Wayford Marine

Jocave

Quick question has anyone had any dealings with this company , more specifically the boat sales side of it ?? They have a couple of boats I may be interested in but its a ten hour round trip for me so don't want to waste my time unless I can combine it with my next trip across in August..cheers

Only reason for asking is the boats I am interested in are half the price of similar things where I live , I was under the impression that if somebody wanted a boat on the broads then the way to go was buy it elsewhere and get it transported over, from my few months of looking it seems the opposite, maybe its a supply and demand thing, maybe there are many more boats available in Norfolk so keeping prices competitive, or maybe its just the age/price/category that I'm looking at , but for my 10k budget I can get a far better example from Norfolk than I can from over here , you never know I could end up with a boat from Norfolk and then in ten years time when I retire end up bringing it back home when we move over to the east coast..

There is no better way to find out than visiting or getting someone you trust to look at them for you before you make the trip down. And then VERY importantly, get a proper survey done! It can cost you a few hundred pounds but may well save you thousands in a boat not fit for purpose.

We had a survey on the first boat we really fancied after 18 months of looking and were well pleased that we did! The boat had been to the bottom twice and the holes filled with car body filler(P38) and painted over with anti-foul. Fortunately the surveyor knew the boat and told us to walk away before he had even started!!

It took us another 14 months to find a good one which we bought. (Aquafibre Pearl 38).

Be very careful.

• Like 2

Wasn't there reports that the yard was closing this month? Probably some bloody good bargains there though...

Saying that boats are generally cheaper outside of the broads as the agencies here are really good at playing on peoples dreams! Look outside of the broads and bring into the broads really.. also better to buy on a cold november day when everyone just wants to be at home!

Hi Jocave, when we were looking for our first we stayed on a friends boat in brundall and visited many different yards and brokers. All I will say is don't limit yourself to one yard just because their boats are cheap and if it's on the hard ask to see it in the water with the engine running. Ask to see any bills for work done and check to see the work has been done. If there is a survey it would be worth giving a the surveyor a ring. Beware before you part with your hard earned cash and arrange to pay the balance when you are satisfied its kosher or when you collect it.

We have been lucky with both the boats we've bought although through NYA and Richardsons brokerages.

Colincheers

I bought a broads cruiser from Norfolk and shipped it down to Medway as true broads cruisers are few and far between out of the county.

If I sold it I would try first in Kent as I would have less competition but probably less buyers. 

Wayford have always had a good reputation as a down to earth yard.  A broker rarely offers a warranty as they sell on behalf of others,  get a good survey.  Don't expect perfection on an old boat though.

12 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

JC remember that buying a boat is the cheapest bit, then you discover chandlers, and suddenly you see things you didn't know existed, don't  need, don't  have room for, but must have.

Any owners deny that?

paul

I totally agree with that  ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZimbiIV said:

JC remember that buying a boat is the cheapest bit, then you discover chandlers, and suddenly you see things you didn't know existed, don't  need, don't  have room for, but must have.

Any owners deny that?

paul

Nope.......guilty as charged :grin:

Jon has a post running on FB -Norfolk Boat Jumble as per below

Griff

----------------------------------------------------

norman 24 mk ll
£4,000 – Wayford Bridge - River Ant

NORMAN with four stroke Yamaha engine
Been stood all original gel
Need lift out polish clean and antifouled engine service
Great boat cheap boating
We have others

Make an offer be quick

The point there is an invitation to make an offer. If the hull is sound and engine ok then think about how much you want to spend to make it habitable. Make an offer that reflects that. I get the feeling he's looking to clear this quickly,  that may or may not be related to the boat, but could relate to the possible yard circumstances? 

Given up with him ,sent various messages and emails and not had one reply. Budget has been upped to 10 k  and have a few viewings tomorrow and monday so have a few more options. At least i am dealing with people that can be bothered to reply...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VetChugger said:

You need to actually speak to these folk! They get more than their share of time wasters so will respond to direct contact. I think you will find most yards like this.

That's not really an excuse.. Any one who shows an interest is a potential sale.. maybe not now but you never know about the future.  Some people are also far far too busy to pick up the phone.. It really doesn't take much to answer an email..

• Like 3

7 hours ago, VetChugger said:

You need to actually speak to these folk! They get more than their share of time wasters so will respond to direct contact. I think you will find most yards like this.

Ermmm .... No you don't!!

If you've got money to spend they should be delighted to make contact & discuss your requirements.

If they can't be bothered then seek out people that can.

• Like 3