Whos been Off Shore ?

I don't disagree with you about the flappy blanket things. I clearly remember going on a long sail-assisted drift with the tide in a pal's Dockerell 22, down the coast of East Kent. The boat only had 2 short bilge keels and tacked like a pig. The only way we could get back was to drop the salis, hoist the "iron tops'l" and motor back to port. This was a salutary experience that I wouldn't want to repeat.

Steve

Well I often read the MBM group cruise reports. A number of the boats which join those are only capable of 6-8kts and some of these have joined them on cruises to the continent and the channel islands. Crossing the channel at 6kts might take some time but it's obviously do-able.

We use to go out from Yarmouth rod fishing in a 12 foot dingy with a seagull motor as far as a mile off shore.

Just had to make sure the sea conditions were in our favour.

Like anything with the sea or water, you just have to respect it and not take chances !