Evening Star - Refit

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Andy, Looking at the piccies of the salloon as she is now, the idea of converting the sideboard into extra seating was most definately the correct decision. When we hired Twilight in 95, we thought it needed a sofa opposite, and when we hired Aston sapphire in 96, she had the same salloon layout as yours. The only thing i would do if Evening Star was mine, would be to do away with that awful (only my opinion) quarter berth, and have a corner sideboard instead. Hopefully, we`ll be back on the Broads next year, and if we see you, we`ll say hello, or give you a wave. Regards .................... Neil.

Hi Neil,

thanks for your comments, if you do away with the quarter berth there would end up being a fair bit of wasted space behind the engine compartment, if you have ever seen the layout of "Megellan" (Lowliner 44) you will know what I mean? And in any case my youngest daughter loves sleeping in there. I have seen a few different fit outs of this type of boat, HJII for example has the quarter birth as a separate compartment, maybe that might be a plan for the future.

cheers!

Andy.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Andy, i remember the Tamar bridge class from Stalham yacht services, later Rivercraft, had the quarter berth in a cabin. I always thought it would be a tad claustraphobic for some, but i always used to like sleeping in snug cabins. Regards ............... Neil.

hi andy,looking really smart.. have never hired this type of boat guess the nearest type would of been gainsborough girl, is your engine under the saloon floor or aft. hope you guys enjoy the rest of the season, happy boating cheers

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi andy, I`m 99% certain ALL the lowliner classes have the engine under the upper level steering position floor, which is aft of the salloon, and opposite the galley. I may be wrong, and if so, i willfully stand to be corrected. Regards ............. Neil.

• 1 month later...

There has not been much to write about recently, but have just got around to one important (in my view) finishing touch. ES has an opening butterfly roof, not that it has had much use this summer! But it's not the prettiest thing to look at fron the inside. We wanted to tidy the appearance up but not effect the functionality of the roof. I approached a local blind manufacturer who has recently developed a style of conservatory blind that simply fixes to the existing upvc window frame and the design is equally well at home mounted horizontally. This firm manufacture to order / size. What do you think???

Andy

post-750-136713765273_thumb.jpg

post-750-13671376553_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713765539_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713765549_thumb.jpg

post-750-13671376556_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Not much been happening recently with our "little" project as we have been out and about on the river enjoying her! :dance:dance:dance

Those of you who have followed this thread will know that early on we changed the galley sink and worktop arrangement in favour of a round bowl and separate round drainer, both in stainless steel. "ES" was fitted with a 'vanette' four burner hob and separate grill / oven in cream, both of which are now obsolete. I was scouring the pages of ebay a few weeks ago and came across a seller who had a new 'vanette' hob in stainless steel - one of the last few to be made. So a quick click of the buy it now button and it was soon delivered. Now what to do with the oven? It was never manufactured in stainless, although they do have a replacement unit in stainless finish but it is a single combo oven and grill and therefore not the same size. After 1/2 an hour Googling the subject I stumbled across another LPG appliance manufacturer 'Spinflo' who make an oven and grill unit to the same dimensions as the older 'vanette' one, and yes its available in stainless steel :clap:clap:clap

cheers!

Andy

post-750-136713774939_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Hi Dan,

It does not have a light, but it does have a 240v supply for the handy spark ignition! Another usful feature is the addition of the bottom pan drawer!

cheers!

Andy

When i bought my flat in the early 90s, i bought a brand new cooker which had a press button spark igniter which was powered by a large one and a half volt battery. I sold the flat 4+ years ago (to buy Karen and i`s bungalow) and left the cooker there and it still had the same battery and was working fine. Is the spark igniter ONLY 240v Andy?. It really does improve the look of the galley, and a good buy :clap:clap .

• 4 months later...

Not much been happening over the winter... But this weekend I gave in to a couple of jobs.

Firstly, the horn. a pitiful squeek rather than a horn, with the sounder burried away at the back of a cupboard in the front of the bow! Much louder inside than out. Problem now solved...

post-750-136713801553_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713801559_thumb.jpg

Upgrade to audio visual system, to include Blu-ray playback capability to all 3 LCD HD panels, full DOLBY 5.1 surround sound with 8" sub-bass speaker built into the base of seating unit, and Alpine audio for CD/MP3/Ipod/USB and FM playback. Proper home from home I'd say.

cheers!

Andy.

post-750-136713801815_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713801826_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713801832_thumb.jpg

post-750-13671380184_thumb.jpg

Upgrade to audio visual system, to include Blu-ray playback capability to all 3 LCD HD panels, full DOLBY 5.1 surround sound with 8" sub-bass speaker built into the base of seating unit, and Alpine audio for CD/MP3/Ipod/USB and FM playback. Proper home from home I'd say.

cheers!

Andy.

And there I was thinking all the noise when were trying to sleep was the hireboat full of young lads next door.... :o:o

8" sub-bass, is that in place of the echo sounder transponder? :lol::lol:

Martin

• 5 months later...

Well, how much have we used Evening Star this year? As of this afternoon our engine run time has been 342 hours criusing since February! So a fair bit then?

Finally got around to a couple of jobs that I have wanted to do for a while.... Firstly After a fair bit of mechanical work last year I wanted to give the old BMC a freshen up with a coat of paint.... Much improved....

Secondly, when we had her in pieces last year refitting the interior, I ran the cable to provide a shore power hook up to our inverter and a battery charger. Just needed to finish the job with a suitable power isolator and external connection. I have opted for a "proper" marine grade fitting, unlike the typical ones I have seen around the HW boat yard. More expensive but worth it I think?

cheers!

Andy.

post-750-136713855453_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713855457_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713855462_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713855747_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713855757_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

We wanted to extend the use of Evening Star to be able to cruise after dusk and so to the navigation lights..... In addition to the required illumination we decided to install the addition of a 100w spot lamp as the entrance into Herbert Woods yard in the dark could be quite tricky without one...

post-750-136713867143_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713867155_thumb.jpg

post-750-13671386745_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713867461_thumb.jpg