Rascal's Learning to Drive

Just a little update to things.

I've taken the decision to pause the lessons for the time being while I sort out getting a new Instructor and also put some money back into the pot to fund it.  But there was some good news today.

About 10 days ago I booked in for my Theory Test and during this time have done absolutely no revision or taken any practice tests online other than those I had done some time in the past and had done well on. 

I arrived at the centre for 8:00am and along with about 20 other people had to sign in, show our provisional licences and empty out our pockets, take off watches etc and then wait to be called forward to our booth where we would sit at a computer and take the test.

As you can see from the photo, I have passed - and am happy with my score considering I had not taken time to practice and learn things - a young woman failed and was very upset because she had bought books and spent money on things and still did not get to the standard. It does come down to some common sense, but general awareness especially in the Hazard Perception is needed. So, just have until 2019 to pass a practical test now before it expires.

Test Certificate.jpg

• Like 9

Andy, there is nothing really wrong with the Instructor I have been using, but I don't feel there has been enough feedback to me during our lessons.

There does not seem to be any formal plan of action from one lesson to the next - so it feels a bit 'wishy washy' when things are pulled from the bag to begin the lesson and we go on from there. You can't really see what you've covered and how far you've come and what needs to be gone over or tacked next if that makes sense. 

If I do things correctly there is little praise, even if there had been an improvement on an area from one lesson to the next or I might be told that doing something was ok to pass the test, however there will always be the 'but' that follows.

If I am paying close on £30.00 an hour I'd prefer it to be spent on someone I feel more happy with and can feel progress is being made and perhaps have some plan - last week we did junctions and and maneuvers, this lesson lets concentrate on roundabouts and duel carriageways - as an example.

To be honest Robin, the instructors will introduce something new when they feel you are happy with the last thing you learnt, sometimes it depends on your location at the current point as to what they can teach you (imagine trying to do a hill start in Norfolfk- first find a hill.....). the real importance is just driving, to the point all of the motions become second nature (but not to the point where bad habits creep in). 

They will want you comfortable on roundabouts before they try to get you to a dual carriageway etc etc.

But like you say it would be nice to get some feedback during the lesson. being comfortable with the instructor is important, feeling that they will give honest and valuable feedback.

Yep I understand. There are alot of instructors who are not to the standard us examiners expect. You need to be taught to drive not just to learn to pass the test. If I was closer I would teach you as I have said b4. Without cost. Because of all the great blogs and knowledge you have shared on your travels. I would teach you as a thank you. I'm in Hertfordshire.
You need structured lessons and to be taught taking your ability into account. And praise is important too, for confidence and progress.
A robotic instructor is not what you need. As I said, any questions no matter how silly just ask me.
And well done again for passing your theory.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 4

It normally takes around 40 hours to get to the standard to pass the test. But it is all on ability and how quick you pick up on things.
I some advice I will give you.
Always check your mirrors whatever. And observations. Make sure you observations are good. Mirrors -- obs and judgment are so important. I can always tell you a good structure to work.on if you want. I wish I could take u on a lesson and see how far you have come.

• Like 2

I yell you what Robin. Do u have your own car? I'd quite happy come and meet you and take you for a drive. If so let me know and I can private message you with my mbl and we could meet. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I wish you well in your search for your licence, no doubt you'll get it.....then the stress will begin:8_laughing:

Boating and driving are worlds apart, just make sure your soon to be road rage doesn't morph into river rage and ruin your blogs!!

• Like 1

I've PMed you Andy..

But yes I agree it will 'come to me' there has already been glimmers of this, for example getting used to the clutch and not thinking about it anymore, or automatically checking mirrors and around me not having to think before hand, but I don't feel confident to head off alone sort of thing.

Also there is issue that I want to learn more, put in for the test (hopefully pass) then head out on the road independently not take long gaps between so I am going to put aside some more money and deal with this in, what I hope will be a single shot. I don't want to rush I have after all copes all these years without a car lol

• 7 months later...

It has been some time since I last updated this thread! But having got on top of things so far as Independence goes and the other usual challenges of life, it is time once more to turn my attention to getting my driving licence. Next weekend I begin a new set of lessons, this time I have chosen to give RED Driving School a go.

My stepdad Simon has also made a career change - from London Bus Driver he is going to be training to become a Driving Instructor - and in the mean time a community bus driver for the local area so if all else fails and I turn into a numpty who just cannot 'learn' I will be calling him up for some free tuition lol.

I'll update as to how things go, but so far the impression is good. Online booking and payment was seamless and have had a call from my Instructor already to introduce themselves. I feel more passionate about this now and my first wish is to conquer the Great Cambridge Roundabout on the A10. It makes the NDR ones in Norwich look so tame lol

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

is that the one with a mini roundabout at each of the 6 entrances?

First one I encountered of those was at Carpenters Farrm on the A12 in 70's, the one at Grinstead on old Clacton road in Colchesters 90's origin catches a lot of foreign students out at Essex Uni .