Maiden Voyage On Moonlight Shadow

42 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

I can't remember the name but is that the one further up from the swan near the bend in the road? We did walk up there but unfortunately it was closed with a big sign that I can't remember if it said reopening soon with new management or after refurbishment.

Or have my beer senses failed me :facepalm:

It is called the Angel, as you say up the road from the Swan.

Regards

Alan

18 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

It is called the Angel, as you say up the road from the Swan.

Regards

Alan

That's the one Alan, yes it was closed.

Love the tale. Very amusing how Evening Shadow kept popping up unexpectedly. Glad it wasn't me helming at Yarmouth, I'd probably have panicked and made a mess of things. Sounds like you handled the situation in an exemplary fashion. We'll done!

19 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Love the tale. Very amusing how Evening Shadow kept popping up unexpectedly. Glad it wasn't me helming at Yarmouth, I'd probably have panicked and made a mess of things. Sounds like you handled the situation in an exemplary fashion. We'll done!

Just now, BroadAmbition said:

Great write up, Tks for sharing

Griff

Thank you I'm glad you are enjoying it

I certainly do enjoy building up the miles on the water and thanks for your lovely comments.

Day 6

A lie in till 8 o'clock and a leisurely breakfast whilst filling with water meant a later start to our cruising. Heading out of the Richardson's yard we took the river back out to Barton in an unexpected flotilla of strangers, both hirers and private.

Out on the broad there was a number of yachts enjoying the lovely sun and breeze a number ended up joining us down the river ant which meant a very slow and steady journey allowing us to take in the surroundings and birdsong, and whatismore there was a free mooring at Irstead, having only just set off however forced myself to carry on.

Out onto the Bure we took a right and headed towards Horning. The river was fairly busy but quite 'well behaved' shall we say.

All the moorings were predictably taken but that just gave us the chance to once again admire the properties as we passed through.

Next destination, Salhouse. We took one of the last moorings in time for dinner. The weather was scorching hot so the walk through the woodland past the campsite to the car park provided a welcome cooling break once we had finished our dinner.

Once again though the other half needed a shopping fix so we didn't hang around and headed for Wroxham. An uneventful journey past more riverside properties ended outside the Hotel Wroxham. £10 charge 9-4 or 4-9 overnight if I'm not mistaken.

The guy mooring up insisted we move right up to the neighbouring hire boat despite my face telling him I felt we were close enough to be able to sit on their settee already.

Heading into Wroxham I was the martyr once again and took the dogs and sat outside the kings head with a pint whilst the rest contributed to the Norfolk economy. 

Whilst sitting outside the pub I opened up the Barnes Brinkcraft webcam and witnessed to my horror 2 more boats being moored up beside me to fill the basin outside the Hotel. The term you couldn't fit a rizla paper between them has never been more apt. Funny how you notice these things more with your own boat.

Once shopping had been done we enjoyed another (I know) evening sampling the beers in Wroxham. Our youngest had an evening off cooking duties electing to try the Mcdonalds from inside Roy's, before we had a Kens v Greys chippy tea. 

I'm not sure who is generally regarded as the best but on our visit it was voted that Ken's were to be awarded our own prestigious award.

Day 7

Having previously decided to take the boat back on Friday in order to allow Brooms as much time to sort out the issues on the boat before the next owners took over on the Saturday we set off a little after 6:30 ready for the Yarmouth slack passage at 11:50ish.

I know a few people have recommended to people to try an early morning start on the broads in order to witness it's beauty and this was never moreso true as this Friday morning.

Not the best but just to show how beautiful the morning Bure was whilst underway at 6:30 I have (hopefully) attached a few pictures.

We enjoyed the long winding run down the Bure even the stretch past the Stracey Arms was enjoyable this morning.

Passing the Yacht Station we received and returned a wave from the rangers and after negotiating the bridges headed over Breydon straight into a fierce breeze which slowed us down.

Travelling up the Yare we reached the boatyard around 8 hours 50 minutes after we had set off, and I thought how rubbish I'd have felt travelling that long by car and yet on the boat could have carried on quite happily.

After fuelling up we moored and wash the boat and you guessed it, headed off for an enjoyable evening in The Yare.

Can't wait for August already...

20170602_073548.jpg

20170602_070757.jpg

20170602_073236.jpg

Hello Jayfire,

Great pictures and reports to match. I take it that you are now fully committed to syndicate boating.

Breakdowns or faults can be an issue for syndicates but then again it can be the same for hire companies on popular boats. I take it from your reports that you had an issue with the bow thruster, sadly it happens, by the look of all your pictures you did not have to rely on the heating, again a common issue.

Not too long until August, we have to wait until September unless I have to fit in some training for new owners.

Regards

Alan

Regards

Alan

Absolutely love the syndicate boat Alan.

The faults were not the issue to us it was, other factors, shall we say. The bow thrusters didn't matter we could and did still enjoy our week without those.

August can't come quick enough for me, I hope you enjoy your time in september.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Just now, Jayfire said:

Absolutely love the syndicate boat Alan.

The faults were not the issue to us it was, other factors, shall we say. The bow thrusters didn't matter we could and did still enjoy our week without those.

August can't come quick enough for me, I hope you enjoy your time in september.

I have yet to meet any syndicate owner who wished they had bought into a boat years ago, as you get older and have more time available then some do buy their own boat, but for anyone still working, limited holidays, or a range holiday destinations are required then boat or syndicate share is the preferred route for many Broads and Canal users.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Jayfire 

This has been a great read.

You've painted a brilliant picture of your time afloat and the photos added to the enjoyment.

It looks like Syndicate ownership really suits you.

As for your opening line, you had nothing to to worry about.

cheersbar

• Like 1

I have yet to meet any syndicate owner who wished they had bought into a boat years ago, as you get older and have more time available then some do buy their own boat, but for anyone still working, limited holidays, or a range holiday destinations are required then boat or syndicate share is the preferred route for many Broads and Canal users.
Regards
Alan

We definitely made the right choice for us and I'm glad you convinced me a few months back to have another think about syndicate ownership.

If I meet you out and about in future I owe you a pint

cheers

Hi Jayfire 
This has been a great read.
You've painted a brilliant picture of your time afloat and the photos added to the enjoyment.
It looks like Syndicate ownership really suits you.
As for your opening line, you had nothing to to worry about.
cheersbar

Thanks very much that's very kind of you, I'm glad you enjoyed it

The biggest adavantage for us in having a share in Thunder is still allows us to do other things both in terms of time and £!

If we had to pay £1500 to hire for a week we would certainly not be going once a year let alone our current 2 weeks a year :-)

• Like 1

The biggest adavantage for us in having a share in Thunder is still allows us to do other things both in terms of time and £!
If we had to pay £1500 to hire for a week we would certainly not be going once a year let alone our current 2 weeks a year :-)

Absolutely Matt. We had years of paying £1500-2000 for one week in August.

And what that also does is force you to try and fit everything into your short period on the boat. You can't therefore enjoy the cruise or overstay at one place longer as you need to move on to get to the next place you want to go.

Unlike having our boat share where if we don't fit something In, well we'll do it next time. When hiring, that next time would be a year away.