Castable Fish Finder

That's how I've always fished, but there have been times like with any angler that I'll sit for hours without a bite wondering what could be down there waiting. I've never wanted to fit a fishfinder to the boat but thought a portable one might be a handy thing to have aboard and to try out on the slow days. Branden

I tried a similar device once. I found that, on most of the Broads, there was not enough depth for the thing to work effectively. The blurb for this does not mention a minimum depth needed! I would stress that most of the spots I tried it were on nice quiet "fishy" moorings and didn't try it in the middle of the Yare for instance!

• Like 1

Aaarrgghh !!

More technology ! twoguns

What happened to all the mystery in fishing ? One day somebody will invent a fishing rod that  selects the rig of the month, baits itself up with a smelly boilie,  finds the fish, casts   itself,  strikes and lands the fish without the carp dude even having to wake up. Maybe It could be programmed to suffer the occasional break off  to try to inject  a bit of realism.

It will sell by the million, as everybody will have to have 3 matching camoflage rods of course. Close your eyes and picture the scene on your local  puddle .

• Like 1

We can't all fish like this forever 6097966098_f48d149e9f_b.thumb.jpg.eea799bb8a74de027784b070ca22af37.jpg

I do agree though about the mystery of fishing, it's the reason why I don't lake fish. The problem I have is that when I take friends out with day licenses to fish off the boat and they don't catch a thing, they don't bother coming out anymore. If a device could help increase the chances of them catching something they'd be more inclined to come along and actually pay for an annual license.

Branden

• Like 2

I had one of these types for fly fishing on big reservoirs - rubbish- the actual area they cover is very small and the signal response was patchy, compared to the fish finder on the boat which even in 3-4` will still detect fish it was hopeless. I have a garmin fitted on my boat now and its a great asset, more for finding structure,  but the bleeps do wake me up whenever we pass a shoal.

• Like 1

Handy to know, I did wonder how they compared to proper fitted fish finders. I think I won't bother with a fish finder as don't really want one fitted to the boat was hoping to just have a portable one fairly cheaply.

Thanks for the reply Fuzz