Rascal's Learning to Drive

Today was Mock Test day and a bit of a change, since the vehicle I would be used would be different to the one I had been learning in, a larger, newer Audi A3 S-Line (I've been learning in an Audi A1). Also the test would be given by a senior instructor to be more independent and as realistic as possible.

Having got used to the car, I found it much the same as a boat - going larger is better and easier to control. It was far more planted, especially on the fast country road section, and at speed on the dual carriageway sat squarely in the lane - the smaller A1 gets thrown about more by cross winds and is far less forgiving over uneven road surfaces.

I drove to the test centre having a chat along the way which was nice, as it took away the slight nerves I had. We then proceeded on a real test route which took us right away out on the duel carriageway. We then turned off and did country roads, then some built up driving before I had to perform a forward bay park, and then an added emergency stop for good measure. Back to the test centre and the results were given...A pass.

Not only was it a pass Lisa, the Instructor giving the test had to laugh because the only minor she could possible give was on the duel carriageway I was keeping a 3 second gap between the cars - you should aim for nothing less than 2 but only go over 4 seconds on wet days etc. However, as I checked my mirror and blind spot to overtake a car, this reduced to 2 seconds - not at all bad, not an issue but to an Examiner he might very well give a minor for such and so she did to.

Her husband and her own the driving school, Chilled and in her time doing these tests and generally instructing said she never met such a confident new driver who handled everything really calmly and safely and she felt very relaxed being driven by. So big up the Rascal eh? But the thing is this is just a mock, the real thing could throw up something stupid that could cause a fail so I am not counting my chickens yet and the fat lady has not sung, but let's just say it is all looking to be going to plan. I have some driving this weekend in the Fens lined up and an added two hour lesson squeezed in the day before my test to keep me refreshed and on top form.

MockTestResult.thumb.png.2ba38f58cd675c4e11e0aa0a3c28e4bf.png

• Like 11

I took my motorbike test in Febuary, it was a glorious sunny day, but half way round the battery froze and all the lights failed, I carried on as the engine was still running and seamlessly transferred from indicators to hand signals, the examiner pulled me up on this, so I explained that as it was a 6 volt system the indicators werent that bright and as it was a sunny day I would continue to reinforce the indicators with hand signals, as I wasnt certain that the indicators would be seen. I passed - then en route home the bike broke down when the two stroke mix waxed up in the carburettor as it was so cold.

• Like 3

I failed first time too, was really miffed when Graham passed first time as he was far less confident a driver when he took his test than I had been when I took mine. I failed on going too near parked vehicles and not looking into my rear view mirror, which I didn’t think had been the case. Second time I made sure I moved my head slightly when checking the mirror!  

• Like 1

Today I was due to do a little driving with Simon, and originally that was going to be in his Rav-4 around the wide open roads of the Cambridgeshire Fens until I came up with the idea that I drive my car, the car I have been keeping at their house, taxing, servicing and insuring without having been able to drive, to Brundall.

And so there was a quick dash to sort the paper work out - tax was running out 1st October, MOT too (booked in for the day after my test) and the insurance needed renewing too. DVLA website was a breeze to use and another 6 months tax put on, next up Compare the Market then Money Supermarket, then Direct Line - you get the idea - shopping about I found XS Direct Motor Insurance came in the cheapest, £764.79. Expensive, but at the other end of the scale, this is for a BMW 730LD and with me, not even a full license holder yet.

We were all set to go, damn it! L Plates would not stick on as they are magnetic and the BMW has a bunch of weight saving aluminum panels. I gaffer taped one on the rear bumper and we set off. First stop Halfrords for some more L Plates and a visit to the local car wash. I was pleased with how things were going, forward bay park at Halfords perfect but then my Mum needed the toilet, off to Tesco it was - tighter, fuller car park, decided for a reverse bay park - got it right on between the lines. Then I had time to contemplate the journey and the nerves began to creep in. A47, single carriageway, duel carriageway, roundabouts, unfamiliar roads...

We left and after a tense half hour I relaxed and Simon was commenting on how smooth and well I was driving. He is undertaking ADI training currently hoping to become a driving institutor himself with the AA so was able to practice some questions and get a fee for how may be for him in the future as an Instructor.

Well we did have two issues on our drive. Firstly at a roundabout where I had to go straight on, I forgot to indicate as I left the roundabout - the car in front did not, neither did the one behind and as Simon said in a BMW the indicators are usually disconnected anyway. The next issue was judging the width of the barge and the nearside touched the rubble strip as we pulled off the carriageway on the slip road approaching a roundabout.

I was so pleased to have done such a long drive, in varied traffic in a new car to me but felt confident and noticed how so much of what I have been taught has now 'stuck'. But it not just what I was taught it is things I have picked up, like being ready and then moving over as cars joined the duel carriage and planing ahead.

Tomorrow they drive back without me, but I have a refresher lesson on Tuesday and an hour before my test on Wednesday so I am as prepared as I can be and if anything is going to fail me I think it will be a result of something that happens to me not what I cause. I therefore hope for a good route, and some sensible fellow drivers around me come the day.

The Barge and Boat...

image1.thumb.jpeg.e4e38408b3af7b0b634b8838250233a7.jpeg

• Like 8

The placement of the L plate on the windscreen would more than likely make the car fail an MOT test and therefore I believe is in the wrong position. For an MOT the windscreen is tested in two sections. Zone A is in the swept area of the windscreen and is 290mm wide and centred on the centre of the steering wheel. In zone A any damage or sticker or other obstruction bigger than 10mm in diameter would lead to a fail. In the rest of the swept area outside of Zone A any damage, sticker or other obstruction greater than 40mm in diameter would be a fail. Looking at the placement of the L plate I would suggest that an area greater than 40mm within the swept area is being obstructed. Off course for an MOT you would simply remove the L plate and it would pass, but the requirements of an MOT are that you keep the vehicle in the same road worthy condition where possible.

The bonnet looks too flat, so personally I would try and fix it to the bumper, just below the headlight, just to the side of the number plate.

Hopefully it's a very short academic discussion anyway and you have no need for the plates after Wednesday.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

• Like 1

The L placement - I did not expect this to cause the issue it has, clear choice I had. Have one on the front where it was or not have one at all.

The magnetic one I had got was no good, as the car is aluminum and the bumper plastic. I tried to stick it on the bumper but it caused havoc with the forward parking sonar beeping all the time. So quick thinking it was off to Halfords and they had two choices - magnetic and window cling.  Problem is the window cling is for the interior - I tried it on the lower right of the windscreen to approximately where it 'should' go - this restricted my view too much just above and to the right of the instrument cluster 'hump' so we opted for the nearside.  I've got some nice stick on P plates ready to go after Wednesday, that will give people something to smile about on the back of a Beemer

The other problem with the car is it makes no difference audibly with engine noise, or with any sense of handling difference between say 35MPH and 70MPH. It is therefore incredibly easy to go over the speed limit, not helped that key speeds like 30MPH are not shown on the speedo, you just get a 'dash'. There is also no digital speedo like I have got used to on the Audi.  I know in time experience with a car will lead you to have an automatic sense for what speed you are doing, and also other road users around you help, but with a smaller less powerful car when you are on a duel carriageway and you can hear the road roar more and engine is revving higher it feels faster automatically, compared to a hushed near silence in this car.

Should I do well come Wednesday the next thing will be to put in for a manual test - since I have been learning in an Auto, but the test routes will be fresh in my mind and I won't have any pressure to pass - I can keep trying. Once that is done I want to get learning HGV's as I think I have found a bit of a love of learning and driving already.

One note on the P plates Robin ... someone I know used these after passing his test. But he soon took them off because he found that everyone still treated him like a learner not like a competent driver. In other words they would try to overtake him, race him away from traffic lights and generally expect him to do something stupid and showed their impatience around him. That's just one view but it did make me wonder whether they are as good an idea as they sound.

How would you feel if you saw a newly qualified doctor or dentist and they had a P plate on their consulting room? Or your child is taught by a teacher fresh out of training and they have a P plate on the classroom door? You might not trust them the way that you should.

Once you've passed, you've passed!

my thoughts on a P plate - great, another person just passed their test, if them mess up in front of me, then I will be a bit more forgiving than I would someone without, same as I would for a learner, yes I will give them more space, a bit more time to be aware of me. after all we all were learners / newly passed once.

in the same way I will now drop back to let a lorry move into my lane if he indicates, he is busy working, me generally I am not, I am travelling to or from work, I have allowed plenty of time, so that I wont be late, so I can be generous. 

• Like 4

I have not found anyone 'trying it on' if that is the correct expression when I have been either driving in the branded learner car, or with the L plates on. This could be because of the part of the country I have so far driven in - not a big metropolitan area and generally Norfolk folk are more laid back. I think the other difference is if you are hesitating, going too slow on fast roads or being timid then you are going to cause people to get frustrated around you regardless of if you have just passed, still learning or are generally a slower less confident driver. So why the P Plates?

I guess my reasoning is because I have the excuse to fall back on should something happen I can feel some kind of 'shield' by wearing them. Silly? Probably, yes. But then I feel the same way when I am cycling and have some decent lights and an High Vis of course it does not protect me form the idiot there always is on the roads, but at the same time it makes me feel a little more comfortable, and for me that is all that matters.

I totally approve of P plates. I insisted my daughter had them on her car for the first few months.   I remember my first trip after passing, very nerve wracking especially doing a hill start with a police car behind me!   If I see P plates , im always cautious and give plenty of space etc. They've passed their test, but they are not experienced. 

word of warning on magnetic plates - they ruined my daughter's car paintwork 

• Like 1

To a degree I’m the same when riding the mighty Tiger. To be seen is to be safer. Having said that there are still some drivers look straight through me. The Tiger is big, lights always on, bright paint and helmet but I sometimes think I have a so secret cloaking device makes me n Tiger invisible 

Griff

6 hours ago, SwanR said:

One note on the P plates Robin ... someone I know used these after passing his test. But he soon took them off because he found that everyone still treated him like a learner not like a competent driver. In other words they would try to overtake him, race him away from traffic lights and generally expect him to do something stupid and showed their impatience around him. That's just one view but it did make me wonder whether they are as good an idea as they sound.

How would you feel if you saw a newly qualified doctor or dentist and they had a P plate on their consulting room? Or your child is taught by a teacher fresh out of training and they have a P plate on the classroom door? You might not trust them the way that you should.

Once you've passed, you've passed!

I'm not sure that analogy really works. In the UK it takes around 10 years to train as a GP and around 14 years to train as a surgeon. Once they are qualified, they are truly ready to practice medicine and have had years of on the job training with other qualified doctors.

I would argue that once you pass your driving test you need a good couple of years to become a truly proficient and confident driver. In some places like Ireland newly qualified drivers are required by law to use probationary plates, or "R" restricted plates in Ireland.