Boat Umbrella / Bimini

Wildfuzz

I have found in the summer (when we do get a hot one) being on a white GRP boat can be at times uncomfortable with the canopy down. Especially when cruising for several hours. I toyed with having the canopy redesigned so it can be used as a bimini but the cost and hassle involved precluded this. So I have just ordered one of these, designed for boat decks it has a large rubber foot and four tie down straps and a tilting head, it should be ideal and will double up as a fishing brolly to. Easy to store and use as and when required. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

When we get a hot summer and I mean a scorcher Fiona insists we just cruise with the top in place and sides rolled up. Flexibility built in 1953 woodie style. Only issue is you end up with a trucker tan I.e. Left arm only ...

your Brolley idea would work well on the bank but we use a full sun sail thing we attach to the boat and lounge about under. The German word for it is a Sonnensegel It works against rain too. 

• Like 1

We never take the full canopy off, luckily the front part (over the helm) comes off then we roll the sides and back up, fresh air and sun with a sheltered bit to hid under for shade.

Stuart are you still doing your other hobbies, now you have a new boss, if so you maybe interested in this.

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/crafts/timber-kits/timberkits-double-bass-player-educational-timber-wood-automation-kit

paul

22 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

We never take the full canopy off, luckily the front part (over the helm) comes off then we roll the sides and back up, fresh air and sun with a sheltered bit to hid under for shade.

Stuart are you still doing your other hobbies, now you have a new boss, if so you maybe interested in this.

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/crafts/timber-kits/timberkits-double-bass-player-educational-timber-wood-automation-kit

paul

That's very cool, may have to give him a try....... well spotted.

Received today, seems very well made, the canopy is very heavy duty material, the aluminum shaft is good thick tubing and the rubber foot is very soft and flexible so should protect the deck.       Now where is the sun!!!

• Like 2

We had a brolly type sun shade on our first boat (quicksilver 540) on one memorable trip through Barton broad my wife shouts out look over there there's a canopy just like ours floating upside down in the middle of the broad that's a coincidence!

Needless to say when I turned round I noticed our was missing,

one of the many little things I never let her forget but wouldn't change her for the world.

John

• Like 4

When we get a hot summer and I mean a scorcher Fiona insists we just cruise with the top in place and sides rolled up. Flexibility built in 1953 woodie style.

We do much the same, only it sides slid down and top rolled into place.  And yes much flexibility in our Woodies

Griff

So do I, however there have been a few memorable occasions when rolling the top back for the day would have left us burnt to a wrinkly. We all know on a scorcher of a day how the sunshine reflects off the water and gets you from every which way 

Griff

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

So do I, however there have been a few memorable occasions when rolling the top back for the day would have left us burnt to a wrinkly. We all know on a scorcher of a day how the sunshine reflects off the water and gets you from every which way 

Griff

I got sunburnt feet last year, most painful!