Never Ending Story

Malanka

Hello everyone. 

Just thought we would start a topic on the hole in the water that is Malanka and her continuing journey to restore her to her former glory.

I'm not going to list what has been done already as I don't really want to remind myself but we will start here with what is left to do.

we won't be out and about until after Easter as Malanka has an appointment with a huge crane at Moonfleet. She is being lifted for the fist time since the Hull planking two seasons ago and now requires a fresh bottom scrape and tar wash. She is due to have her drive shaft bearings replaced at the same time and some minor dinks and scrapes sorted out at the same time as finishing off the planking as it has now fully expanded contracted and settled down. 

This season we are having new canvases throughout. The guys at Jeckells came up with some great ideas and we can't wait to see the New Look Malanka. The guys are also fitting new seats in the cockpit and aft well as the old ones had really come to the end of their days. We are also toying with the idea of some new lightweight cockpit flooring and more modern soundproofing. Lifting the floor is an Olympic event and best done rarely or in extremis.

I will keep everyone updated as the work progresses. Happy Easter to everyone.

M&F

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

OK All,

Bit of a double post but silly me forgot I had started this thread for the maintenenace section of Malanka never ending story.

Malanka is currently having her nether regions dealt with in the shed at Moonfleet (Moonfleet for next few weeks anyway) She hasn't been out of the water for a couple of seasons and it is essential to prevent the spread of rot. So she is up and out and being sorted out. Kind of Rhyms I think... Poetic or what.... 

So far some replacement boards are required some up by the bow, the official description was, "I put my fist through it and now there's a big hole". There are more rotten boards near the starboard stern area. This latter one doesn't surprise me as this is where the really bad rot was in the decks before we had the whole lot replaced two years ago. (which is why she is covered in new Trackmark too) The prop shaft bearings are seeing some replacement action and some remediation to the galley and wheelhouse windows. The hull boards of last big job are now dry and the gaps are being filled in traditional style (I'm a purist) along with some shed dings and a lick of paint. Anything more crops up and I will of course update the list. The lovely people at Jeckells have made the new burgundy canopies and ivory seats and they are to be fitted while the old lady is in the shed being seen to.

If folks want to see an old woody out of the water then if Phil agrees i'm sure you could pop over and say hi and see what she looks like without clothes so to speak. Also a good opportunity to see the quality of the work Phils guys do as well. One of the things that always surprises me when I see Malanka out of the water is that she is huge, well at least to me she is.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

If you are at all freaked out by that picture here are a few more from 2014 when some more extensive work was required.

So as you can see the few this time are not really in the same league as before but the poor lady keeps having photographs of her bare bottom. No decorum these girls from the 50"s you know....

330.JPG

331.JPG

332.JPG

333.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Malanka said:

Yes credit goes to Charlie (Dolphin) for the photos. She took many more but I didn't want to bore everyone to death with broken boat pics.

What's wrong with broken boat bits...oh apart from the picture where you first realise you are BALD...and not one of your friends or family told you!

Hair Today.png

• Like 4

Thank you Pauline!

Its been a while I know.  I was a little disillusioned with the whole forum thing for some time and have to admit that my only reason for lurking was work avoidance while I was supposed to be writing reports.  However, (see... report speak!) it has reminded me that there is fun to be had and I may just lurk a little more often. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Dolphin said:

Thank you Pauline!

Its been a while I know.  I was a little disillusioned with the whole forum thing for some time and have to admit that my only reason for lurking was work avoidance while I was supposed to be writing reports.  However, (see... report speak!) it has reminded me that there is fun to be had and I may just lurk a little more often. 

Well heres hoping that you start enjoying the forum again. :welcome: back I say from me and the Wench (some call her Inge) just down the road.

Charlie

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Timbo said:

What's wrong with broken boat bits...oh apart from the picture where you first realise you are BALD...and not one of your friends or family told you!

I had just assumed you got carried away with the belt sander, or leant too close to the table saw.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I had just assumed you got carried away with the belt sander, or leant too close to the table saw.

He's going to be needing to be standing a bit closer to all of the power tools, Royal Tudor is supposed to be propping up the (now newly refurbished) quay head in Beccles in 11 weeks!!!

:facepalm:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dolphin said:

Thank you Pauline!

Reports v forum? No contest.

23 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Timbo, If the weather breaks or you find 'camping' is for kids, go to the pleasure boat and use Nyx as a base. you know you are more than welcome. 

I think Tim found all the kids in the tent next door, they like to stay up until the early hour which explains the eye bags today.

Doug.