Water Filtration

I found an old thread about this but the links in have expired! On my boat I have one of those chromed sticky up drum type filters with an upside down "u" pipe on the top. It has a removable filter that may have been in there since it was built for all I know.

Anyone know what type of replacement I need and who might sell these? I have searched various web pages including ASAP and Brian Ward but can see nothing that would appear to be a "Cartridge type" insert. They all seem to be disposable inline jobbies!

cheers in advance for any help!

Good subject for me to bring up a new (well old actually) but kinda cool idea for water tanks on boats..

I used to own a large pond and went a bit mad with pumps and filtration and as a result had a U.V light that the water was pumped through and thus killed a bunch of bacteria and generally did help keep the water clear especially in summer.

Just so you know, Ultra Violet water filters are highly efficient at killing bacteria, viruses and other micro organisms that can be found in un-treated water. The way they work is by passing water through a chamber which is flooded with Ultra Violet light. The UV light shines through water passing along the unit, and destroys the cell's DNA thereby neutralising it.

What a great idea for a boat I thought - you wire the U.V light to only operate as the water pump runs and these units come in all sorts of sizes for different flow rates - so the water will be automatically better so far as bacteria goes.  They don't even cost very much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Don't think that's the one VC. The one i remember for the type that you have is a solid ceramic one that looks similar to a sodastream gas bottle and is a creamy beige colour. Not even sure you can still  get them. Off into the Chandler some time over The weekend, I will ask for you and let you know.

cheers

Trev

Onboard 'B.A' we don't bother with filtration, bottled water, boiling before drinking etc etc.

Our method is:-  Every two years sterilise the fresh water tanks, pipes, calorfier, pressure tank  etc, then drink / use the H20 straight from the (Stainless steel) tanks.  We have been doing this for ten years now with no ill effects to regular or visiting crew members

Griff

• Like 2

I don't like the thought of the water filters standing at the side of the sink on boats, one they don't get the though put and hold water in the sunlight. bugs start to grow around 22c if there in the water. to kill any you've to chem flush or have 70c water flushing the system.

I like the UV option and for those private owners who have tanks holding water for a week in summer inbetween visits. I did a quick search and around £340 piped into the tank you can run them for a hour and your tank would be safe.

We have to monitor our tanks at work to ensure each tank is flushed ever 24 hour to prevent and issues.

Well this year we are going for it. After 5 yrs of me being precious. 

i have sterilised the tank and will be adding tabs to every refill. We have a fresh water filter - although this is just a taste filter not an antibacterial filter. It will be boiled anyway  

If we get the squits I suspect we will  be back to canned water. 

by the way normal drinking water is from the bottle. Dirt cheap unless you want posh crap.  

Kaz has offered to go collect 8 off 5 litre bottles of water £1.07 from moggies (Morrisons other shops area available) for Friday.

She always park at the top of the car park, in the boot of her car are 4 bin bags of ball pool balls which she'll have forgot is in there. So juggle 4 bags of balls 40 litres of water on a steep car park it's going to be like the last game in the jungle of 'get me out of here'.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Onboard 'B.A' we don't bother with filtration, bottled water, boiling before drinking etc etc.

Our method is:-  Every two years sterilise the fresh water tanks, pipes, calorfier, pressure tank  etc, then drink / use the H20 straight from the (Stainless steel) tanks.  We have been doing this for ten years now with no ill effects to regular or visiting crew members

Griff

Ditto, Charlie, but I use about a couple of pints of pub pipeline cleaner with about 5-10 gallons of water. I pump it all through our 10 taps and leave it for half an hour. Then flush through with lots of fresh water.

This is after winter when the lines and tank have all been drained. 

Mary-Jane and I have been doing this on various boats since 1980!

• Like 2

This was the system we had on our old boat.

http://www.duratank.com/protection-against-water-contamination

It was a tank liner made by them with the bead system and never had any bad tastes or smells and never actually died of anything, they recommend a new bead sock every five years but it just goes in down the filler with no need to remove the old beads.

I'm tempted to line the tank I have now with the same system.

• Like 1

Guess what ? Two professional microbiologists on board and we just fill tanks ( after flushing due to droppage and sun action) then we " drink it". Lol 

We have had new tanks but never sterilise the tanks ... warning folks that can cause more issues than just leaving them ....

M

On 4/14/2017 at 8:23 AM, Hockham Admiral said:

Ditto, Charlie, but I use about a couple of pints of pub pipeline cleaner with about 5-10 gallons of water. I pump it all through our 10 taps and leave it for half an hour. Then flush through with lots of fresh water.

This is after winter when the lines and tank have all been drained. 

Mary-Jane and I have been doing this on various boats since 1980!

TEN taps? really lol

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 11:22 PM, VetChugger said:

Thanks for that Trev, We are a bit short of swindleries here in Wakefiled!

VC.  Boulters do list them. It is a doulton super sterasyl 11 inch ceramic water filter. If the don't have them in stock they can get fairly quickly. Price 24 quid incl vat.

Hope this helps

cheers

Trev

• Like 1

Iv'e fitted one of these to each of the boats we've owned and never had a problem either.

The white pipe comes direct from the tank and has an on/off switch for ease of filter cartridge changing. It therefore filters ALL the fittings on the boat. All the taps and shower too, including the hot water, and so everything is safe to drink.

I flush the tank every spring and treat with the Tabs and then change the filter which just unscrews.

Water filter.JPG

• Like 1