For All Grimmys

Or should it be Grimmies?

Anyway, to all of us originating from "The fishing Village at the End of a Railway Track" (as Ronald Gill, MA, my old Headmaster used to say), please let's hear some more!

I would start with the day that I climbed 300ft to the very, very top of the Dock Tower but that's quite a long story!

220px-Grimsby_Dock_Tower.jpg

Yes there was . The headmaster that I knew there was Vic Jay  . Wintringham was a bit strict not posh though but we were scared to death of the Chelmsford girls . We had to hide our bowler  hats  otherwise they ended up in the allotments in Littlefield Lane.  Having said that good times.The standards that Miss Dean instilled in us are still with me today.My husband went to Chelmsford. Wouldn't say  he was a gentleman!.

21 hours ago, oceandawn said:

You must have to gone to Wintringham with Ron Gill.Hope that you didn't get up to mischief behind the bikesheds! Where are you moored ? Do you fly the Lincolnshire flag?

Pauline, Hi.

I'm afraid I got into rather a lot of trouble with Ron Gill when I painted "RHUBARB!" across the front of the school in 6ft high letters........

We're moored at Bells and yes, I do fly the Lincolnshire flag from my flagpole at home!

• Like 1

That reminds me of the time that a couple of lads scaled the crematorium roof on the last day of term and wrote frying tonight.  Think they were expelled. In poor taste but compared to what happens today quite innocent really. The reason that I I asked you where you were moored was because  we are moving to Swancraft and a boat there was flying the flag and it looked similar to yours.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:18 AM, Hockham Admiral said:

Cod? COD? No-one in Grimsby ever ate cod... it was always Haddock!   :dunce:

Always always haddock, cod was for fishcakes only.

Best fish in town was always from coxs. Best bar none but now sadly gone :44_frowning2:

Another oddity about fish from Grimsby is that it always had it's skin left on. Everywhere else it is skinned don't know why. Yes you are correct about Coxs. Very strange how old traditions stay with areas. I think that Lowestoft had a traditiion of split haddock.It always looked as if it had been run over. The worst split haddock that I have ever experienced was from the fish shop by Wroxham bridge . It was  some time ago though, Grey and flat!,

Yes The Pea Bung .Although the shop across the road is still there I think. Cannot remember the last time that I went into Freeman Street. Such a shame, it used to be buzzing with a pub on every corner.Never had skinless fish.at home  Where did you get it?