Head Filling With Water

Wildfuzz

On my little vessel we have a Johnson Pump Aqua T marine sea toilet, whilst not advocated on the Broads as it does no go to a holding tanks so is used in dire emergencies only. Whilst out this weekend I noticed that the pan is filling from the bottom of the bowl even when pumped dry, short of turning the sea cocks off what ever I try this keeps happening. It is fairly new and hardly used so there must be a valve failed somewhere.

It is similar to all the other types Jabasco etc. so can anyone point me in the direction of where to start. I am thinking for the time and money I may as well just fir a new pump assembly rather that strip and replace gaskets and o rings etc., but if it is a simple fix please advise.

S.

IB-412-1_Toilet_Manual.pdf

Ours does this and so did the one on Zoe, OK as long as it stops at the external water line???:shocked 

How did you get a license for her? I thought only old sailies had permission for these loos; and yes I agree, for use only in direst emergency!

I was going to answer the title of the thread, with take your head out of the water then,

the manual mentions a non return valve, so I would look there, it also mentions a anti siphon vent that should stop all of the water in the bowl siphoning away, so it seems like there should be some, maybe with the anti siphon valve, the water left in that half of the pipe returns to the bowl.

38 minutes ago, Polly said:

Ours does this and so did the one on Zoe, OK as long as it stops at the external water line???:shocked 

How did you get a license for her? I thought only old sailies had permission for these loos; and yes I agree, for use only in direst emergency!

Was fitted from manufacture although have replaced it with a like for like a couple of years ago. The boat was imported by Barnes Brink Craft and has sailed through the BSC both times. I guess as long as I keep the sea cocks closed it passes inspection.

35 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

It's probably lime scale on one of the seal causing it to not seal correctly. Put some vinegar through it or mild bleach.

Doug.

Will bleach damage the seals? Also would have to have it lifted so the waste doesn`t go into the rivers. Nothing is ever simple is it!!!!!!

Hi Stuart

Bleach will damage the seals and could, as you say,  get into the system. I do a warm water and Ecover washing up liquid flush on leaving Brilliant to condition the seals. Olive oil flushed right through might soften them too.

Hi Stuart, 

More than likely it is back filling, the choker valve is usually the culprit,

The pump assembly virtually the same as Jabasco, it might be better to fit a complete Jabasco pump assembly (they include a new choker valve) the new ones are complete with a lock down handle. 

http://www.brianwards.co.uk/toilets/pumps-spares/jabsco-toilet-service-kit-2008-onwards.html

http://www.brianwards.co.uk/toilets/pumps-spares/jabsco-twist-n-lock-toilet-pump-ass-y.html

We tend to service both of our toilets each year before the season start.

During the season if the pump becomes tight we undo the top and put a tea spoon full of oil (sunflower or vegetable) down the piston wall.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Regarding seals on toilets I was having a word with a engineer last week when we were on the canals, towards the later part of the week we were getting a smell from the toilets (these were electric with macerators) when flushing. It turns out they were using the green option of fluid rather than the blue loo, it would appear that using blue loo damages the seals, sadly the green option fluid does not cut the mustard. 

Regarding any toilet cleaner, these should not be used in case of a reaction in the toilet tank, worse case scenario is a gas produced.

There was the usual notice on the toilets nothing to be put down the toilet unless eaten, they also mentioned bottle caps and razor blades, I ask you!

Regards

Alan  

• Like 2

Don't buy a new pump, you just need a seal kit.

You can take off the outlet pipe at the back of the toilet with 4 screws and you will find a flapper valve in 4 quadrants, which opens when the toilet is pumped and then closes. The valve gets "furred up" with a calcium sediment, a bit like in a kettle. If it is not too bad it can be cleaned and re-fitted. Almost all of these valves will stop making a seal after a while, it is just that yours must be below the water level outside, so water will constantly leak back. A remedy is to fit a longer outlet pipe which goes up in a "swan neck" above the waterline and then back to the outlet skin fitting.

• Like 4

I thought an anti syphon was to stop water being syphoned in to the toilet and flooding the boat rather than it being syphoned out from the toilet?! 

If you do go down the road of fitting a holding tank go for the biggest tank you have space for otherwise you will be forever getting it pumped out!  I fitted one to another boat we once had years ago and within a week wished I had gone for a much larger tank! 

I read the title Stuart and I'm afraid the thoughts went a bit like this...

'get the Mrs to take her foot of it then...married two weeks and she's trying to drown him, head full of water, huh he's lucky he should see what's lurking behind these varifocals'...:naughty:

• Like 2

There is no respect for the law nowadays........cheers

Anyways, kit fitted to pump, took it out and did this at home in the workshop, for those who have never tried it is a really simple job. Hopefully tonight get it refitted then start on the horn, I did think about a two tone, but Broads beat would miss it off their craft methinks..........

• Like 7

There's always something needing "seeing to" on a boat. Hot gossip was due to be antifouled this year having not been out for at least 2 years. possibly more. Usually Tony does this himself but this year being plagued with back problems decided to  let Sheerline do it for him.He asked them  to check the sacrificial anode on the rudder.. They reported that it had totally disappeared! So she came out none too soon. We'll pick her up and cruise her back to Brundall Bay some time next week.

Carole

• Like 1