Rascal's Learning to Drive

It comes with experience and practice Robin, just like stern mooring a boat! I have to admit that the all round cameras are very useful on the Qashqai for being able to see the positioning of the car to the space and everything around you. When it's busy like that there's no chance of finding that nice easy space miles from the entrance to the shops but you can drive in and reverse straight out with nothing around you!

Your best option while you're gaining confidence might be to ensure that you get to the shops just as they open or at other far less busy times of day. You'll feel more relaxed about the whole thing when you feel less under pressure because of traffic all around you. And as the others said, just like when mooring a boat, back in, pull forward, change the angle, back in again ... and repeat as many times as you need to.

19 hours ago, stumpy said:

Robin, re. the Acle straight: Back in the day it was a challenge to drop a tanner in the juke box at the Stracey Arms and get to the Acle roundabout and back before the disc finished. You were allowed to have your bike running and held upright outside the door for a good getaway! (I was was told)

I recall that juke box - oh the good old days.

As for the Nagnav comments -  strange there is a reoccurring theme throughout,  the penny will drop that one day we as passengers are not in control and it can be very daunting on occasions when to slow down would be a better option, speed limits are there for a reason.   My foot brake is often applied.  We have in our house a list of ready to use excuses for every occasion.    One such excuse is - I am keeping up with the traffic.

It is entirely logical that a passenger will be pensive. He/she is not in control but is aware of the situation. the passenger cannot read the mind of the driver (BMW drivers excepted, they're easy :default_gbxhmm::default_hiding:) and doesn't know what the driver has seen or not seen.

Drivers forget the massive amount of trust passengers put in them. It is no exaggeration to point out that they have entrusted their lives to the driver.

Whenever somebody gets into the passenger seat of my car, I think to my self..."You have quite literally put your life in my hands. I am totally responsible for your wellbeing, your family's future and the happiness of all who know and love you. Oh boy, ain't you a pratt."

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Whenever somebody gets into the passenger seat of my car, I think to my self..."You have quite literally put your life in my hands. I am totally responsible for your wellbeing, your family's future and the happiness of all who know and love you. Oh boy, ain't you a pratt."

actually you drive a Volvo, so when I get in your car as a passenger, I am putting my trust in Volvo Engineering and safety :default_biggrin:

12 minutes ago, grendel said:

you can make something Idiot proof, but that doesnt allow for the fact that you will get a more idiotic idiot than you designed for.

Quality Idiots can be difficult to find if you don't know where to look, but then again, almost anything will be difficult to find if you don't know where to look for it. One thing is certain, when you are looking for something, it will invariably be in the last place you look. Unless of course, you are an idiot.

• Haha 2

If one needs quality idiots often bordering on the moronic types.  I find it better to start with the larger conurbations.

Manchester, Bradford and Blackpool come to mind as a better class of idiot. Some parts of Essex are good hunting grounds too

Quite by chance this video popped up in my feed on Facebook today - I had to share it here.  It is from 1963 and features an in car camera from London to Bath - in a Jaaag.  Note the style of the driver, how sure footed he is, yet some of the judgments he makes are not the best and the great example is the first few minutes in when he flashes and then gets on the horn at someone who dares be in the Jaaag lane on the Motorway ...

I parked in the car park in Tesco today in Stalham - did great, then did the same in Richardson's - got back to Brundall and complete cock-up but I am okay with that, each time I feel a bit more happy and sure than the previous. Funny thing is you spend more in fuel and shopping - when you only have two hands and a train ticket you limit what you can get.

• Like 2

Love this thread...Robin, you are a genius in getting us all to engage. Have loved your learning to drive thread, you have a knack of showing a bit of vulnerability alongside your pride in trying to do ‘what’s right’ that is very encouraging.

• Thanks 1

On 15/11/2018 at 22:12, BroadAmbition said:

At last! - Well chuffed for him.  Now just needs to do the 'Proper' test with a manual G/box then he really will be flying.  Then get him pillioned (Careful) on the Mighty Tiger and see how he fancies that

Get to work on him Griff my gaffer under prssure to sell his Mighty Tiger, Nice grey/green  colour they really look the part with three proper boxes on the rear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Siddy said:

Get to work on him Griff my gaffer under prssure to sell his Mighty Tiger, Nice grey/green  colour they really look the part with three proper boxes on the rear.

It is a nice bike to learn on before moving up to a real bike :default_smiley-angelic002:

7 hours ago, Hylander said:

Hmm!!  I bet the driver in the clip above is a joy to live with.    Bit of a pompous p.att.     He does love his trafficater  (is there such a word).   Think the guy in the red car needs breathalysing.

I have read somewhere that the film was made by a member of IAM(Institue of Avanced Motoring) and that the red car(Vitesse?)scenes and the one that got flashed/honked at were set up.......happy to be proven wrong though:)

7 hours ago, vanessan said:

With regard to the flashing and horn blasting, how would you (anyone can answer this!) let the driver in the way know that you wanted to overtake him? 

The Highway Code states:

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

And goes on to say:

Drivers should only honk their horn when their car is moving or they need to warn others of their presence. ... The Highway Code also states drivers must not sound their horn aggressively, while stationary on the road or when driving in a built-up area between 11.30pm and 7am.

So technically you'd be within the law to flash a car to allow it to 'know you are there' and also that to use the horn to 'warn others of your presence'.  That said, I think it would be pretty poor to go about the roads coming up behind someone and flashing them and using your horn because you will likely just cause the car in front to make a move whereby they feel intimidated and under pressure and that might not be what you expect causing more of a risk.

• Like 1

Maybe the video predates December 22nd 1965. If so and his Mk2 was fitted with the smallest engine derivative a 2.4 litre it would have been capable of 100mph or 125mph with the largest 3.8 litre. Given that these speeds coming at you from behind were not somthing drivers had seen in the passed, I think letting a slow moving vehicle in the overtaking lane know you are coming is OK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

The Highway Code states:

And goes on to say:

So technically you'd be within the law to flash a car to allow it to 'know you are there' and also that to use the horn to 'warn others of your presence'.  That said, I think it would be pretty poor to go about the roads coming up behind someone and flashing them and using your horn because you will likely just cause the car in front to make a move whereby they feel intimidated and under pressure and that might not be what you expect causing more of a risk.

On the other hand if the driver of the first car used their mirrors and showed lane discipline sadly something all to often missing these days it wouldn`t be necessary, even Blues and twos are not enough for some drivers.

Fred

• Like 1

Robin,

You have fallen into the well known Heffalump trap of applying todays rules to yesterdays situation. You are totally correct in what the Highway code says now, but what did the 1963 version say?  Yes, quite possibly the same, but not necessarily so. Over the years that booklet changes which is why every driver should purchase one each time there is a new addition. (I wonder how many drivers actually do that though.) 

Most drivers know pretty much what the code advised when they passed their tests and to be honest that usually suffices but what it said before that can be a very grey area.

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Over the years that booklet changes which is why every driver should purchase one each time there is a new addition. (I wonder how many drivers actually do that though.) 

:default_icon_wave: I do. But then I am reassessed and tested every year :default_biggrin: