Guest DAYTONA-BILL

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jill

When was your pic of Herondale taken. I saw her last autumn afloat outside the River Inspectors boathouse in Thorpe and it looked like someone was working on her. Can't upload pic as I still haven't learnt how to reduce the pixies! :)

• 2 weeks later...

While browsing around on ebay I spotted this boat for sale in Windsor. Not an Aston I hear you cry - but look closely in the background of the picture.

Hey presto a Thames class! From the window positioning its either one of the river set or a constellation.

Using the database I've narrowed it to possible Humber, Orion or Castor. Annoyingly a view of the other side would have helped more as the head window in the stern cabin would have been in different places depending on which set it belonged to.

This is really bugging me now - so anyone living around that area I'd really appreciate a little more research. :grin:

post-226-136713729441_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Dolphin, We hired Aston Orion in June 1970 (i had my 12th birthday on the Sunday), and i`m 99.99% sure the boat in the background is one of the Orion class. They were Vega, Castor, Sirius and Orion. The easy way to tell is the window aft of the centre cockpit. The Orion class had the long window aft on the port side, as that was over the galley, and the shorter tapered window was for one of the single bunk cabins. As you say, the Thames class had the aft layout in reverse, and so the longer galley window was immediately aft of the centre cockpit, and the shorter cabin window was aft of that. So the boat in the background is definately the Orion or Castor, as the Vega is still on the Broads, but minus its sliding wheelhouse roof, and Sirius is, or was, moored till recently at Stalham (Broadsedge?) and called Shatz. If the boat in the background IS the Orion, then i`m really pleased, as she was the very first boat i went on, on a Broads holiday, and i`ve always wondered what happened to her. Many thanks for posting the photo. Regards .................... Neil. :clap:clap:clap

It looks like you are right Neil :clap

Having thought about it and checked my records, I saw Caster AKA Callisto on the Broads last summer, so we have found Orion. A shame for me though as Humber was my fav and I though it might be her. All you have to do is take a trip to WIndsor to confirm it! :grin:

Thanks for helping sort the dilemmia

Only another 23 Astons that have 'disappeared' to find!

Charlie

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

A trip to Windsor, i`m sure that can be arranged when SWMBO and i decide on a day out, Windsor sounds quite nice. One question, which marina was it in?. Regards to all ................ Neil.

• 1 month later...

Hi to all.

I have made a start on putting together a website devoted to all aspects of Aston Boats.

The pages are very empty at the moment but hopefully it will not be too long before things improve.

Any suggestions with regard to the site would be much appreciated as would any information regarding the hstory of Aston Boats. Photos of the boats would of course be very much welcomed.

This is not a site created for my own satisfaction but hopefully a place where enthusiasts of the Aston boats can share information.

Url for the Aston Website is:

http://www.astonboatsnorfolk.co.uk

Regards

Arthur

Thanks for the encouragement Andy. Its going to take a bit of time but I hope to be able to do a bit more this weekend.

There should be a complete list of all the Aston Boats on the site shortly and hopefully a few more pictures.

All the best

Arthur

If anyone has any info they would like to contribute to the site or any suggestions of what other topics may be included on the pages then I can be contacted on

arthur@astonboatsnorfolk.co.uk

or there is a contact link on the sites homepage

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

If I remember correctly you own Peter's Joy Ex- Aston Florida if I am not mistaken.

The site does not look much at the moment but I hope to improve things soon. A couple of people have joined the Aston Forum already so hopefully some interesting information might come to light.

All the best

Arthur

Thanks to all who have visited my new Aston Boats website.

Things are gradually beginning to take shape, I just need a few more hours in the day.

Subsequent to setting up the site I have received an email asking if I have any details of the boats that Astons took over from Princess Cruisers, he is particularly interested in Summer Princess which i think was renamed Aston Lion in 1968.

The only information I have is from Craig's database but if anyone has any more info or pictures then please do get in touch.

arthur@astonboatsnorfolk.co.uk

All the best

Arthur http://www.astonboatsnorfolk.co.uk