Irstead Staithe

BrundallNavy

While moored at Gays Staithe I was chatting to a family who had just been asked to move from Irstead.  They had by their own admission over stayed on the 24 hr mooring by 2 hours.

A gentleman approached him and engaged in conversation, after around 5 mins he announced he was the parish Staithe warden and was recording the conversation stating they had over stayed and needed to move stright away.

Please be aware that the area next to the electric post is BA controlled the larger area the other side of the dyke is parish controlled. 

Doug.

• Like 2

Just now, Polly said:

I would be very unhappy with someone announcing five minutes into a conversation that they were recording it!

Unfortunately, in this day and age we are constantly being told that our conversations are being recorded 'for training' purposes etc, or that we are being photographed. I don't like it either but it's becoming the norm. In this case how is the 'ex cop' going to prove who it is that he's having a conversation with, silly old sod? I don't expect that his truncheon is as threatening as it was.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

If people google Irstead Staithe & click on the location map then they will see a photo of a very large notice board saying no launching or retrieval of kayaks etc.. Another picture is of a well known user of 24hr moorings. 

Was he awaiting a prop repair? Still at least there was one extra space at Sutton Staithe for a change.

• Like 4

A quick google brings up a report on another forum of presumably the same homeowner confronting people on Irstead Staithe back in 2007......about Kayaks.

He had obviously clocked the time this particular boat arrived, he most probably clocks the time every boat arrives, and sits there and sits there and sits there just waiting to pounce.......what a sad life he must lead.

But rules is rules 

• Like 5

I would ring the Parish Council and let them know that this has happened. This person is not even a councillor never mind a representative. The council have warned hime before about making claims like this. He also tries to move church goers on from the car park if they dont park correctly - as my parents found out! :norty::Sailing

8 hours ago, Bobdog said:

None.  Pompous ar*e lives in the house beside the staithe.  Ex copper.  Tries it on, but no enforcement powers.  Ask him to prove his right to ask you to move.  Tried to tell me I couldn't launch my kayak there,  It's bo**ocks.

Same one as did the car park in Wroxham ? He reduced the wife to tears on at least one occasion. I used to deliberately take a Roys carrier bag with me to put my goods from the precinct in just to see the look on his face.

• Like 1

I believe the BA 24hr rule enforced by the BA byelaws only apply to BA moorings, or those managed by the BA. The parish council would need it's own byelaws and means of enforcing them. Recently NNDC has signed a short term agreement with the BA for Pyes Mill and BA signage has appeared there which lets the BA enforce the 24hr rule there which was probably far cheaper than NNDC taking its own action against overstayers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

By the sound of it, it would be worth going from the Irstead parish mooring to the BA mooring and back for a couple of days or so, just to wind up the self appointed Harbour Master, perhaps even two boats permanently swapping over. :):):) 

You probably write in jest, MM, but when a prop fails, then I rather suspect that such a tactic is employed!

However, it is up to the parish council to make its own rules and it's up to people using their moorings to respect those rules. If they don't like them then either joint the PCC and change them, or sod off. I am sure that the rules have been made with good intentions, even if none of us agree with them.

• Like 2

A good few years back we had just arrived at Irstead and moored on the outer section (BA) facing upstream and while I was sorting the mooring ropes out I left the engine running, lo and behold a lady came round from the house that adjoins this part of the staithe and told me in no uncertain terms to turn the engine off because the fumes were affecting their BBQ.  I should point out that this was a Summercraft boat with a well maintained engine and you could barely smell the exhaust, I was going to switch off anyway once I was happy with the ropes (I tend to put a Spring on when I moor at Irstead so it did take a bit longer than normal).

On another occasion we were moored on the same part of the staithe on a hot June day and some lads came down swimming just in front of us and using the escape ladder to exit the water and then jumping back in.  On this occasion the same lady came out and took photographs of the lads and our boat, she didn't say anything but obviously thought they were from our boat.

25 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Does Womack have a time restriction?

Don't think so providing you pay the mooring fee, I have never seen any signs saying 24hr Mooring.

• Like 3

PW, Whilst the post was somewhat tongue in cheek, I have to admit that my beef would not be with the parish council, but the self appointed jobsworth who has taken it upon himself to show an unfriendly attitude to the bread and butter providing holiday makers.

His sort can leave a very sour taste in the mouths of those trying to enjoy themselves. As they would say in Essex...

"Two hours overstay? Leave it out!!!"

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

PW, Whilst the post was somewhat tongue in cheek, I have to admit that my beef would not be with the parish council, but the self appointed jobsworth who has taken it upon himself to show an unfriendly attitude to the bread and butter providing holiday makers.

His sort can leave a very sour taste in the mouths of those trying to enjoy themselves. As they would say in Essex...

"Two hours overstay? Leave it out!!!"

Is that where he came from, the bounder?

The self appointed jobsworth sort can also provide endless hours of fun, fun, fun as you photograph them photographing you. Also a good time to perfect one's own ludicrous goose step with extended first finger suitably placed under one's hooter, John Cleese style, know wot I mean, Jon!

Problem comes when the self appointed isn't really self appointed, as is the case at Horsey.

• Like 4

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Is that where he came from, the bounder?

The self appointed jobsworth sort can also provide endless hours of fun, fun, fun as you photograph them photographing you. Also a good time to perfect one's own ludicrous goose step with extended first finger suitably placed under one's hooter, John Cleese style, know wot I mean, Jon!

Problem comes when the self appointed isn't really self appointed, as is the case at Horsey.

Don't mention the war!

• Like 4

Oh I love these types - they sort of just appoint themselves to all sorts of positions. I'd love to plan something where you have a boat moored at the Staithe and in the 26th hour up pops the 'Warden' and comes over to said boat and begins his spiel. At which point 100 people jump out dressed as Pigeons.

What we actually have going on here is a bid for Irstead to gain independence from Norfolk. Either that of if you go and live there you become a bit mentally unstable as it seems to be spreading amongst the residents.

• Like 2

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Completely agree, however, as most would tell you, the chap at Horsey is always as polite a gentleman as one could hope to meet and ever helpful. There's no comparison.

• Like 1