Boats Far From Home

• 4 weeks later...

This is very tongue in cheek, but you can see Christopher Cockerill's brainchild, the hovercraft (invented in Somerleyton?) on the beach at Ryde on the Isle of Wight. The service to Southsea is at 15 minutes past the hour if you want to see it go. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You beat me to it. I think she looks like she might have been a Pinnace. Built by the Admiralty for tender or harbour duties. There were a great many built during the first 40 years of the last century. Sadly not that many survive. They are always coming up as historic restoration projects but you need deep pockets.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The old boat has what is called a cruiser stern, after the naval cruisers of post WW1. She also has two masts with steadying sails, for sea going.

Possibly built by Silver?

Look VERY like this one albeit different paint job

https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/2939/sunstar

or

http://www.classicyachtbrokerage.co.uk/product/new-listing-37ft-borwick-motor-yacht-1927-part-project-lying-warwickshire/

One of the ex Bee's Boats (Victoria Bee) since leaving the broads has been across to Holland down through Belgium and France to the south coast and all the way back.

She has also travelled around a lot of inland waterways in England, such as the Thames, Trent and The Ouse up to York / Ripon etc.

She has recently returned back to the broads.  

• Like 1

DSC00460.thumb.jpg.0c0b740961037bc1315590b3281c12a2.jpg

DSC00459.thumb.jpg.83743a90198870dcf6be6820858e3691.jpg

These two are far from home - about 1200 miles by road and maybe half as much again by water. 

Taken this morning on the Canal du Midi at Argens.

The Horizon 35 used to be called Fleur d'Azur when part of the Beaver Fleet operation in Port Cassafieres in the early 80s. I don't remember any hire fleets having Safari 25s without the sliding canopy in France, but I suppose there must have been.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The Kennet and Avon can accommodate 72ft LOA, 13ft Beam, 3ft 6ins Draught and 7ft 10ins Bridge Clearance so a suitable resting place for tied Broad's tubbies.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One of the Star Supremes has popped up on Ebay, not sure what system she is on but appears not to be the Broads. I suspect she is N°2, latterly called "Gotcha" on the Database.(windows and green antifoul are the clues). I recall seeing her at Waterside, Potter a few years ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jack-Powles-star-supreme-circa-1966-/265208635310?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• Like 1

Not very far away. Collection is Ringstead, which is on The River Nene.  Out via Sutton Bridge, round to Yarmouth. Easy trip in calm weather as long as she is seaworthy and mechanically sound. Looks tidy outside but would needa good poke about.

Screenshot_20210626-224826_eBay.thumb.jpg.6d27098c0d13eef4eb69f5b688226e29.jpg

Tis a lot of boat for the asking price. 

I enjoy seeing any one of the other five Star Supremes, that is numbers two through to six and comparing with number one ('B.A' of course).  Hull exactly the same along with the rubbing strips, cabin side exactly the same apart from the changes we made to R641 being just three windows fwd and two windows aft.  R641 - cabin sides are now about two foot shorter down aft to allow for the well deck area that was never originally there of course

'Gotcha' also has and extra window under the wheelhouse roof aft each side but the same sash sides and folding down arrangement.  She is also a hardtop of course whereas 'B.A' is a soft top.  There was evidence when we got her of also having a hardtop at some point in her early life

'Goodnight Irene' (R644 - Star Supreme 4) currently berthed at Potter Heigham has both a soft and a hard top nowadays

Griff

• Like 4

On 10/03/2021 at 18:02, LizG said:

This under the tarpaulin isn't a Broads boat but looks intriguing?  Could it be wood?

Seen yesterday on the River Stort navigation by the road bridge in Roydon

IMG_20210309_105724_572.jpg

I went over the Stort this morning, couldn't stop but enough time to see it was uncovered and called Kingfisher with London added