Evening Star - Refit

It`s amazing how just a few extra touches can really improve even a lowly hire boat. The upper steering position looks really neat,  Have you thought about having some of the immitation teak decking fitted, then i would really look "privatized"?.

Regards to all .................... Neil.

• 10 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Just thought it worth reporting on a little misfortune encountered this weekend............ :(

While browsing the pages of Ebay one evening a couple of weeks ago I came across a spin on type oil filter adaptor kit to suit the BMC 1.5. After a little research it seems this is quite a popular modification as the "O" ring seal in the old skool canister type filter seems to be quite difficult to seal. It seemed a worthwhile modification, so I ordered one. It duly arrived last week, A filter head casting, gasket, spin on filter and 2 bolts.

So off to Potter Heigham we go on Sunday to fit it!

It seemed such a simple job.... Remove old engine oil, Remove existing filter head casting and canister, replace head casting and gasket, install new spin on filter then refill engine oil, and you're ready to go? Well that's the theory anyway........

Having completed the change over I left the engine room doors open (Into the galley) and proceeded to the lower helm to start her up....... 20 Seconds of heat followed by a flick of the starter and she's away........ After what seemed a very short time I was horrified to hear the oil pressure warning buzzer. I turned around and to my horror the galley was covered in engine oil :( I immediately stopped the engine. After a lengthy process of cleaning up I removed the new filter and filter head casting to examine further. What I found and what I now know are a little unbelievable.

The filter head casting it turns out is a fairly universal part, apparently it can be fitted to Perkins 4.107 and 4.108 as well as the BMC 1.5 . Many suppliers sell this kit all using the same casting. The oil filter head mounting flange on the BMC block is round. The adaptor kit filter head casting is round with a flat top section. Curiously my engine's mounting flange has what looks like a crescent in the top right hand area and this is what causes the oil to be thrown out by the pump under enormous pressure :(

I have had good advice and help from Calcutt Boats regarding all things BMC and they asked to see a picture my engine's filter head flange. They have come back to me today and said that my engine block casting is at fault as the flange is supposed to be round........ Of course if it was the filter head casting would fit and seal up perfectly fine......

I have designed an adaptor plate that has the face of the block flange on one face and the filter head flange on the other, I have access to a CNC Mill so off to the workshop tomorrow to machine it up........

Andy

post-222-0-56940700-1404252039_thumb.jpg

post-222-0-48487400-1404252067_thumb.jpg

post-222-0-60547200-1404252094_thumb.jpg

post-222-0-30363800-1404252123_thumb.jpg

post-222-0-35314400-1404252136_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy. I fitted one of those from Calcutt a couple of months

ago and it fitted ok and works ok too.

I didn't notice if the casting had a 'cutout' like the one in your

photo but I did have a problem with one of the bolts that came

in the kit. It would not screw in whatever I tried, including

cleaning up the threads with a proper thread file(I was a fitter

before retirement) and then had to cut down one of the original

bolts to fit.

What should have been a half hour job ended up taking around 2hrs in total.

Forgot to add that ours is a 1995 BMC 1.5 diesel too.