1 hour ago, lakesailor said:

Windermere marina village apartments and cottages are now under redevelopment at present with some of old apartments having been demolished and new under construction at present

Apologies to the OP for the digression but this is the kind of thing that seems to happen with redevelopment; WMV has been redeveloped a lot over the years, especially since their major flooding (2009?). As hinted earlier (the poo thing), they were so shodily built it won't take much to bring them down!

The fact it floods does:nt matter, they only have to build the floor level about a meter above the normal, or should that be average, flood level. 

As for the pub itself, Gordon blue it ain't, but what it does do is provide good honest reasonably priced pub food. Karen and I always eat in there when on Lightning, and to have a regular menu is no bad thing, as you can always choose from the ever changing specials board. We love the place, and will very disappointed if it does close for yet more unnecessary housing. 

• Like 4

Back home now so able to check

The new Broads plan issued in May 2019 as a specific policy for dealing with Public Houses

SSPUBS it can be found on page 209 of the document which is on the BA website

It seeks to protect virtually all the broads pubs including The Yare being to turned into homes or other commercial use 

It states " Public houses will be protected in their Public house use as key parts of community visitor and boating facilities as well as for their individual contribution to such facilities"

Indeed here in Kent an application to turn a pub into house as been refused this week on the basis of the loss of a community asset

Ray

• Thanks 2

Don't think there is much danger surrounding the Yare especially as we know its no longer part of the Empire - that's been a BA policy for some time. More concerned about the goings on over the fence - they have to keep a boatyard but doesn't say how big, or whether its just moorings!!

• Like 3

Back home now so able to check
The new Broads plan issued in May 2019 as a specific policy for dealing with Public Houses
SSPUBS it can be found on page 209 of the document which is on the BA website
It seeks to protect virtually all the broads pubs including The Yare being to turned into homes or other commercial use 
It states " Public houses will be protected in their Public house use as key parts of community visitor and boating facilities as well as for their individual contribution to such facilities"
Indeed here in Kent an application to turn a pub into house as been refused this week on the basis of the loss of a community asset
Ray

That happened a couple of years ago to the Queens Head Burgh Castle. So he kept the pub and built four houses in the car park.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  • Like 1

Under  the Local Plan

They would have to prove the pub was not viable and that they had marketed it for sale at a commercial value for a minimum of year and prove it

also the community asset would be considered

As the Local plan and it is the only one that I have seen that does names the pubs  specifically it would be very difficult

The local planning authority down here tore the viability statement appart for the application locally

and that is nowhere near an asset he broads pubs are. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boatingman said:

" Public houses will be protected in their Public house use as key parts of community visitor and boating facilities as well as for their individual contribution to such facilities"

I wonder if that means one could build a few apartments, a gym, sauna, and a new "pub" using the same name? Still a pub with the same community value. The above doesn't seem to mention the originality or architectural significance of the building itself.

At various times I have read opinions that suggest there another pub on the Yare where the owner has desperately been trying to get a change to residential use unsuccessfully, some might suggest this is why the place appears to be a tad on the "scruffy" side! I hasten to add that this is not the one by Breydon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VetChugger said:

At various times I have read opinions that suggest there another pub on the Yare where the owner has desperately been trying to get a change to residential use unsuccessfully, some might suggest this is why the place appears to be a tad on the "scruffy" side! I hasten to add that this is not the one by Breydon.

The Beauchamp Arms, perhaps.  When we went past a couple of weeks ago , the sign was missing and it looked even more uninviting than ever.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

Totally agree with you Howard

it could be a really good pub with some positive management

Ray

And a coat of paint!  To me, it's the most uninviting looking pub on the broads.  I've been past it many times and never been tempted to moor there.  The Ferry House at Surlingham on the other hand, draws you in and once there, you are rewarded with a warm welcome, good beer and great food and not only frequented by the passing boaters, the car park gets full too.

• Like 5

Sometimes the community can be to blame for pubs struggling, looking tired in need of a coat of paint, or simply shutting down. I know of a couple in the sticks in Suffolk that closed down and when someone wanted to turn it into a dwelling, the community were up in arms. Trouble is some of these same people never visited the pub to support it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, marshman said:

There used to be a connection between the Berney Arms, the Beauchamp Arms and Surlingham Ferry - does it still exist or has he sold bits on???

Yes, Alan's right. Hollocks had the lease of the Ferry and sub let it which was illegal. I think Derek and Sue? leased from him before Sonia. It was a dreadful mess. He also has the Berney and Beauchamp and allegedly an interest in a yard in Loddon and the ill fated Golden Galleon (very allegedly) 

As I say, dogs and mangers. Rather let something deteriorate rather than giving someone a chance to make a go of it. 

• Like 1