Richardsons Hirefleet 60's - Can you Help plz ??

Broadlander3

I am in the process of updating my records of the Richardson's fleet during the 60's but through time I have lost some of the info I had and the grey cells on memory are not quite what they used to be so...

Is there anyone out there that had any experience of Hiring or possibly photographing any of the following boats that were in the fleet from the early 60's (Eastick's) or mid 60's (Neatishead Boatyard). What I need are their respective reg Nos...

'Mandarin' class - Forward drive 2 berth ex Easticks Acle formerly known as 'Vega' before renaming...I have one 'B343' ...the other two sadly not...

'Flamingo' - 'Tweedledee' - 'White Rabbit' and 'Whiting' - all aft well 2 berth's ex Neatishead Boatyard and finally...

'Glenway' a centre wheelhouse 33' 5 berth also ex Neatishead Boatyard formerly known as 'Alice in Wonderland'...

Any info would be most appreciated...I realise that I may be asking a lot but some-one may have something...

Thanks in anticipation...

Best Regards

Terry :Stinky

Hi Terry

Just having a look through my photos.

I think this is one of the ones you are looking for although taken in April 1950 it may still have been at Neatishead as I don'tthink Richardson's had moved from Oulton, had they ? and of course she is painted black which does not help as the reg number has flaired out. I cannot make it out, perhaps you can, anyway I am pretty sure it is White Rabbit, what do you think ?

Incidently as you may well all know this is the old Anchor pub moorings at Coltishall a really great place to moor and the pub in the back ground was ok as well.

post-133-136713642999_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for that Barry...

A lovely shot...and one of my all-time favourite mooring spots...were there only last Sept (virtually same place as your pic)...

Unfortunately like you I cannnot make out the Reg either but for some strange reason (and I have mentioned this to Clive) A969 is whirring round in my head for this particular boat 'White Rabbit'...I'm 99.9% sure the number started and finished with a 9 but for the life of me am not so sure of the middle No. The annoying thing is that I used to know all these by heart when I worked there... :?

Anyway thanks for your sterling effort...1950 :o ...Maybe another one in your box ?? ;)

Just love these old shots of yours...

All the Best

Terry

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Barry and Terry, i just thought you might like to see this picture taken in 88 at the very same spot as Barry`s picture above. It shows how things have changed, but not by a lot. Note the flat building in the background. Also Kingfisher was a Maffett Cruiser, and they also had a boat called Mandarin, and another called Flamingo (the sister ship to their Swallow which is still in their fleet), which i thought is a little coincidental. Regards...Neil.

post-1-136713643304_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Jonny, Yes, in fact a DC30 hull, with a custom timber top. I believe there were about four made by Bounty boats in about 69ish, but not 100% sure. I know there`s another called Goodall gal, which i last heard was moored somewhere in or near Stalham, and Kingfisher is now in private ownership and based in Beccles near Jimbo`s boat. I think there were another two which went to Swan craft, one being Swan Regina and the other Swan Regent (i think), but again i`m not 100% sure. I saw a real beauty of a DC30 for sale last year jonny, and she was up for £16,450, but i could`nt afford it :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry . Regards................Neil.

Firstly Neil

Yes The Anchor moorings were maybe our favourite mooring on the north rivers, we seldom even went down to the Sun, although we used to go up to the mill occaisionally, as for DC 30s at the risk of alienating Jonny and your goodself completely I have to say they are actually my least favourite of all Broads boats it is a good job we are all different eh. That is not to say of course that that the Maffet cruisers were not very comfortable and well turned out. I shall now quit that subject while I am ahead, just. :shocked

Terry

I have found another one although I have no idea what it is, the picture is not very good so if you cannot see what it is I can look the origonal out and have a play with it.

post-133-136713643325_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Fear not Barry, We all have different likes and dislikes and opinions. It`s just that yours are completely and utterly WRONG. :lol::lol::lol::lol: . No, seriously though, we`d be living in a very boring and dull environment if we all liked and disliked the same things. Different opinions etc encourage debate which often brings improvement to many things in life. I also think it`s good to try something different, or take part in an activity or the like, that you would`nt normally take part in, which often ends up being very enjoyable. Tastes change throught life, and i`m no exception, as i`ve no doubt you are too. Years ago, i always wanted to hire the latest most modern Broads cruisers and was always going full throttle to try and cruise as many miles as possible in a week, but now i appreciate classic and wooden boats for their shear beauty and grace while under way, and am quite happy plodding along, or just sitting beside a peacefull river. It`s just a shame Clive Richardson won`t restore one of their old timber boats from decades gone by, to put in the hire fleet for all to enjoy. Shame on you Clive :norty::norty::norty::lol::lol::lol: . Regards to all..............Neil..

Hi Niel

i have pointed out a few of ex Richo's boats out to Clive when i come across them while searching boat sales. i did spot a very nice one that had shed loads of work done i think the owner was only asking 15k in the end it got withdrawn.

http://www.horning.org.uk/boatimage.php?photo=w57_16677&style=Crus-Z&menu=main

there were some stunning cruisers built by richo's & i think this is one of them.

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Barry...she is indeed 'Gryphon' although at the time of your picture would still have been called 'Oyster'...the name she ran under whilst still owned by the Neatishead Boatyard...another lovely shot by the way...

I can't remember exactly, but from the time of your pic to the time of Mr R purchasing her she underwent a refit...Moving the toilet compartment to the rear cabin (to enable larger windows to be fitted to the topsides and removal of one berth in the process) very dark inside apparently with light only coming in via 3 very small portholes...hence she then became a 3 berth instead of the original 4...and I believe was the time her change of name also...

Now whether she was converted by Neatishead or after arrival at Stalham I'm not sure...Will have to dig deeper :?

Once again...Thanks for taking the time to look these out for me... cheersbar

Regards...Terry

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Neil, i`m sure i can remember seeing a boat like that in the Hoseasons catalogue in the 70s & 80s called "Islander", which was a 5-7 berth, though i`m not 100%, but it`s pretty close. I can`t remember which yard it came from though. Regards.............Neil.