Never Ending Story

Malanka

Hello again,

Well of course the law of unintended consequences also exists in the boat maintenance field.

Below are the latest manifestations of said law. In short, attaching the new chine the guys found the stern brace was ahem.... a little old and dry and rotten... Consequence the clamp disintegrated it when attached. So the guys removed it and replaced it with a lovely new oak member.. The video is interesting as it shows the dimensions of the oak frames used on old Wooden Brooms and they are HUGE...

So we now have new chines both sides and new member in the stern. Phil did inform me today that they found a small section of the chine near the bow that had been replaced "donkeys years ago" which was made of PINE. Needless to say it was removed and we now have full length oak members. Makes me feel reassured for the future.

So here are the latest installments of the never ending story.

I have two interviews next week too so wish me luck.

PHOTO-2019-01-25-14-06-38-1.jpg

PHOTO-2019-01-25-14-06-38.jpg

PHOTO-2019-01-25-14-06-37.jpg

• Like 2

Oh I forgot to mention that following our miraculous incident with the auto bilge pump, Malanka now has another float switch actuated bilge pump sited in the bow area, this now makes three electric ones (two float switches and a hugely efficient one with manual switch) plus the manual one which I reconnected last summer after finding it disconnected. This is a vintage cylinder pump affair of course made of brass which is about as easy to get to and to use as ground unicorn horn. Next seasons mods will include new wheelhouse boards so that will be easier, OMG what am I saying??? Oh yes I forgot this is the never ending story... Oh well.

Interviews went very well, both companies wish to progress to second stage interviews. Wish me luck...

M&F

• Like 4

If those companies only knew you like I do they would   :default_icon_eek:    . . . . . . .  employ you immediately eh? :default_norty:  Want a reference? - Er no better not, Finger crossed here all the same

New wheelhouse deck boards eh? - Snap, planned in for us to sort out this coming April but not wishing to derail this thread I'll expand more on this later on t'other never ending project thread :default_smile:

Griff

OK so we are coming to the end of the major stuff and only some minor internal bits and pieces of softy stuff left to do. OK that involves a replacement window but hey ho.

When we bought Malanka we could not understand why the starboard side immediately post wheel house window was plastic with holes drilled in it. Phil was non the wiser either, so after 9 years the wood underneath this bodged heath Robinson fix is soft and the window leaks. Time for replacement with glass, correctly ventilated, and ideally able to be opened. That's what is coming before the galley gets dealt with. Before all of that is the major surgery stuff below the waterline. 

So here are the latest pictures of the stupendous work being done by Roger. He is supposed to be retired but he is staying on to do stuff like this. It's freezing cold, he is wearing knee pads and insulated jackets and he still is at it in all weathers. So here are the latest three pictures in total deference to Roger who has done all the woodwork in the latest batch. Many thanks Roger you're an amazing guy. A lesson to us all about doing what we love. thank you my friend.

Still loving that super paint job, can't wait to get her out onto the waterPHOTO-2019-02-01-19-33-44.thumb.jpg.0b57530eaed713ec7d032498094afe02.jpgPHOTO-2019-02-01-19-33-59.thumb.jpg.9024602f89a10a3c190c04deeebf5ad8.jpgPHOTO-2019-02-01-19-34-09-1.thumb.jpg.e9a17bcea12d42c6f13a32cf0ab13a0e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks I will be offline for a while as Weds sees me head off to the UK for two days of interviews. A couple of great British companies so I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone.

OK back to to the boat stuff. The old lady is due to be floated in the straps at the end of this week, then transferred to Simpsons wetshed to continue with the interior work. Attached are the photos of the grab rails, toe rails, forward deck planking, and the new "temporary fix" for the cabin roof. I'm sure you will join me in saying that it's a pretty damn good temporary solution. There is also some final chine work going on and a picture of that too. I have to say I am really proud of the work done by the guys and we will definitely be buying them a present (usually liquid) as well as paying the bill.

1e50778c-167b-4e1a-a6d3-c4934dda1d13.thumb.jpg.d4df88cd9b17f2976f3f017a19f90ccc.jpge2a0bb9d-3dd7-4a98-94a5-67b619709c28.thumb.jpg.d66a06ac98527b4062529fc16a43c4ed.jpg

bdb215fd-e83a-41b0-9071-b2b98296405d.thumb.jpg.2aee8522bfb08a59a83350baf394b6da.jpgb40cc226-3cf0-4d86-babb-4d19dd74baae.thumb.jpg.a9dc0703dd702db86ef228a866d090cd.jpg

My favourite pictures are numbers two and three which show the old lady really rocking the polished and varnished look. I can't wait to see her and get out for Easter or as soon as I can depending on weather.

I think the chine picture shows the quality of the work which doesn't make the bill a joy to pay but I can appreciate skill and craftsmanship when I see it.

See you all soon folks

Martin and Fiona

• Like 7