Boats Far From Home

13 hours ago, floydraser said:

Previous to that the boat had been on the Thames for a few years where it must have acquired the name. In wondering how far it may have travelled: at some stage an auto pilot has been fitted! 

Looking at Craigs database it would seem she was called Denham Owl as far back as the 70's....

• Like 1

On 06/06/2019 at 08:57, NorfolkNog said:

Many thanks to Paul (Swancraft) who thinks it could be an ex Anchorcraft 

Looking at Craig's database again that would be Crystal Anchor - Alan Johnson boats at Acle also had one. 

I really do like them, they pack a lot of boat into 32 feet! 

Ah, thanks Howard. I remember it well. The Anchorcraft boats were always turned out well in their distinctive light blue. Even though the boat has always been white since it's been in Bristol I think Paul may well be right as the 32 centre cockpit is so rare relative to the 35. I remember Bridgecraft acquired one of the Forth Bridges from them (possibly others?) but they didn't take Crystal, probably because they already had Tower Bridge. 

So when you hire Tower you must wish it was 3 feet shorter 😊

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Ah, thanks Howard. I remember it well. The Anchorcraft boats were always turned out well in their distinctive light blue. Even though the boat has always been white since it's been in Bristol I think Paul may well be right as the 32 centre cockpit is so rare relative to the 35. I remember Bridgecraft acquired one of the Forth Bridges from them (possibly others?) but they didn't take Crystal, probably because they already had Tower Bridge. 

So when you hire Tower you must wish it was 3 feet shorter 😊

It's this one - last with Line Azzurro

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=7709&BoatHistory=13252

Dan

• Thanks 2

Thanks Dan. So it was on the Boat Database all along, including a photo of the boat with it's current name "Harmony" and it's current livery. 

The photo when the boat was "Kingfisher Elan" takes me back. Kingfisher were a decent operation I think in their days at what's now the Freedom site. Then they became Line Azzurro and everything went downhill very quickly. 

• Like 2

On 04/06/2019 at 12:21, Davydine said:

Just spotted this old Connoisseur on the Hythe at Colchester...

B66E3C11-B60B-4905-BABA-FA205D3CC15D.jpeg

If you put 631W (on her stern in pic) in Craig's Database the listing shown is for 84D.

If you then go to the Listings tab there is no 84D but there is 631W - both listings have the same ownership details, and the same name Marie Luise. 

I wouldn't doubt any of Craig's listings but I am confused as to why it would carry two different registrations with the same name,

• Like 1

I was puzzled by that. A D reg puts it as being first registered here in 1997ish (obviously not new), and a mid W as circa 2014.

It's possible she came and went, then came back and has gone again, of course.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I guess with a mud berth they just set the lines to the 'low tide' length and then leave them?

When I had a mud berth at Ridge Wharf, in those days they supplied both a stern and bow line that ran over a galvanised block/pulley to a heavy weight, this kept the boat alongside the finger berth when floating. Other lines usually springs were as you say set for low tide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I guess with a mud berth they just set the lines to the 'low tide' length and then leave them?

I think the pontoons float so they set the lines to the pontoon and the whole pontoon goes up and down with the tide. I am not certain but I would guess that on the Blackwater, that would be Maylandsea marina.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davydine said:

I think the pontoons float so they set the lines to the pontoon and the whole pontoon goes up and down with the tide. I am not certain but I would guess that on the Blackwater, that would be Maylandsea marina.

Actually ignore that, I looked on Google earth and it is clearly Maldon, in which case they are definitely floating pontoons

1 hour ago, Davydine said:

Actually ignore that, I looked on Google earth and it is clearly Maldon, in which case they are definitely floating pontoons

It was the second picture under discussion and that is a jetty which is not floating. The first picture are floating pontoons.

8 minutes ago, Davydine said:

Just back from a camping weekend in Chertsey, whilst there I had a little paddle on the Thames and saw this boat. I think it may have been Brinks Beryl in a previous life, what do you think?

C1C082A8-44F8-47DC-AC34-71252E2FA8C2.jpeg

57300DDB-6EE4-4CE0-A47D-B9068C6EDB4C.jpeg

9BE41BB3-9CCE-4E56-8A7A-D7434494B127.jpeg

Nice looking boat, shame they don`t look after it.

Had a walk today with my daughter at Portishead Marina, near Bristol. Here are two ex-Richardsons a long way from home. The Elysian is ex-Dominica and Southern Horizon looks completely unchanged, both complete with Broads reg numbers. The lock at the marina leads straight out to sea - I wonder how these boats would handle on the ocean waves? Alternatively, they can make the short trip across to Avonmouth and then down the Avon to Bristol and Bath. 

_20190623_163513.JPG

_20190623_163332.JPG

• Like 4

On 28/05/2019 at 09:52, BroadAmbition said:

I've never seen the owners and not seen it move for a week or so I'll certainly ask them if I see them. 

Leave a note onboard with my contact details?  And do it quick before they lugger off somewhere!

Griff

Was peddling along the tow path in Hackney and they were back! Nobody on board so I left a note with phone numbers asking them to get in touch with me or thee. :default_jumelles:

• Thanks 2