, but several musician friends turned up, including members of The Darkness and inevitably they set up drums and they all plugged in as a jam session developed and further developed. So as not to disturb our neighbours the speaker cabinets were all faced across Oulton Broad, that obviously worked as the following day comments were made that our neighbours had heard nothing. However a good friend of mine is member of Beccles plod. As the crow flies I suppose our garden is possibly eight or nine miles from Beccles, largely across open marshland. Apparently complaints had been made in Beccles and Plod had been out determined to track down an illegal rave! Embarrassing but by heck it had been something of a party, judging by the wheelie-bins full of empties we collected from around the garden the following morning.  Until then I had no idea quite how far 'booming beats' could travel! Four daughters have lots of friends and more than a few turned up plus a few uninvited but in fairness their behaviour had been impeccable and in the morning ourselves and a group of volunteers soon cleared up.

• Like 2

If it brings in the money and keeps the place 'alive' all well and good.   They are hardly going to have a 'rave' on a regular basis.   It will wake up the area that is for sure.      And before you think she must like rave music,  I hate any loud music with a vengeance.     Folks have to earn money and the fact that the Berney Arms Cafe is there will be a plus for us boaters and somewhere to moor that the BA hasn'tnt disowned will be a big plus.         I read yesterday that Aldeby moorings have been lost now.    

Re Aldeby I too had heard that. Apparently the rent had been hiked up so the Authority, wisely in my opinion, refused to be held to ransom. Okay, so we have lost a twenty four hour mooring but I rarely saw hire boats there so I don't suppose the holiday trade will suffer much. Being so near to Beccles I often wondered why folk moored there and often during the week no one did. Not much of a loss in my opinion and a wise stance by the BA. Mind you, I often moored there, great fishing spot! Be interesting to see what the landowner does with the mooring and whether I have lost my easy fishing.

I hate that Booming when coming from cars. Some mainline manufactuers fit them now! 

There is a silver lining though, being mounted in the boot you can't get a spacesaver in so hopefully they can enjoy their chest rattling bass as they sit on top of some dale somewhere with gunk spilling out their sidewall. Mid-winter with a blizzard swirling would be a bonus.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re Aldeby I too had heard that. Apparently the rent had been hiked up so the Authority, wisely in my opinion, refused to be held to ransom. Okay, so we have lost a twenty four hour mooring but I rarely saw hire boats there so I don't suppose the holiday trade will suffer much. Being so near to Beccles I often wondered why folk moored there and often during the week no one did. Not much of a loss in my opinion and a wise stance by the BA. Mind you, I often moored there, great fishing spot! Be interesting to see what the landowner does with the mooring and whether I have lost my easy fishing.

We love to moor there as nice and quiet and good fishing.        Most days when we have moored it has been like sardines in a tin, rammed in with a fag paper width between us , mind you I am talking June.     I read this morning that you can still moor but on payment of a £5 or £4 to someone who collects.   I cannot verify this.   I hope this is so as we would pay to moor for the night.

Boycee, probably true and for a secure overnight mooring probably fair enough although yours truly won't pay to moor on principle, especially as there is miles of 'wild' mooring either side! I only ever moor to fish, or to walk up to the fishing lakes so hopefully it'll be free during the day, please. 

17 hours ago, Bobdog said:

Those Bitterns are going to get a bad reputation at this rate

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Aldeby is a good mooring to use before moving on to Beccles for a day trip. It is a loss in my opinion but at least it looks as though for a fee one can still moor there. With dogs, wild mooring is often not an option and Aldeby provides some very good walkies. At the top of the drive and across the road lives (or lived) a lady who sold homemade marmalade, jams, chutneys, eggs and sometimes fruit/veg when in season. Well worth a walk to and great produce. She was selling up last year so may now be gone. It's only when you walk that you discover these little gems sometimes.

• Like 2