Boats Far From Home

• 3 weeks later...

Walked along the River Lea today between Rye House and Stanstead Abbotts.  One presumed ex Broads cruiser moored by the bridge at Rye House, couldn't see any old numbering.

At the Stanstead Marina, positively heaving with ex Broads cruisers.

One was call Bahama Major 1 F44-8 I think it read

Another probable Caribbean called Caribbean Adventure, also on the bank at least one other plus another Broads cruiser.

All fairly distant - there was a very smart cruiser - not Broads but rather nice!

The yard was very busy and full!

IMG_20210308_135139_323.jpg

IMG_20210308_142506_719.jpg

IMG_20210308_143055_634.jpg

IMG_20210308_143101_906.jpg

IMG_20210308_143302_603.jpg

IMG_20210308_143352_137.jpg

IMG_20210308_143729_839.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 08/03/2021 at 22:15, DAVIDH said:

Yes, they were the ones with the hulls made from seacrete I believe. Repairs by Polyfilla. 

Windboats 27 ....polyfilla has now been superseded by postcrete , a quicker and smoother finish.....not forgetting the chicken wire of course .

Similarly this Horizon 35 is currently for sale at Portishead Marina (which is on the Severn estuary near Bristol). I saw it there myself a couple of years ago and it was odd to see an ex-Richardsons boat with an unchanged exterior in such a location. It looks like the interior has been chopped about though which I don't think does it any favours.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35ft-widebeam-cruise-boat-/333896404458?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulN said:

I took this picture in 2016 at Leigh Marina, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex which is on the Thames Estuary. I would not have thought this was a suitable boat for the location.

IMG_20160707_173956.jpg

Hideaway is now back on the broads and she was bought up under her own power by sea!

• Like 3

I certainly wouldn't want to take a broads craft with a single engine all the way up to Lowestoft from Leigh-On-Sea and I have a few thousand sea miles under my belt. However we are an Island Race and I would defend anyone's right to put to sea in any craft if they seem competent and accept the risks. No doubt the skipper of Hideaway is such a person.

What would worry me most is the bottom of the fuel tank being agitated in a seaway. Attached is a photo of Leigh foreshore in a bit of a breeze.

Good to know that Hideaway is back where she belongs.

Leigh.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 11:33, PaulN said:

I took this picture in 2016 at Leigh Marina, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex which is on the Thames Estuary. I would not have thought this was a suitable boat for the location.

IMG_20160707_173956.jpg

I walk pass the yard all the time on the way to old leigh, I've never seen an old broads cruiser in there. Guess the wife's right I need a trip to spec savers. But totally agree totally unsuitable for the estuary. 

19 hours ago, LizG said:

This under the tarpaulin isn't a Broads boat but looks intriguing?  Could it be wood?

Seen yesterday on the River Stort navigation by the road bridge in Roydon

IMG_20210309_105724_572.jpg

It is wood, it was partially uncovered a few summers ago (I usually work in Bishops Stortford & travel into London by train a few times a week). The hull is painted white and the topsides are varnished.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Similarly this Horizon 35 is currently for sale at Portishead Marina (which is on the Severn estuary near Bristol). I saw it there myself a couple of years ago and it was odd to see an ex-Richardsons boat with an unchanged exterior in such a location. It looks like the interior has been chopped about though which I don't think does it any favours.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35ft-widebeam-cruise-boat-/333896404458?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I think the artificial turf in the front well look just dandy. 👌

• Like 1

High AndyG

I presume you walk down the access road at the back of the cockle sheds like me, on your way to the Crooked Billet, The Peterboat, The Boathouse or The Smack (we're spoiled for pubs in that 200 yards). The photo is taken from the road, so next time you will no doubt recognise that gate post as you go past.

59 minutes ago, PaulN said:

High AndyG

I presume you walk down the access road at the back of the cockle sheds like me, on your way to the Crooked Billet, The Peterboat, The Boathouse or The Smack (we're spoiled for pubs in that 200 yards). The photo is taken from the road, so next time you will no doubt recognise that gate post as you go past.

Indeed I do, I'm partial to a cheese roll and mug of tea in Osbornes before we start the very short but enjoyable pub crawl 😉