Evening Star - Refit

• 2 months later...

Well decision made...... Next area of attention - Master cabin en-suite.

Rip out and renew. 18 Months ago I replaced the wash basin and found a couple of areas of damp timber, so always been nagging in the back of my mind....

Went up to Potter today (Sunday) to completly rip out the existing installation. (Will post a couple of piccys later)

Off now to make templates for new panels.....

cheers!

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

On a slightly different note....... I have been reading a little regarding the effects of electrolysis on boats using sure power. HW are planning to install 240v and fresh water supply in the marina apparrently some time soon, So we will be able to leave ES 'plugged in' over the winter months for charging batteries ( we nearly lost her to the depths last year due to bilge pump exhausting the domestic supply!) Anyway, I have overlooked this important issue when fitting my shore power installation, and have seen the devastation that this problem can cause. While I was up at HW today I was speaking with the head engineer who recommended a "Galvanic Isolator" to be installed in the Earth cable between the shore power conector and the consumer unit. So ordered one today! Will be fitted on next visit....

cheers!

Andy

Hi Andy

There is some information and pictures in this thread; pages 24 & 32 (on my machine anyway)

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2948&hilit=galvanic&start=345

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2948&hilit=east+coast+diary&start=465

David had fitted his Galvanic Isolator I had one to fit but left it off as a controlled experiment to see the wear, I wish I had fitted it earlier!

Mine was fitted with most of the help from David :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Well a couple of days and what progress !!! Never tried this laminating lark before but the results are truly fabulous.... The bathroom is now fully paneled and ready for the sink and shower mixer to be plumbed in. we have decided to tile a splash area around the basin and then it will be ready for the sealant gun!!! Very tired, but very happy :party::party::party:

cheers!

Andy

post-750-13671388846_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713888759_thumb.jpg

post-750-13671388877_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713888776_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713888785_thumb.jpg

12:35am Friday 24th February

Just got back from spending most of the day in Potter Heigham putting the final bits together. An absolutely glorious day weather wise with a temperature of 17 degrees and almost no wind. Beautiful. We are nearly finished now with only grouting of the tiled splash back area around the basin to do before towel rail, mirror, shower head and other items can be fitted.

cheers!

Andy

post-750-136713890679_thumb.jpg

post-750-13671389069_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713890696_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713890702_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713890997_thumb.jpg

Just a small modification...... Earlier in this thread I posted details of the Surround Sound system installed in "ES". The sub-woofer speaker in the base of the seating unit (shown in previous pictures) was installed in a sealed cabinet within the seat base. This is the simplist form of installation for such a speaker and is technically known as an acoustic suspension. The volume of air in the sealed cabinet helps control the motion of the speaker cone and also provides a baffle against the rear occuring wave, and hence improves low frequency delivery. One problem with such an installation is the ammount of soft materials used paricularly in the seating and other items such as curtains and head linings, these materials love to absorb low frequencies and overall lower the audable output. Now I have not tried to recreate a nightclub experience afloat, far from it, but I do enjoy, and have a passion good quality audio. Not wishing to ramble on with the technicalities..... An easy way to address the problem of output loss would simply be to add another speaker, but with some maths and a length of tube it is possible to create what is known as a "ported bass reflex" installation. Basically this is how the majority of commercially available sub-woofers work. Put simply, it is possible to "tune" a volume of air to resonate within the tube "the port" at a certain frequency, the outcome is that notes around that frequency end up being boosted by several Db with no extra power being required. Bingo!

cheers!

Andy

post-750-136713891003_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

That`s looking pretty damn good Andy. Will you be out and about on the southern rivers in early May, as Karen and i, as well as Dave and April, (Mr&Mrs Stranger) will be doing the southern rivers then, so if you`re around, it would nice to say hello?.

Hi Neil,

Will be around the weekend of the first May bank holiday Sat 5th to Monday 7th, with my youngest daughter. We will probably end up at Oulton on Sunday evening. "ES" is being lifted out Wednesday 9th for a Bow Thruster, Hull Paint (Navy Blue), Antifoul and new Prop. We don't have any specific plans and could meet anywhere if thats when you are about?

cheers!

Andy

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Andy, yes, we`ll be staying south side, so hopefully we`ll be looking for navy blue hulled Lowliner (maybe even with a minature version on the back? ;);) ). Swallow is very easy to spot with her white hull and varnished superstructure, also being fwd dv, so if you see us, please give us a shout.

• 1 month later...

Well it never ends does it? Taken the plunge today to replace the 4 batteries on "ES" with the "Proper" thing.

We have been running standard lead acid batteries and have had a few problems with longlevity. The problem is the domestic bank and the fact that repeated charging and discharging results in a very short life. Hopefully here is the answer.....

cheers!

Andy

post-750-136713898961_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713899255_thumb.jpg

post-750-136713899265_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean Andy, we and our berthing neighbour have just replaced with Victrons and even at full trade discount it still hurt, but with a seven year life expectancy it does soften the blow a little.

Hi Jonny,

I have a trade account with a motor factor here in Crawley, The Yuasa Marine batteries cost £87+vat each. Not sure what the retail is on them but as a comparison, I paid £65+vat each for the last set of Schnap Gold lead acid ones, and they are now dead, that was only eighteen months ago. If I get five years out of these I would consider that a reasonably good investment.

cheers!

Andy