EARLY ASTONS

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

One of the Aston Cairn or Lion classes?, though i`m not sure sure which as they were both identical classes with different names. Sorry about the quality, it`s that awful satin finish they tried in the 70s. This was taken in Aughust 75 from Judith 1.

post-1-136713635666_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Paul, well, let`s have a look then?......................................Oh- look what i`ve just found..............It just happens to be one of the Vega class taken in 75 at Norwich yacht station. in

post-1-13671363569_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

The same boat taken from behind......................Don`t take that the wrong way either :lol::lol::lol:. I`ve just checked Craigs database........ N729 was Aston Castor.

post-1-1367136357_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

You did say you like the old Astons Paul?. Well this is the oldest photo i have which was taken on Saturday June 13th 1970 from the Aston Orion. I call it "Astons on parade" as it looks like they`re all standing to attention. Note in the background between the office and shop, the bare hulls for the Thames class, which went into hire the following season. These bare hulls had the superstructure mouldings in "kit" form inside them.

post-1-136713636265_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

You`re welcome ;) . I think my dad may have some more of the 1970 shots in his loft, but not many, so next time we go up there, i`l ask if i can have a look. Regards...................Neil. :wave:wave

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Old Astons from 1970. Lets see?. Aston-Starlight and Sunlight, Seamaster 27s........ Aston-Goose, Gander, Penguin and Pelican Poppy, Primrose and Snowdrop, all Seamaser 28 centre cockpits........ Aston-Cairn, Chow, Bulldog and Boxer, Lion, Tiger, Puma and Panther, all 31ft timber aft cockpits.......... Aston Drake, Elysian 34 hull (i think?) with custom timber top.......... Aston Admiral, Elysian 34.............. Aston-Oak, Elm, Ash and Willow, Aquafibre Bourne/Aston 35s........ Aston Emerald-centre cockpit all varnished timber............. Aston-Vega, Castor, Sirius and Orion, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Mercury. Thames, Mersey, Severn and Trent (i think?), Aquafibre Bourne/Aston 40s with differnt layouts for the 3 classes. Can anybody else remember any others of that year?. Is this a classic case of "should have got out more"? :oops::oops::oops: . Regards to all..................... Neil.

Hi Neil

What great photos!

I found the ones of the Aston Thames class interesting. I've been trying to figure out which one Freedom's "Rambling Freedom" is. The layout narrowed it down to about three I think, though I cant remember their names now. Aston Mersey rings a bell though as a contender, though I could have dreamt that! I think Craig at the Broads Boat Database would be interested in these pictures Neil - got to be worth an email http://www.horning.org.uk/boatsearch.php

Paul, interesting to hear your boat was Aston Florida. I can remember seeing her looking smart from my first Broads holiday in '95. Luckilly I took a photo, which no doubt you have found in Craig's database. Taking a photo always helps me be able to bring back the memory and seeing it as though it was yesterday! Great looking boats,

Dan

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Here`s yet another, but this ones not in the original Aston colours. She`s the Aston Drake, and in her days in the fleet, when we saw her, she had a white hull, with varnished wooden cabin sides, and a light blue top. She later had the trademark light blue hull, and i think a white top. Seen here she`s in private colours and was taken in June 86.

post-1-136713636573_thumb.jpg

I love these old photos - they are just great, thanks for going to all the effort to scan and then post them.

These bare hulls had the superstructure mouldings in "kit" form inside them.

I'm intrigued by this too - was the superstructure in pieces to be put back together then - as in, was it in bits as delivered? I used to love seeing boats in build when we came to the broads as a child (every year!) so the picture of the hulls to be fitted is great to see.

Where were Bourne hulls moulded does anyone know - and was there any link between them and AF, as some of the marques are very similar?

Best wishes,

James.