Broadland Wave 2, Er, 2

I've finally done it. After hiring boats on the Broads for 36 years at long last I'm hiring a boat for the second time. Previously and somehow and for no particular reason, every boat I've had has been 'new'. Today though I boarded Broadland Wave 2 for the second time having previously hired in October 2014 and it felt just as good this time round. 

I write this having just enjoyed the very good food at the Bridge Inn, Acle. It's been a long day because my alarm went off at 0445 this morning but it doesn't feel like it. I left home in Cardiff at 0550 and the journey wasn't too bad so I was parking at Tesco Stalham at 1120. Having bought what I needed I was checking in at Richardsons at 1230 and the boat was ready at 1. The handovers at Richardsons are always short - when they hear I've been many times they always seem in a rush to get away. Today was a world record I think, must have been all of 5 minutes from start to finish. I was comfortable with that though and I unpacked everything before setting off at 1345. It was strange to see all the Horizon boats merged in with the Stalham fleet, so Dawn Horizon was next to Amber Gem 2.

The sun was shining as I set off down river. The Ant was quiet. What a lovely time of year to come to the Broads. It's early enough to be before the summer crowds but late enough to be reasonably warm with long daylight hours. I'd long since decided on Acle as my first night spot but with plenty of time I pulled in at How Hill for a coffee stop en route. Although it was quiet there were still a few Richos boats returning to Stalham who thought nothing of firing past me in a big rush. Nevertheless How Hill takes some beating for a pretty spot to take a break. 

I continued and although the weather cooled down my enjoyment level didn't. The Bure was strangely quiet, with plenty of space at St Benets and only a handful of other boats on the move. I arrived at Acle at 1720 and picked a spot in my preferred area well above the bridge.

This was my first chance to take a look at The Broads Boating Company and their associated restaurant. I like the white and blue colour scheme they've chosen for the boats. I'm less sure about the styling of the lettering for their boat names which cheapens the look in my view. The restaurant looked strangely incongruous with its surroundings but maybe that's because I will always think of it as the Horizon workshop. 

The Bridge Inn served me the best Hunters Chicken I've had in a long time. Also I need gluten-free and they have a superb gluten-free menu with plenty of choice. 

Photos to follow. 

• Like 11

Yes indeed Ray, single-handed this time, the same as the last time I had this boat. I considered going south this time which I've never done single-handed before but decided against it because I'm going to the meet at Salhouse on Saturday. 

• Like 3

One thing I was surprised about at BBC was they've given up the left side (as you look from the river) of their basin to private moorings, so they're limited for space in what wasn't a big basin in the first place. Their boats on the right side have to be side-on. 

DSC_0279.JPG

• Like 2

Something happened to me today that last happened on my first ever day on a boat when I was 10 years old - I fell in the water. It happened at Gays Staithe. I came in to moor stern on successfully, not on the main length but on the near end 90 degrees to it. I stepped off fine both roads in hand and quickly decided I needed to pull the boat sideways to the left. Stupidly and without realising, I leaned over the quayside to my left side, lost my balance and in I went. Within a couple of seconds of hitting the water I panicked because although I was wearing a life jacket it didn't feel like it was inflating. I was wearing a biggish coat and with that and my clothing full of water I felt like I had lead weights tied to me. Thankfully the life jacket did, in fact, inflate and also the couple on San Francisco 1 came immediately to my rescue and managed between them to help me back to the quay. I thanked them profusely and they tied my mooring ropes for me while I went to get in to a hot shower as quickly as I could. They even made me a coffee and left it on my aft deck. I was none the worse. They come in handy those life jacket things! 

More to follow, WiFi connection permitting. 

• Like 4

Just goes to show how easy it is, even to someone with as much boating experience as you have.

As long as you are ok, that's the main thing.

I guess it's a reminder why we should always wear life jackets when mooring.

Take care

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing...it's a good reminder that any one of us can end up in the water following a moment's inattention resulting from concentrating on something else, no matter how experienced. Glad that you're okay.

Helen

Enjoying reading your tale Simon and seeing your photos. Glad to hear you're ok after your little dip. Having inflated the buoyancy aid do you have to go back to get a new one? I don't think that any of the yards have told us what we should do if we were to have to use them. 

It was beautiful in the sunshine over the last few days.  And it was our first time afloat in May. It was as you said - longer daylight hours and quite a few boats out but room at most of the moorings. There didn't seem to be many people moving around after about 4 o'clock though. It was also easier to navigate without the fishermen to avoid. 

Have a great weekend - looking forward to hearing about the Meet. 

• Like 2

You're absolutely right Helen. I'm absolutely fine. I just hope I get to stay out of the water for another 35 years. 

I was up at 630 this morning. As I sometimes find on a boat I end up getting up before my alarm because I just can't wait to get going. Today I knew the weather forecast was to be better later so I tried not to rush and made myself a second coffee after breakfast. That didn't last long, I was off at 0845.

I decided to head back to the Ant today because, regularly starting from Stalham, the Ant comes at the beginning and end of the trip and so I wanted to experience an alternative mooch up and down. The weather this morning was damp and miserable but I was loving being on a boat here anyway. I stopped off at Ludham Bridge to visit the stores and in the vain hope the rain might ease whilst I topped up my caffeine levels but I had no such luck. The Ant was quiet ish once more, many mooring spaces at Ludham and later at How Hill when I passed. I arrived at Gays around 12 when the aforementioned incident occurred. I gave myself some recovery time and relaxed with something to eat. I phoned Richardsons to ask them to bring me a replacement life jacket which they did after a modest delay. When the guy I arrived I remembered I hadn't been able to get the TV working this morning. He wasn't an engineer so had to despatch his mate who duely arrived a short time later and replaced the TV without fuss. 

By this time it was 3pm, the weather had improved a little and I eagerly set off on my way. Being at Gays it would have been rude not to have a chug down Limekiln Dyke. I noticed at Neatishead there was only one space left down the dyke. I decided to continue back to Barton Broad where I spotted Bob48 in the distance heading south on Crown Gem 4. I continued all the way to Ludham Bridge where I spotted the common sight of an ex-hire boat that retained it's original name and livery, except this one was unusual because it was Thames Fiesta 3. In an instant I was transported from Wayford Bridge to Fry's Island in Reading.

My boat might squeeze under Wayford if tides were abnormally low but not today so I spun round and headed back south. That house at Hunsett is an atrocity isn't it? As if the tinted windows and hideous black extension thing aren't ugly enough there's some plastic garden furniture outside that looks like it came from Woolworths when they were still trading. How good would it be to see the place restored one day. I was soon back on Barton and I decided, for the first time ever, to try out Woods End Staithe that I'd learned about thanks to Robin's Brinks Omega blog. I always find somewhere on the Broads I've never visited. It's a short but pretty dyke off Barton near the island. Alas, I think additional No Mooring signs have been added since Robin filmed there because every available quay had a sign on it. I spun around in the tight space and returned to Barton. I decided on going for a wild mooring for the night and settled on a beautiful spot just upstream of How Hill. It's one of those spots that isn't vacant very often during the summer, being at right angles to the river, on the left as you head south. There was a discussion on here a while back about a Staithe who's name I've forgotten. Is that where I'm at? I'll post photos. I cooked aboard and then had a wander a short distance down the footpath that leads away from the river. I could have walked further but it became boggy under foot thanks to all the rain. Fun day!  

• Like 9

Thanks for posting the tale of the rest of your day. Glad to hear you spotted Bob48. I know it's not that long since I was last on the Broads but I have withdrawal symptoms and your tales are keeping me going!

Have a good time tomorrow.  Hope the weather improves!

• Like 1

Hope you are ok after your 'swim' Simon, there are easier ways to catch fish you know lol

I think you may well be moored at Johnny Crowes Staithe, a lovely mooring, we were there in October

We've also hired Broadland Wave 2, a smashing little boat, have a lovely time and loving the write up

Grace

• Like 1

Did you have your life jacket  over or under the 'biggish coat' ?  If under, that is a definite ' no no', for a couple of reasons.

Firstly ,most self inflating LJs rely on water activating the inflation mechanism, and any clothing over the top can obviously impede this.

Second, if any waterproof coat or similar is fastened up, the force of the inflation is considerable and can easily exert enough force to fracture ribs or worse !

A foam bouancy aid is of course an entirely different issue.

• Like 4

Ah thanks Grace for reminding me of the name, Johnny Crowes Staithe. 

Poppy, my life jacket was over my coat and thankfully it did actually work very well. Good advice though. 

No I didn't spot the deer this time, I'll have a look in the morning. 

• Like 3

Yep you're at Johnny Crowes Staithe. (Or were)  Which is known for being a terrible mooring.  hardly any water depth, rubbish fishing, poor bank, Boggy walks, noisy, smelly too.   Did I mention that I own the sole mooring rights at Johnny Crowes Staithe?  it is therefore a private mooring and no one afloat should ever stop there if Broad Ambition is due alongside.  :roll:

Griff

• Like 9