Whos been Off Shore ?

After a Weekend at Sunny Hunny and watching so many off shore powerboats / Bayliners / Jetskis.

It looked fun but..... THeres not much to see :( It cost £50 to lauch and recover this was done for you using a tractor.

But after a few times up and down the costline at WOT they came back in.

Has anyone else been out to sea ?

I love the sea mate adventure on every crest of a wave 8) May I suggest Brancaster where a trip doesn't necessarily mean going round in circles in the sea as you can land on the beach safely and in shelter. Very nice!

Mainly the north Norfolk coast mate, its very unprotected especially with a northerly wind. The only anchorages are tidal and after Blakney there is nowhere to go until Yarmouth :shock:

• 3 weeks later...

I went down from Yarmouth to Lowestoft on a friend's boat. It pretty boring really. It might have been a bit more fun on our own boat but she's nowhere near that quick and what little interest there was was generated by the speed (30kts) at which we were travelling. Our one trip to sea this year on Silver Dream would have been for the Lowestoft Air Festival but sadly the weather did not permit and we only made it as far as the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk. Still, at least we made it off the Broads.

Looking forward to our first trip out next year, have done so much in preperation though I hope it is worth it.

Taken dayskipper, theory at least.

fixed the VHF,

bought Flares,

bought Tender to double as emergency liferaft,

Bought admiralty chart

Bought GPS

still to buy

hand bearing compass,

horseshoe life bouy, (yes know should have one anyway)

Almanac

Engine Spares

this is just the basics too so I am told, when someone said that boating was an expensive hobby my perception of expensive didn't quite measure up to reality.

Still got a couple of 3lt petrol engines to feed once I get out there as well.

Ian

Not done the Norfolk coats or the Wash for a while, we had a bit of a pootle down to the Orwell and Walton backwaters this summer in company with another forumite. Despite the slightly lumpy trip down and not having a return window for over a mont we all had a great time and a sea smoother than Breydon for the return journey. :D

Question for Perry or David, as your return from the summer voyage was deleyed by the weather I assume that you incured lots of mooring fees, do they continue to charge you at the overnight rate in that situation or are reduced prices given, also if not too nosey what are the fee's like around that part of the world?

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

hi antares

not beeing a sea going type may be ive used the wrong term but all i can remember is that we needed higher

water to get through the enterance into the mooring in grimsby we also had the same problem when we cruised down

to hull from nottingham and had to tie up to the entrance to the fish docks and wait. that must have been about 17/18 years ago. the sight of the ships in the ancorage near bull fort was awsome to a river lubber like me and i was just glad the tide was too low for them to move.

jill

we were in a lovely wooden rampart of a friends at the time and becky my daughter slept through the lot.

in the end we tied to the water tower wall, under instruction from the harbour master. the tower sucked us in to the wall and nearly holed us on a piece of old

metal sticking out of the wall, luckily the metal hit a metal vent on the hull. the owner shot down below and hit the scotch bottle.

jill

• 1 month later...

I don't think that my Seamaster 813 would do very well offshore. It will do about 8 knots when pushed and if the tidal flows are anything like they are where I live, a day's cruise could turn into a long drift, under power, in the wrong direction!

Steve