Boats Far From Home

2 hours ago, LizG said:

I went over the Stort this morning, couldn't stop but enough time to see it was uncovered and called Kingfisher with London added

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Narrowboat_Kingfisher_moored_on_the_river_Stort_in_Roydon_(2).jpg

I found this link which discusses the wooden superstructure but also read in a discussion forum dated 2007, the hull is also wood.  Fascinating boat even if it wasn't built for the broads

DSC00495.thumb.jpg.33ab691b863bdc36f87ebdb80787e717.jpg

Spotted on the Canal du Midi at Homps this afternoon.

This must be one of the ex Beaver Fleet Fleur du Midi, which were called Flamingo when with Crown Blue Line and was obviously sold, rather than convert her into a Cavalier.

Not a bad job of creating an upper steering position. I have seen a lot worse!

• Like 4

Posted June 26

One of the Star Supremes has popped up on Ebay, not sure what system she is on but appears not to be the Broads. I suspect she is N°2, latterly called "Gotcha" on the Database.(windows and green antifoul are the clues). I recall seeing her at Waterside, Potter a few years ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jack-Powles-star-supreme-circa-1966-/265208635310?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

If this boat was  called Gotcha, I think she was sold at Waterside Potter around first half of 2017. I took a look at her myself but decided not to buy a woody. Seem to remember seeing pictures somewhere of her being loaded onto a transporter when the sale went through.

43 minutes ago, andyg said:

We're they built like this Vaughan are we're they converted...

The boat is one of the early AF 42s with the front seat moulded into the cabin front.

Built in about 1976 by NBY Co on behalf of Richardsons, then owned by Rank.

They were built as a centre cockpit sliding canopy but this one has the canopy fixed permanently with a flybridge added on top. There doesn't appear to be a hatch to give access to the inside, so I suppose you climb up there from the aft deck.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Cal said:

I thought the locks were 10'6" on the Great Ouse!!

They are varying widths. A 12 ft beam would be limited to below St Ives lock to Denver Sluice - a distance of approx 38 miles plus the three tributaries: rivers Wissey, Lark and Little Ouse, a total of about 32 miles. Then there is the river Cam which is about 15 miles.

So probably a total cruising range of 85 miles although the upper reaches of the three tributaries can be quite narrow - I can remember on one of them having not much room either side of the boat for a couple of miles with a 10ft 6ins beam.

18 minutes ago, webntweb said:

They are varying widths. A 12 ft beam would be limited to below St Ives lock to Denver Sluice - a distance of approx 38 miles plus the three tributaries: rivers Wissey, Lark and Little Ouse, a total of about 32 miles. Then there is the river Cam which is about 15 miles.

So probably a total cruising range of 85 miles although the upper reaches of the three tributaries can be quite narrow - I can remember on one of them having not much room either side of the boat for a couple of miles with a 10ft 6ins beam.

Our boat was only 8'2" wide and some of the lock approaches felt narrow :default_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a first: me posting on this thread. Go careful with me.

I've just been watching Motorhoming with Merton & Webster on Channel 5 And caught a glimpse of what the untrained eye may call an ex Broads wooden cruiser. It's at Uphill Marina near Weston Super Mare. Anyone know if I'm close?

Did anyone notice this on Paul Merton' and Suki Webster's Motorhome programme last night featuring Somerset. From what you could see I think it is Uphill Camping and Marina off the River Axe.

Screenshot_20210821-151230_Photos.thumb.jpg.e384771cbf4400d71460dc29998f26ea.jpg

Screenshot_20210821-151210_Photos.thumb.jpg.b9a60c01b4b169dd2173a0fbbd41ceb5.jpg

I feel that I should point out, looking at the photographs again that my collection of "Dazzler" DVDs featuring lots of XXXXXs are in fact:-

20210821_195817.thumb.jpg.a46d07f362476b6f730c9127f8dd39a0.jpg

The Saltire and Paul Murton's "Grand Tours of Scotland" 

14 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I feel that I should point out, looking at the photographs again that my collection of "Dazzler" DVDs featuring lots of XXXXXs are in fact:-

20210821_195817.thumb.jpg.a46d07f362476b6f730c9127f8dd39a0.jpg

The Saltire and Paul Murton's "Grand Tours of Scotland" 

And there was me thinking ...., well along different lines shall we say. :default_icon_e_surprised:

• Haha 1

There is an advert on FB shared on the Classic Wooden Boats FB page of Mistress of Light for sale.

Far from home:

For sale - 42' long, 13' wide, 3' 9" deep 1932 Herbert Woods wooden Broads Crusier, 'Mistress of Light', together with permanent mooring in Limehouse marina, East London (subject to marina owner's approval of buyer and 7.5% transfer fee to .....).

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, floydraser said:

2002261571_Thornhammarina2.thumb.jpg.29d184e1e517d79777a1550cc43064f6.jpg

The cabin side windows have curved corners, which makes it an early boat, perhaps before 1975. I also notice that the moulded engine room vent on the aft cabin side has a large S - for Solar - rather than the later and more common B - for Bounty.

• Like 1