Evening Star - Refit

Hi Everyone,

I have started this topic as a pictorial diary for anyone who is interested.

Evening Star is our Aquafibre 38 Lowliner, previously Herbert Woods Twilight 2.

We purchased ES in April 2009. This refit has always been our goal, and so when choosing our boat it was more important to obtain a craft in good exterior condition with a layout we liked. fortunately the interior of ES in particularly the woodwork is in great shape. We have spent last season really getting to know her and ironing out a few inevitable issues.

The colour scheme of the soft furnishings is pretty hidious, predominantly Grey and Blue and although clean, functional, and tear free it really is time for a change.

This refit is going to be soft furnishings only, Head linings, curtains, carpets, sofa foams and coverings, matress foams and coverings, and wall coverings (where carpets have been used). Additionally we are removing a glass fronted storage cabinet in the saloon and replacing with a second sofa that will also double as a single birth, bringing the sleeping capacity to 9. Other than that the actual layout is remaining unchanged.

I am going to carry out any contruction work myself but we have been lucky enough to secure the services of Brian Taylor of Herbert Woods to do the rest.

The first major job is going to be the replacement of the entire head lining (currently grey!) and the replacement existing strip flourescent lighting with halogen low voltage downlighters throuout.

It is looking more likely that most of the windows will have to be removed to do this ! Oh My God !!

We did make the journey up to Potter Heigham this weekend but the weather was so cold that we really did not get much done at all. I did manage to remove the internal stairs from the saloon to the deck and have today rubbed down, re varnished them and re treaded the steps with the same covering used for the topside of skateboards !

cheers!

Andy & Sally

post-750-136713645066_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713645313_thumb.jpg

This is going to be an interesting thread :clap

We did a similar amount of refitting in our first boat, and I guarantee you'll have a huge sense of satisfaction afterwards :grin:

I do wonder whether this thread would be better placed in the "restoration area" part of the forum, as it'll be a lot easier to keep track of. If you have no objections, I'll move it over.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Andy, Have you noticed in this section the number of pages on most of the other resto treads?. It means you`ll have to start taking lots of before and after photo`s to keep us other forumites well informed, and in some cases, dare i say, envious?, as well as a lot of typing giving very descriptive info on things such as how much of a pain it was to remove, how awkward it was to get in here or there etc etc. You`ve got your work cut out now, but we will apprciate it. Good luck and keep us up to date. Regards.............Neil. :wave:wave:wave:wave

Well here goes then!

Since taking ownership of ES early last year we have already made a few changes and they are listed here.

Firstly, as can be seen in the two photographs, we have upgraded the kitchen worktop and basin / drainer. Removed the original stainless steel basin drainer and complete worktop and replaced with beach effect worktop and round basin with separate matching round drainer. Forset type mixer tap has been fitted with a useful extending hose that allows easy cleanup and rinsing down. Additionally I have made a ground finish stainless steel splashback for the hob, I have access to a guilotine and folding press so this was fairly straight forward. Finished the job off with beach effect melamine paneling to the rest of the surrounding wall area and a set of brushed stainless steel cupboard door knobs.

Andy.

post-750-136713645335_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713645342_thumb.jpg

Next on the list - The Instrument panel.

This was right up my street as I work in the electronics industry.

The original panel was well "rough around the edges" so to speak, with instuments that did not match and an oil pressure gauge that needed a good thump to get any sort of reading! After taking a good look at the wiring loom behind the panel I decided that a complete replacement was in order.

On the industrial park where my business is based there is a small auto factor and parts supplier who we have become quite friendly with over the years, they stock a range of products for a firm called DURITE and I borrowed a catalouge from them to see if they had all the components I needed. The DURITE calalogue has an entire section for marine instrumentation, BINGO!

So, new Tachometer (Rev counter), Water Temp gauge, Oil pressure gauge, Volt meter, Amp meter, Engine runtime and service interval meter, battery charging warning lamp, 3x splash proof toggle switches for Bilge pump, Fresh water pump and screen wiper, cig lighter and new unique keyed ignition switch. All mounted on a CNC machined and engraved black panel.

I am lucky enough to have access to a CNC Milling machine which I used for the manufacture of the panel, just couln't resist putting the boat name and logo on it!

Andy.

post-750-136713645588_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713645595_thumb.jpg

This is my next job to complete....

The rear ensuite shower / toilet has a very small basin and we wanted to replace with a larger one. The existing basin is fully inset and the replacement needed to be the same as to the left of it is the shower mixer unit which is very fiddly to use as variations in the hot and cold water pressure when the pump is running means it is almost impossible to achieve a constant temperature. So as can be seen from the photo, a new thermostatic shower mixer has been deployed.

when the job is complete, the basin will be fitted with a forset type single mixer tap with remote waste control. the new basin and shower unit mounting panel has been made from MDF and laminated with GRP. A strip of anodised aluminium has been used to trim the lower front edge in keeping with the rest of the original installation.

More pictures to follow when complete.

Andy.

post-750-136713645605_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713645614_thumb.jpg

Exterior Changes:

ES's exterior was in pretty good shape when we brought her so only cosmetic changes so far.

Fenders, Upper helm seat and cover, seat pads for bench seat on deck area, covers for all opening roof hatches and saloon / upper deck door and roof opening. Fitted permanent external digital tv ariel, rear mounted lifebuoy and finally a pulpitt rail.

Andy.

post-750-136713645623_thumb.jpg

post-750-13671364587_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713645876_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonny,

Well, its Grey - drab, cold, unwelcoming, dark, miserable, its just too Grey...

We would like something - warm, light, airy, and co-ordinated. Anything but Grey, why even the head lining is Grey!

The picture below is IMHO better.

The following link provides a 3D view : http://www.kriscruisers.co.uk/res/panos/panoPamela.html

cheers!

Andy.

post-750-136713646205_thumb.jpg

Next on the list - The Instrument panel.

Andy.

Nice one, did you engrave the labelling and then paint it?

I like the 5mph and 7mph revolutions labels,

just about enough room to add the 3mph and 4mph

ones for proper Broads daudling...

Watch out or you will have plenty of "friends" asking "could you do one for me as well"...

Martin

Hi Martin,

Regarding the instument panel. The base material is a laminated hard plastic, the front and back surface are both gloss black but the center lamination is white. We used a horizontal CNC mill to cut away the black surface to reveal the white underneath. cutting depth is less than 1.0mm and the cutter diameter was 0.75mm. Below is a picture of the mill used to make our panel,

cheers!

Andy.

post-750-136713646208_thumb.jpg

Aha! I knew I had one somwhere, this is the exact material we have chosen for our seating and matresses.

The seating design has a more prominant bull-nose edge that will be in the solid colour as per this picture and the actual seat section will have the pattern.

Matresses will be in the same solid colour as the bull-nose section.

cheers!

Andy.

post-750-136713646858_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Andy, She`s looking better already, and will be stunning when finished. The Plastic you made the dash panel from, can you remember what it`s called?, as years ago when i was in the navigational instrument industry, we worked next door to an engravers and they used to use a lot of that type of material, but i can`t remember what it was called. The plastic sheet used to come in several different colour combinatins, so if you want something other than Black on white or vice versa, it could be done. Lovely job though, but i`m with jonny thinking grey is a neutral colour for an interior, thats why i partially done Mistral with it. Regards to all......................Neil. :wave:wave

Hi Neil,

The base material for the instrument panel is available through any durite stockist (Most motor factors)

it's called COBEX Engraving Laminate and available in Black/White or Red/White, the last item in this pdf.

http://www.durite.co.uk/pdf/3/03.5%20sw ... minate.pdf

I have found the durite website to be most useful and they also supply marine specific gauges.

http://www.durite.co.uk

cheers!

Andy