Holiday Blog �

Enjoyed reading your write up and looking forward to the next one.

One of the reasons that I like hiring from different yards on different trips is to give you different start and finish places and thus different cruising routes. For example if you hire from Ferry Marina then Horning is quite central and gives you a lot of options for first and last night moorings. Hiring from Richardson's can mean that the Ant becomes more of a transit than visiting the moorings. Hiring from anywhere in Wroxham can give you the same feeling about the stretch of the Bure down to Salhouse.

So I like the variety ... and as our next trip starts from Wroxham I fully intend to see whether the yard can get us under Wroxham Bridge instead of waiting for the pilot so that we can head to Coltishall.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Enjoyed reading your write up and looking forward to the next one.

One of the reasons that I like hiring from different yards on different trips is to give you different start and finish places and thus different cruising routes. For example if you hire from Ferry Marina then Horning is quite central and gives you a lot of options for first and last night moorings. Hiring from Richardson's can mean that the Ant becomes more of a transit than visiting the moorings. Hiring from anywhere in Wroxham can give you the same feeling about the stretch of the Bure down to Salhouse.

So I like the variety ... and as our next trip starts from Wroxham I fully intend to see whether the yard can get us under Wroxham Bridge instead of waiting for the pilot so that we can head to Coltishall.

Great idea. I've got my eye on boats from Brinks and Broom so hopefully I'll get a bit of variety. :)

• Like 1

Thanks again London Lad, an enjoyable read. You're like me in loving the cruising and not usually staying put for long in the day time.  Did you know the nearest train station to Stalham is Hoveton & Wroxham? It would make the taxi trip shorter. 

Yep we all love the Ant I think. Jean, I know what you mean about the Ant becoming a transit. Although I'm hiring from Stalham twice this year, one of the things that upset me about Horizon closing was no longer having a choice of bases, plus Acle is a brilliant start location for both the North and South. I fully intend to try some different yards in the near future. I've been reading good things about Bridgecraft so I may try there or perhaps Barnes. The jury's out on the Emblem fleet for me, I think they like to sell themselves as cheaper than they really are and that sticks in the throat a bit. 

What I'm intending to do on my trip in May is to come straight down the Ant first of all but then shortly afterwards meander all the way back up and down and enjoy all the twiddly bits, Woods End Staithe included (thanks again Robin).  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

The jury's out on the Emblem fleet for me, I think they like to sell themselves as cheaper than they really are and that sticks in the throat a bit. 

Simon we have hired from Ferry Marina a couple of times and I would definitely go back. It is true that the all inclusive price can work out to more than hiring a similar boat from some other yards depending how much fuel you use ... and we don't tend to use that much. But the staff are really friendly, very helpful, the boats are well turned out, the location is a great starting point and we like their service. When you arrive back you can just disembark and go ... no hanging around for someone to dip the tank or fill up the diesel and then queue up for your refund. Great service and I'm liking the look of their newer boats for couples as well.

• Like 1