Rascal's Learning to Drive

Thanks everyone for their kind words.

I thought I had inadvertently selected some otherwise hidden setting on my Sat Nav today, it would not stop reminding me of things - speed limit changes, bends and even seemed to have some preference to what radio station was tuned into on the stereo. I then realised it was the passenger.

What exactly happens to women when they get in a car? Shiela has never uttered a word when on a boat, a train or a bus but the moment I get a car and she is a passenger then I am merely there it seems to listen and obey her instructions as if I am the one pressing peddles and moving the steering but she wants to be in control.

Anyway, we had a trip out to Sheringham today - and thankfully I was not the one who had their car written off by crashing into a Steam Train at a level crossing.  Lovely place though, with a large real Iron Mongers full of useful things and very knowledgeable staff. Had lunch and then headed back to Brundall. Later we headed out for some more practice at night along to Yarmouth and back taking in the 'Acle Straight'.  This was okay going, but on our return twice people took such risks overtaking others (oncoming) which was a bit too close for comfort. Yeah, I know it happens all the time but being 'fresh out of school' the real learning has begun.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

A couple of years ago now a similar scenario arose whenever I was driving, my MrsG in what seemed like overnight had morphed into a driving examiner and a NagNav combined.  I just couldn't cope with it.  But what to do?  I found the answer.  Having left home bound for Stalham on our regular journey we had only gone a few miles and the NagNav kicked in.  Once on the A1 way before turning off at Newark so we had only done about 15 of the 160 miles, I pulled into a laybay, got out of the car, walked round to the passenger door, instructed Mrs G to get out which she did.  I then got in the passenger seat, shut the door belted up and told her to drive, wake me up when we got to Stalham and keep note of how many 'Directives' I gave her during the journey.  She was far from happy but it cured her of the NagNav.  On the odd occasion she feels the need to regress I just slow down and ask if she would like to drive? - Sorted

You can't do this with Sheila as she doesn't drive, but when she goes into NagNav mode you could suggest she is 'Relagated' to the Barges boot for the remainder of the journey!

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

Ok, I freely admit to doing this too.  I also use the imaginary passenger side brake when i feel we should be braking sooner! 

My Sara does that too. I tell her to get her foot off the brake. After many years of marriage it does tend to turn into background noise.

• Like 1

Driving a car, Being married. Both need a license, now you know why.

I am a lousy passenger too, I am another one who "brakes" on behalf of the driver, though only once did it get me into trouble. In a friends 'company car' he, his wife and I were going to a pub. He was driving. As we approached a junction, I braked. Almost immediately I was asked to be the back seat passenger. He was a driving instructor, and the car had duel controls.

• Haha 8

Being a NagNav I would offers ain't a sexist thing, male or female alike are equally capable of it.

Being on the receiving end of it - if you are driving, concentrating and also trying to enjoy the journey - It ain't nice.

Anyroadup, in our particular situation it is now cured and sorted.

As for helming the boat - I wish, MrsG rarely takes the helm, I wish she would do more of it

Griff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband is the worst back seat driver ever! I refuse to drive with him as a passenger as it is positively dangerous! The down side of  this is that I don't get to drive as often as I should, but in all honesty driving isn't half as enjoyable these days as it once was anyway, so I don't feel I'm missing out on much.

Carole

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Just as on the boat, we share the driving when we're out and about. None of this sexist nonsense in our house! :default_eusa_dance:

Same here. When we share the driving when journeying up to Norfolk, whoever is passenger usually drops off to sleep anyway so I guess we must be pretty comfortable with each others driving. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

. . . . . .  whoever is passenger usually drops off to sleep anyway so I guess we must be pretty comfortable with each others driving. 

Not sure if I would say I'm comfortable with 'er indoors driving, but at least if my eyes are closed I can't see what she's doing!!😁😁😯

• Haha 3

Robin, re. the Acle straight: Back in the day it was a challenge to drop a tanner in the juke box at the Stracey Arms and get to the Acle roundabout and back before the disc finished. You were allowed to have your bike running and held upright outside the door for a good getaway! (I was was told)

• Like 1

Okay so here is a question for you experienced lot..How do you reverse bay park?

I was taught the '90 degree' method. I got good at this, you arrive in the middle of the 'road' pass by two and a half (ish) cars and reverse back turning as you do into the bay.  This was fine in a small car, but in 'The Barge' this is not at all easy in most car parks - there is not enough room as you back in and turn to get the rear heading towards the bay the front swing out means I would whack a car on the opposite side of the bays because of the cars length.

I have seen people do what I believe is called the '45 degree' where they drive past just so their rear end is roughly where the bay they want to back in is, but drive forward at an angle to it, then reverse in. This I have no real idea about as was never taught this.

The thing is it is becoming the least enjoyable part of driving - getting to where you need to be and then getting in a flap about parking. I had two no name fan heaters pack up within days of each other so today headed to Argos in Norwich - when I arrived people were queuing just to get into the car park let alone find a space - net result I headed off  elsewhere and never did get a replacement heater.

I reverse park into a tight corner most days so cant get the nose into a gap, so I do it in 2 shots, one to get the car positioned, the secomd to get it lined up in the middle of the space, now you have passed your test there is no dishonour in taking 2 bites to get into a space - especially with a big car. 45 degrees and get your back corner roughly on the front corner of the space gets you close if thats all you want, either that or (shock horror) find a space you can drive in forwards and through to the space in front.

• Like 1

I think I do upyour 45 method. Drive close to the side of the empty slot, at the right time turn away from the slot leaving the rear of the car positions so that I can then reverse in turning the wheel to line it up. When lined up reverse in. I always use the mirrors rather than lean over and look out of the back window. As Peter said if you need to drive out of the slot to line it up more centrally do so and reverse back in.

• Like 1

I too use the mirrors to line everything up, as a lot of my early driving was with a transit parcel van - no rear view with looking, it was necessity, this van was also a full space wide (being a foot wider than a standard transit), 

besides as a bmw driver shouldnt you be positioning yourself along the white line between 2 spaces?

• Haha 3

Hi Robin it’s not you it’s the size of the car, I used a couple of big motors  generally 4x 4s but realised after constant hospital visits with parents get something smaller.  The  7 series is huge, the 5 series is too big for town/ multi story parking. Now have had quite a few 3 series tourings perfect easy to handle fuel efficient etc. (Other makes are available) 😀

John