Irstead Staithe

BrundallNavy

Just now, LondonRascal said:

Oh I love these types - they sort of just appoint themselves to all sorts of positions. I'd love to plan something where you have a boat moored at the Staithe and in the 26th hour up pops the 'Warden' and comes over to said boat and begins his spiel. At which point 100 people jump out dressed as Pigeons.

What we actually have going on here is a bid for Irstead to gain independence from Norfolk. Either that of if you go and live there you become a bit mentally unstable as it seems to be spreading amongst the residents.

It's all the incomers what does it! 

• Like 1

"Don't mention the war!"........Why Dave? You started it :naughty:

I think we have encountered the same lady at Irstead, the boys were sitting on the back of the boat with activity books we managed to get for them about wildlife, you know the sort of thing, spotting different birds and creatures etc, me sat with them, giggling with delight when a creature was spotted, was approached and asked to keep the laughter down as it was spoiling her afternoon tea or some such, needless to say, we carried on playing and laughing, hardly a riotous stag or hen party, lord help her if she encounters one of them :facepalm:

Grace

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Gracie said:

"Don't mention the war!"........Why Dave? You started it :naughty:

I think we have encountered the same lady at Irstead, the boys were sitting on the back of the boat with activity books we managed to get for them about wildlife, you know the sort of thing, spotting different birds and creatures etc, me sat with them, giggling with delight when a creature was spotted, was approached and asked to keep the laughter down as it was spoiling her afternoon tea or some such, needless to say, we carried on playing and laughing, hardly a riotous stag or hen party, lord help her if she encounters one of them :facepalm:

Grace

It would be at this point that I would make a point of riffling through the box and ticking an imaginary box while muttering as if to myself - Interfering old biddy, tick, yay

• Like 1

There's always one, I remember on my hen party boat we were mud weighted on Wroxham Broad, tucked away the best we could, sunning ourselves in bikinis and shorts etc, enjoying a glass of wine when a boat chugged past, a lady called across "If you want to dress like that you should be in Ibiza", we simultaneously raised our glasses to her and my friend Lucy called across "Pity you weren't" :naughty:

Grace

• Like 7

Entirely agree MM,

Derek Applegate has worked for the Buxton's on the Horsey estate for, as far as I am aware, most of his life.

He is only doing his job collecting the £5 tolls for mooring at one of the most stunning spots on the Broads, and one of the few where you have the added advantage of being able to walk to the sea.

I have seen first hand some of the abuse that he gets from pond life who want to avoid paying the fee so I am not surprised that sometimes he can appear brusque. He is actually a very nice  proper Norfolk old boy.

• Like 6

Just now, charlesa said:

Entirely agree MM,

Derek Applegate has worked for the Buxton's on the Horsey estate for, as far as I am aware, most of his life.

He is only doing his job collecting the £5 tolls for mooring at one of the most stunning spots on the Broads, and one of the few where you have the added advantage of being able to walk to the sea.

I have seen first hand some of the abuse that he gets from pond life who want to avoid paying the fee so I am not surprised that sometimes he can appear brusque. He is actually a very nice  proper Norfolk old boy.

Agree he's a lovely old bloke, I always stop for a mardle with him when I'm up there, but he'll tell you he's originally from Essex if you ask him.

Ah I wasn't aware of that. I seem to remember him telling me that his sister was killed by a stray piece of shrapnel from a shell that had been ditched by a German bomber at Horsey in WW2 and that he had lost part of his ear in the same incident when he was a small boy.

However I might easily have imagined that after my 6th pint in the Nelson !!

• Like 2

Just now, charlesa said:

Ah I wasn't aware of that. I seem to remember him telling me that his sister was killed by a stray piece of shrapnel from a shell that had been ditched by a German bomber at Horsey in WW2 and that he had lost part of his ear in the same incident when he was a small boy.

Is that why they call him 18 months.....

7 minutes ago, charlesa said:

Yup, he's certainly been in Horsey since childhood.  Sadly I think he's beginning to suffer a bit with some form of dementia, maybe Alzheimer's?  Last time I saw him, about two weeks ago, he was telling me how his wife had died a month or so back.  Problem is, he was telling me that same story last year.  His diction is also becoming less clear.  I can't always understand what he's saying these days, so I smile a lot, agree a lot, and go and buy him a tea from the NT shop.

• Like 1

Im not advocating loud music but there must be some way of subtly messing with the Irstead guy :-p 

You would think better of an ex policeman if he actually is.  

Though I do wonder what he was like if he were a copper, sounds like the sort who would nick his own mother to me. 

Why buy a house next to a tourist spot If you dont like people?

I imagine they are probably the sort who thrives on having summat to moan about and love every minute of doing it. 

• Like 1

my mother in law had a copper move in next door, he put a gate on the communal access with a lock, and it was only after repeated threats of legal action that he removed it (once being told that it would be forcibly removed as it was a right of access to my mother in laws) he even argued that he would give her a key and she could come and unlock it- our reply, what if she has collapsed?

He then went on to build an extension over the access, moving the access further down his garden, he would not agree to have this written up in the title deeds, so there still exists an access through the wall of his extension, and out the other side - his excuse - he had provided an alternative.

A lot of coppers seem to think they know the law - because they are coppers, and even when it is pointed out that they are wrong, some seem to think they can bully their way through life. My Uncle was a copper (ex royal navy MP too) but he was as fair handed as it is possible to be- nicking his own car parked on double yellow lines when his son was borrowing it (then paying the fine himself as his son could not afford to).

• Like 1

Not all of course, but certainly some, coppers have attitude, when I was a teenager haunting the  dance venues of the day if a chap asked me to dance I would know within a couple of minutes if he was a copper they tended to be full of puffed up self importance, very unappealing

Carole

23 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Im not advocating loud music but there must be some way of subtly messing with the Irstead guy :-p 

You would think better of an ex policeman if he actually is.  

Though I do wonder what he was like if he were a copper, sounds like the sort who would nick his own mother to me. 

Why buy a house next to a tourist spot If you dont like people?

I imagine they are probably the sort who thrives on having summat to moan about and love every minute of doing it. 

He sounds the type who  would altogether miss "subtle" I think I'd probably simply tell him to Sod off, which is probably a lot more polite than he would get from my husband who definitely doesn't tolerate jumped up types and is extremely eloquent in  voicing his disapproval of such.

Carole

• Like 2

I have known Jed the ex policeman for nearly forty years and have never had a problem with him in any way. I always found him courtious and pleasant at all times, but there again I don't tend to break many laws. In the past when he was still "in bussiness " we did very occaisionally meet under different cicumstances, but he was a first class village copper (Wroxham & Hoveton).

19 minutes ago, springsong said:

I have known Jed the ex policeman for nearly forty years and have never had a problem with him in any way. I always found him courtious and pleasant at all times, but there again I don't tend to break many laws. In the past when he was still "in bussiness " we did very occaisionally meet under different cicumstances, but he was a first class village copper (Wroxham & Hoveton).

Uh oh, weve been rumbled.....

:Sailing

• Like 1

Mr Obnoxious Twit seems not to be there much these days.  The last half a dozen times i've gone past with groups the house has been empty - as are most along there. Pretty much all second homes, those pensions must be FAR better than mine!

• Like 2