This Is The One That Started It All!

JennyMorgan

Over forty years ago I had a riverside souvenir shop at Burgh St Peter and, inevitably back then, I sold postcards by the thousand. However I didn't sell so many from a company called Salmons. Their 'rep' came knocking one spring, a decent bloke whom it was hard not to like, and I commented that his sunset cards were pretty awful, indeed so bad that I could probably do better myself. 'Well, if you do I will pay you £18.00 per picture' said the rep. This card was my first attempt, £18.00 was not to be sniffed at back in the early 1970's and I went on to sell many thousands of this one image, as well as many more that I took the photograph for.

Funnily enough I was working at Bury St Edmunds Cathedral and in the ever delightful Abbey Gardens one summer and there was an art show in the cloisters which I went to see. On the wall was a painting, an exact copy of my card. I made a great show of photographing his painting and inevitably he complained. I commented that I was copying his painting just as he'd obviously copied my photograph. His response was that his picture was a painting, mine was just a photograph. He changed his tune when I pointed out that he was clearly in breach of copyright!

Oulton Broad Sunset.jpg

• Like 12

Nice tale that Peter, now all we`ve got to do is to see if we can make the calenders a worldwide success?.  A lot of us have taken some really lovely photo`s in our lifetimes, but most of us would`nt know who to talk to to try and sell the picture. 

Great picture ... and what an interesting tale to go with it. Have you thought about writing a book? It sounds as if you have done a real variety of jobs and hobbies over the years Peter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Great picture ... and what an interesting tale to go with it. Have you thought about writing a book? It sounds as if you have done a real variety of jobs and hobbies over the years Peter.

It takes me long enough to write out my C.V. without tackling a book! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Nice tale that Peter, now all we`ve got to do is to see if we can make the calenders a worldwide success?.  A lot of us have taken some really lovely photo`s in our lifetimes, but most of us would`nt know who to talk to to try and sell the picture. 

https://www.writersandartists.co.uk/store/9781472927651/writers-artists-yearbook-2017

• Like 1